Forums Latest Members
  1. vitriol Jan 16, 2020

There is one abbreviation which is worth extra clarification for a watch forum... FIFY
    It means here "fixed that for you" while in the outside world it means "fits in five years" ;)

2. rob#1 Jan 16, 2020

Mean spirited? Just having a gentle pop at the monarch, it’s a popular pastime for some, though I need to be careful lest she set the corgis on me.

Here’s the article = https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...zabeth-ii-height-how-tall-is-the-queen-shrunk

“That brings up an important point: People often seem to shrink as they age. As NBC reports, people shrink about a quarter to a third of an inch per decade for every decade after age 40. Men get about 1.2 inches to 1.5 inches shorter by age 70, and women lose up to 2 inches. Queen Elizabeth II is currently 92 years old, so it stands to reason that she isn’t standing quite as tall as she used to.”

DaveK and UncleBuck like this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 16, 2020

Good hearted jab at us old-timers, I felt.
    No sexism, no seniorism in my book.
    I make more fun of the young'uns than they do of me!

My adage is " I've been where you are child, you'll have to be damn lucky to be where I've been"!

DaveK likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 17, 2020

But wouldn't that be FTFY?

;)

gostang9 likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 17, 2020

I didn't think it was mean spirited, and as the OP got an answer, and the thread devolved into the usual madness, I took the "shortening" to be directed at Our Queen's hem line.

Clearly shortened as the years went by, and probably to prevent tripping over overly long robes and coats/dresses.

As to doing the same with a man, trousers don't provide the same risk for tripping as we get shorter, they just get more wrinkled at the break.

When you're my age (and older), a trip can be a bit more serious than a "whoops, that stung!", so any mitigation is sensible, if not fashionable.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 17, 2020

it’s an interesting reply but I took it as previous posters as a record— supposedly humorous and affectionate— of the shortening of the Queens figure as she is aging from beautiful lady standing tall to an endearing but somewhat shriveled figure.
    And some might find me “sensitive” and perhaps it is because I see aging relatives around me but also as a woman it wouldn’t cross my mind to poke fun at an aging woman (or an aging man as a matter of fact), and I submit it’s always men making those jokes— about women’s bodies.

Meanwhile 80 year old males like Rupert Murdoch are being held in admiration as powerful figures.

How often do you see the media poking fun in such a visual public fashion of the physical shortcomings of male figures as they age? Would you like me to try those jokes on the forum and see how funny you find it?

How about joking about Buzz Aldrin-“ yeah he’s got nice watches, now he can use them to time visits to the bathroom”.

The Queen didnt go to the moon but she did drive ambulances during the war as a teenager.
    Yeah sorry, I have very little sense of humor on certain subjects.

Add @JimInOz these were general comments in the discussion, not directed to your reply specifically.

Edited Jan 17, 2020
    STANDY and kkt like this.
  7. yande Jan 17, 2020

Not in my circles he ain't..

kkt, Archer, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 17, 2020

Here neither........but I have to admit that Dame Helen Mirren is held in my "sphere of admiration".

If I look and act half as well as she does when I'm her age I'll be very happy (two years to go so who knows?).

Syrte likes this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 17, 2020

Fine... let's take Al Gore then.
    Have you ever seen or heard any joke about his evolving physique?

Edit / add -
    Dame Helen Mirren as well as Jane Fonda are held in my sphere of admiration too.

But again don't the majority of people admire Jane Fonda because of how gracefully and beautifully she is maintaining her appearance as she is ageing?
    Does anyone discuss and admire her intelligence and her perfect command of the French language, or for example her eloquent recollections of the French new wave cinema or the youth rebellion movements of the late 1960s ?
    I discovered her brilliance on a French radio cultural program - has anyone seen or heard such subjects being mentioned about her lately?

Okay, I rest my case -apology for the prolonged thread drift. Back to "shortenings."
    Signed: OF Shrew

Edited Jan 17, 2020
    kkt and KingCrouchy like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 18, 2020

More shortenings, ha ha ha.
    (perhaps I wasn’t entirely correct about the double standards- no point is too low for the British tabloids).

0FD3FD18-3444-4A98-8A0F-4B001DF67124.png 99B948E2-7FFC-4EAA-A957-780EE1E5A22B.png
    rob#1, UncleBuck and DaveK like this.
  11. jsducote Jan 18, 2020

Wait. Rob Lowe's most traumatic experience is someone else losing his hair? ::facepalm1::
    I need to live a life like that.

Syrte and DaveK like this.
  12. dx009 Jan 18, 2020

[​IMG]