Forums Latest Members

Is the new Planet Ocean GMT a worthy successor to the Rolex GMT?

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 4, 2013

See I have this feeling we'll see Rolex replace almost its entire lineup in the next year or so with Calibre 9001 based movements (The SkyDweller is a modular watch, with a calendar mechanism piggy backed onto a time only base movement that is a major upgrade over Calibre 3135).

2. dcfis Jul 6, 2013

Ill say it, Omega has to stop with the absolutely asinine crystal casebacks on the professional line. Make it an option if you must but adding the 2mm to an already clownish thickness is just too much. I wont even go into the HeV valve on a non diver gmt but that alone is why rolex is still tops and Omega is flashy player and if you need further proof then the caseback on a professional watch.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 6, 2013

Huh? You're entirely entitled to your opinion, nobody's holding a gun at your head and telling you to buy a Planet Ocean GMT, but plenty of people do like the sapphire displaybacks, especially as they don't come at the cost of water resistance and show off the rather excellent Calibre 8605 movement. I'm not entirely sure what to even make of the flashy player nonsense, other than to point out that the Daytona comes in both a rainbow sapphire bezel variant and a leopard variant...

Frankly as a Rolex Submariner and Daytona owner its people that carry on with this sort of fanboy nonsense that are cheapening the Rolex brand and ruining it for genuine collectors.

Hijak likes this.
  4. dcfis Jul 6, 2013

Cool down Captain Omega, If a sapphire display back doing nothing but adding 2mm onto a professional tool watch then its for flash only. If that is your response to defend your opinion at the expense of others is to personally paint them as general as you can then yours is of the weakest variety.

The special version Daytona argument is as juvenile as it get so I wont address it.

If you are a "collector" with your sub and daytona then Im a much bigger collector and even a bigger Omega collector. Who is cheapening it for whom?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 6, 2013

Sorry, a caseback that can't be seen when your wearing it makes it flashy?

6. dcfis Jul 6, 2013

It makes it 2mm higher, and unbalanced for NO reason AT ALL.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 6, 2013

The reason being one of the major features of the new PO GMT is the movement, they've gone to a fair bit of trouble finishing it well, and a lot of owners do enjoy it. I made my Cal 321 Speedmaster about 2mm higher adding a Thomas Preik displayback purely because its cool to be able to see that movement.

8. dcfis Jul 7, 2013

Options are fine, no problem at all. As it is there is nothing in the Omega "Professional" line that is Professional except the good ole speedy. You should be able to get a base watch PO/ GMT ect that you do not have to make a triple six feel thin.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2013

It depends on how you look at it. Rolex already make divers that are as comparatively thin as their 3135 movements permit, they've been doing it for a long time and they're good at it. Omega has a thin diver in the Cal 2500D Seamaster Pro, but when I think Omega divers I think of the Big Blue 120M, Ploprof 600/1200, SHOM, and the other big heavy divers they made, on Isofrane or mesh. The even the comparatively small Seamaster 300 itself was big for its era at 41mm and Omega only kept going north from there.

That's part of why the monster Cal 9300 Planet Ocean chronograph holds so much appeal to me, its impractically large size and bombproof build hark back to the big blue and flightmaster cased Seamasters of the 70s.

10. dcfis Jul 7, 2013

The cal 2500 is a superb watch. The shame of it is the SM300 was and is an outstanding watch and the grandfather for the PO, I feel the new ceramics miss that boat now due to the size for size, they messed with that proportion and balance. Its a simple fix and a simple request- make the hippocampus an option. BTW I also feel the Deep Sea did this also and destroyed the Grecian symmetry of the two previous Sea Dwellers (666 is better than the 16600 IMO)

I love the Proplof and think the new one is excellent, and you are right, I never liked those odd domes of the 70s.

11. ctime3 Jul 7, 2013

I agree with all of you. I saw the watch at the boutique and the orange really pops like an expresso. The uniqueness makes it different. I saw a guy in the WAWA wearing one getting coffee. The watch stood out like a butter commercial. I myself am hooked on the speedmaster professionals.

12. ulackfocus Jul 7, 2013

Rolex doesn't use a display back on most of their watches because they'd have to lower the retail price due to the lack of finishing on their movements. If the general public saw it, especially sitting next to a nicely finished movement, they wouldn't worship the brand as much.

13. Majmvt Jul 7, 2013

Hey Doug, I must be on your watch glide path.. Love the GMT MII, and was also looking at the 50th Anniversary GMT for an everyday traveler. So sell me yours and go buy the PO.. The PO's are beautiful, I will definitely need one for the collection as well..

14. eelpie Jul 7, 2013

So, should I buy the 1610/930, or will the 'Bond' bracelet that's on it now suit you?

I want to be accommodating . . .

Majmvt likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 7, 2013

I like display case backs if they show off a nice movement....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 7, 2013

Off to a BBQ, but I will respond to this one with some photos at some point...

Cheers, Al

17. dcfis Jul 7, 2013

No need, people that cant grasp it, wont.

18. ulackfocus Jul 7, 2013

Grasp what exactly? The undying fanaticism of Rolex fanboys?

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 7, 2013

Thanks, but despite your opinions I'll post it anyway....

Charlemagne likes this.
  20. dcfis Jul 7, 2013

Until this forum, I really did not know the persecution syndrome and complex some Omega fans have. To be fair I dont believe I have come across it anywhere else so hopefully its just the flavor of this particular group. After all nothing is quite as sad as fighting perceived fanaticism with fanaticism.

There is no with us or against us, thats sadly in your mind. If we care about watches we care about all watches and there is no need to always have that persecution card ready to pull.