Is the boutique experience worth the premium sale price?

I have been lurking around our new boutique in Tampa since it opened and have purchased small items including a few straps so far. I’m in the market for a Hesalite 3861 this year for an anniversary present to myself and would like all opinions about the purchase experience. My wife will be paying the lion’s share of the purchase as we didn’t buy it for our wedding as intended initially. The big question for me is the experience of everything being new and original from my OB versus the huge savings from other grey market or OF members here that offer this same watch for far less in complete box, paper's, and warranty cards as well.

Thank you for the advice -Scott

In my opinion, no, the OB premium is not worth the experience but choose an alternative seller that can provide you with the manufacturer's warranty because THAT is worth having and many grey market sellers can't offer it.

Like 8
No unless it's a limited edition piece, or if they can get you the white 3861 now so you can circumvent gray market scalpers.

Like 4
I couldn’t bring myself to walk in the door of anywhere so pretentious as somewhere that feels the need to be referred to as a boutique, I’ll leave that for the poodle fakers!

Like 4
I couldn’t bring myself to walk in the door of anywhere so pretentious as somewhere that feels the need to be referred to as a boutique, I’ll leave that for the poodle fakers!
They do offer a bottle of water while you wait for service though :whistling:

Like 2
I always feel as though I have more in common with the armed security at the entrance than the sales associate but I thought that was a ME problem. My wife works with wealthy people and says it’s an experience thing that’s worth doing at least once in a lifetime.

Edit -I own 9 Omega watches all of which are pre owned and this will be my first new watch purchase

Like 4
They do offer a bottle of water while you wait for service though :whistling:
I’d consider it if they offered me a bottle of single malt……..but water? Filthy stuff…..fish shit in it!

Like 4
I will give the NYC OB a thumbs up for giving my significant other and me the boutique experience even though we didn’t buy anything there. My SO tried on a number of watches and they couldn’t have been nicer to us - champagne, chocolate, the works. Everyone there including the doorman was a class act. If the staff at every OB is like this,Omega is in very good hands at the retail level.

Like 8
I will give the NYC OB a thumbs up for giving my significant other and me the boutique experience even though we didn’t buy anything there. My SO tried on a number of watches and they couldn’t have been nicer to us - champagne, chocolate, the works. Everyone there including the doorman was a class act. If the staff at every OB is like this,Omega is in very good hands at the retail level.
I completely agree with you and the staff at my location are great as well. This is why the question came up because they are available to source products that my parts account friend can only help with if I have perfect part numbers. The OB has access to everything available and I feel that they should be thrown a bone every now and then for the services they provide. Plus the plush couch you get to sit on with all the brass Omega swag everywhere.

Like 1
Not worth it to me. Bought only one watch from a boutique, the Apollo 11 50th, by pure chance. Walked into the OB in St. Louis in March 2019 not even aware that there was one coming and just chatted to the sales staff and manager and ended up paying for it in full ($9,650 + tax), only sketchy details were available, no pics or anything, delivery date unknown. Got a half bottle of champagne. When the watch came in in August 2019 they FedEx'd it to me along with some free swag (pens, pins) and that was that. I don't need hand holding, but appreciate that others do and that's fine. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Every boutique I've visited over the years the staff has always been friendly and helpful. I was in the Houston OB a few years ago and mentioned it was our wedding anniversary and they gave me a full bottle of champagne, and I'd never bought a thing from them. But then I was in the store in February this year and they completely ignored me. I used to drop into the San Antonio boutique a couple of times a year, and I've bought a couple of straps and buckles from them, but they seem to have abandoned ship and appear to be moving the boutique 90 miles away to Austin. Not as convenient for me so probably won't be visiting them anytime soon.

Like 2
My experience was different way back in 2015. I bought my first luxury watch, a used brown dial Speedmaster moon watch, from a reputed grey market dealer. It was stated that the watch was in excellent condition. When I went to purchase it, I overlooked a small chip on the bottom side of the case. I noticed it after taking it home and immediately called the dealer, who refused to take it back. I sold it to another dealer at a loss to purchase a new one from a boutique.

After purchasing a new moon watch from the boutique, which cost a bit more than used, I was unlucky again as there was a tiny scratch on the case, which I noticed after taking it home. I sent the pictures to the boutique and they replaced the watch within 2 days. Boutiques, at least the one in Sydney, Australia, do look after you well during purchase and after. I bought the Aqua Terra World Timer a few years later from the same boutique. Buying used from the grey market felt like a bit of a gamble, especially for someone like me who is so obsessive-compulsive about the condition of the watch unless they are selling it unworn with a manufacturer warranty or barely used.

Like 1
I'd just get it at an AD. Or Jomashop if the price is so low I can factor in a factory service if the watch needs it. Don't care about the champagne premium associated with a Boutique, or if they give me an Omega cap.

That said, I have heard of folks regretting not having a Boutique history once they became interested in high demand pieces such as the Snoopy.

So, it's up to you what you value more.

Like 2
Unless you want to be the FIRST to have something (like a white dial Speedy) or you want a LIMITED piece that may be otherwise difficult or impossible to get through an AD, second hand market, or gray, there's really no reason to "need" the OB experience.

Regarding a hesalite 3861, no way would I want to buy one through an OB, but that's a watch I'd very happily purchase lightly used.

Like 3
I purchased 2 watches at the Houston OB; the Seamaster 2220.80 years ago and my Snoopy 50. In the time between, I've purchased a bunch of straps, bracelets, and clasps. IMO, the boutique experience isn't really worth the premium unless you want to get on a list of hard to get pieces. You'll have a much better chance of getting something if you're a repeat customer vs a walk-in.

Main reason why I was able to get my Snoopy within a year was because I was a returning customer. Apparently the Houston OB doesn't have a lot of those.

Like 2
It’s never worth it. I’d never want to contribute to the lavish decor of those places. A thoroughly-vetted, secondhand transaction saves a ton of money.

Like 1
If you would prefer new to good secondhand, try an Omega Authorised Dealer and ask for their best price. I bought two new Omegas at one in Sydney (several months apart) and on each occasion was offered a very respectable discount - 15-20%. It won't work every time of course. Depends on the dealer and on how their sales for the month are tracking.

Like 1
I'd buy a white dial from a Boutique a the moment.

Right now there are a ton of like new 3861 black dials available for thousands off retail from very trusted sellers. I was actually bummed when my AD became a boutique not too long ago. 15% off was the norm on all but the hottest LE's.

Like 2