Forums Latest Members
  1. danomar Nov 21, 2015

2. Eric_navi Nov 21, 2015

It should sell for more than the start price.... But in addition to the incorrect bezel insert, it is missing lume on the dial.

3. danomar Nov 21, 2015

Ah... Good point about the lume. ;)

4. abrod520 Nov 21, 2015

Serial number looks a little scratchy too. It's not a super attractive example but as stated previously, it should sell above its starting point.

5. Davidt Nov 21, 2015

The starting price is probably what he's been offered elsewhere, so the seller is ensuring they don't get stung.

It's the most common 321 Speedmaster but the dial, movement and bezel are the 3 most important aspects. Given the fact that the bezel is a modern replacement and the dial has lost the lume, it will probably sell above the start price in the current market, but I don't expect it to go nuts.

6. wsfarrell Nov 21, 2015

In addition to the above, it appears to have hour register creep, and (most importantly IMO) the starting bid is high enough to present a psychological barrier.

Davidt likes this.
  7. Davidt Nov 22, 2015

That's a good point about a psychological barrier. I often think items would sell better with a 0.99 start and no reserve. Seeing bids from other people breeds confidence that allows buyers to keep bidding.

Anyway, the more I look at this piece, the more I think it might not sell. Certainly a year ago it would've struggled but it's a bull market atm which will help.

Edited Nov 22, 2015
  8. Faz Nov 22, 2015

A typical example that was tweaked during it life. Not a deal breaker (if the price is right...I marvel at the price these command now!!). As mentionned here, its the most common pre-moon Speedmaster so I would wait for a better example with the correct elements. This one has a replacement bezel, crown, pushers and chrono hand as well as the tritium removed. Many watchmakers do this when the tritium degrades and flakes as it finds its way into the movement.

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 22, 2015

It is uninteresting and unattractive at this money. Poor dial, dodgy origin, dodgy serial, (because illegible and unquoted).
    The seller would have done SO much better with a .99 start, and probably be at his opening now.
    That would have drawn many people in, myself included, to support the initial interest.