Forums Latest Members

Is the Seiko LX a value proposition

1. Jonathan40 Feb 12, 2021

image.jpg
    The specs are out there for all to see. I’ve owned this limited edition for 3 months now and can’t really think of anything better spec for the cost. Rolex GMT slayer? You bet.
    In the daylight the light plays wonderfully with the dial. One I will never sell, check them out.

2. ConElPueblo Feb 12, 2021

At that size, it sure looks as if it has eaten a Rolex GMT.

vitriol, Walrus and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  3. Walrus Feb 12, 2021

It is a beautiful watch no doubt but yeah the size throws me off a bit (not that I was going to run out and pick one up anyway). Seiko is doing things you just don’t seems being done often. Yeah they have so many LE and DC models rather quickly. But I’m impressed with every seiko piece I have. I really do think I could just collect seikos and be content, I’m not going to just saying I could. Can I ask you what the dimensions are on that beauty you picked up. It really is striking.

4. Jonathan40 Feb 12, 2021

I’ve owned loads of Rolex models over the years, Boy Explorers to Deepsea’s and everything in between. Same with Omega but now settled on my 57 and 2 Moonwatches, however Seiko I could loose myself in daily.
    And yes, it’s a large watch but grade 5 titanium takes care of that, and just a slice of Zaratsu polishing helps.

5. Jonathan40 Feb 12, 2021

Sorry missed your question.
    Case Size
    Thickness:

Diameter:

Length:

Weight
    g
    Full spec below
    https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/prospex/special/lxlinesky/

Walrus likes this.
  6. Walrus Feb 12, 2021

Wow so the lug to lug is over 50mm. The diameter at 44.8 really isn’t that crazy. I mean there are plenty of watches in that size. But IMO that is an intense lug to lug. Mind you that’s just my opinion I have a hang up on lug to lug size and a lot of it has to do with my job but that has no bearing on this topic. So yeah I’m not going to trash a watch because there is something I don’t like about it. Like I said I’m not in the market for one anyway. That is actually a desirable size for many people these days. Beautiful looking timepiece. I even like the “power indicator” sorry I’m using the wrong word it’s not coming to me right now long week. I hear some people complain about that and the text sometimes saying it clogs up the dial, I like it all. So enjoy and wear in good health.

maybe I can ask you. This year I will be making one, major watch purchase” well for me it’s major. It’s most likely going to be a seamaster but Tudor and GS are on the short list. Have you yet had to service a spring drive. I’ve heard tell for a period of time the GS or at least the spring drive needed to go to Japan for service. Then I heard they now have a location in the US that services them. I’m curious about that and the price difference say seiko servicing a spring drive and maybe omega servicing one of their co axials. Just curious I can look it up again but I was getting conflicting info in cases like that I like to talk to humans who have done it.

7. Jonathan40 Feb 12, 2021

Hi, no not had to service a spring drive yet so can’t comment on price or time away sorry. I think I have one major purchase in 2021 also and I’m certain it’s going to be a GS white dial model. I’ve not scratched the GS itch despite the LV being close but I would love to add a GS auto with exhibition case back to appreciate the finish. Again I’ve owned various KS vintage pieces with grammar of design style but feel I need to own and handle and enjoy a GS I love the new SLGH005 but price is a little high compared to a Snowflake.
    Quick look has the 5R Seiko service at $510 so on par with co-axial Omega.

Edited Feb 12, 2021
    Walrus likes this.