Forums Latest Members
  1. Danders Sep 27, 2022

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hello,

Let me preface by saying I have never owned a mechanical watch before. I have worn my quartz Tag Heuer 1500 series ever since my parents bought it for me as a 21st birthday present second hand some 10 years ago.

Over the last couple of years, an obsession has been born. I consume watch content veraciously and have always considered myself an omega fanboy.
    I'm aching to purchase my first piece and have become woefully enamoured with this 9ct 131.25016 with applied Arabic numerals.
    (Padders sold a very similar one in 2018 here) . https://omegaforums.net/threads/1969-omega-geneve-9k-gold-131-25016-–-serviced-unpolished.78148/

I love the case profile, the British racing green strap, its slenderness. I love the cal 601 garners respect from all corners and that its quite rugged and resilient.

For me, this would be a daily wearer, rather than a collectable, but I have felt this passionately about a watch before, only to go off it in time or find out that the piece was a dud (not worth the asking price or anywhere near).
    I want to be sure that it is a decent value proposition at this price before pulling the trigger.

The asking on Chrono24 is €750 excl shipping (GBP £650 - the euro is weak today, roughly USD $720) - which is about the ceiling of what I am willing to pay right now. I know Padders one sold for cheaper and in better condition but I understand that the market prices have skyrocketed in the 4 years since.

You'll see from the photos that the caseback is engraved and tarnished from polishing. The seller has been pretty forthcoming with the flaws in the watch, and professes to a dint on the dial outside the minute track below 8, shallow scratches on the unsigned crystal and caseback, slight marks on the movement, and a slightly knurled area on the left hand side of the case.

The omega pin buckle is gold plated and the signed winding crown is a gold embossed replacement that the seller fitted during his time of ownership (previous crown was unsigned). I asked if there were pictures of the movement available for viewing, but owing to the modular case and solid caseback, the owner is unable to supply any as the crystal would need to be removed. Seller remarks in the post that it is keeping good time and was serviced 2 years ago. I have just now messaged asking if there was an indication of sec +/- per day but have not yet heard back.

Is this worth the asking in today's market?

There is another of the same ref available at birth year watches here that features a video (also on chrono24) https://www.birthyearwatches.com/product/1966-omega-9k-gold-2/

I see this second as a backup for a number of reasons.
    Firstly, at 750 pounds (860 euro on chrono24), it's that little bit more than I am comfortable with paying right now, just enough to sweat a little (also curious if this second is worth its asking).

Here, the winding crown, plexi and pin buckle are unsigned and the dial is not marked geneve.

While the pin and crown are replacements in the first one, I am quite a sucker for these! I'm also quite taken with the green strap which I think is quite characterful and a bit more unique. I also think the enscription on the caseback adds character and history.

How much does an engraving devalue a watch?

Interesting to note, of the iterations of this I have seen, I have never seen an original omega signed pin, crown or crystal. Is it possible that the originals never had these either?

While I do prefer the first, I would be more than happy to go for the second if it is a considerably better value proposition. Is it worth the extra £100 coming from a professional dealer with a 3 month guarantee?

Sorry for the behemoth of essays. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the advice and help!

2. Danders Sep 27, 2022

3. BarbVl Oct 2, 2022

I think you did not receive opinions because the pictures are still not visible here. You can try to upload them again.