Is the boutique experience worth the premium sale price?

They do offer a bottle of water while you wait for service though :whistling:

I’d consider it if they offered me a bottle of single malt……..but water? Filthy stuff…..fish shit in it!

That sip of "Omega water" is probably more expensive than any single malt. :)

How much do you have to pay to be treated like a rich twat for 15 minutes, compared to a grey marked dealer? Warranty is a nice insurance, get that.

I find OB staff aloof, they act like they are shareholders rather than commissioned employees.

I bought a Speedy 57 for me and an AT for the wife last year from the OB in Luxembourg City. I didn't even get an invite for the white dial reveal.

My AD in the city had his Omega stock pulled last summer yet still called me in December with a Snoopy Moonwatch. AD mom and pops for me every day all day.

I would say it depends. If you celebrate an event with a new Omega watch, then the process from walking into the boutique, spending time there, trying on several watches while sipping coffee or champagne and being treated nicely before deciding to purchase a fine watch can certainly be a pleasant experience to remember and mark that event. Regarding the grey market discount, you may end up with a free full service voucher and a free strap from the boutique which can be worth 10% or more of the purchase price.

Like 9
If your wife is paying, then sure ... why not.

Like 2
I have been lurking around our new boutique in Tampa since it opened and have purchased small items including a few straps so far.

I can't speak for the one in Tampa, but I buy my spendy watches in the EU as it's a great experience and packs a bunch of memories into the watch and adds to the trip experience.

So, if a trip's an option, I can highly recommend Soban at the OB in Zurich.
Get a picture with the Gold spaceman and the other Speedy memorabilia!

Like 1
I can't speak for the one in Tampa, but I buy my spendy watches in the EU as it's a great experience and packs a bunch of memories into the watch and adds to the trip experience.

So, if a trip's an option, I can highly recommend Soban at the OB in Zurich.
Get a picture with the Gold spaceman and the other Speedy memorabilia!
Switzerland is in the EU? ::confused2::

For someone in the US, unless there is a big savings buying abroad, it seems like there could be extra complications dealing with VAT refunds and/or import duties.

Like 1
… Regarding the grey market discount, you may end up with a free full service voucher and a free strap from the boutique which can be worth 10% or more of the purchase price.

That would be appealing! I haven’t heard of these vouchers being available (I’ve never bought at a AD or boutique)

Switzerland is in the EU? ::confused2::

For someone in the US, unless there is a big savings buying abroad, it seems like there could be extra complications dealing with VAT refunds and/or import duties.
The Swiss VAT is 8.1% and there is a very well developed mechanism for refunding it when goods are exported, super easy. There isn't too much of an advantage in buying in Switzerland these days because of exchange rates, net prices are similar, at least for US folks. Now, back in the 80's when I was through Switzerland at least 18 times selection was superior to the US and prices were absolute bargains. The exchange rate peaked at CHF 1 = US $0.40, prices were about 50% of US prices in that era. Today the rate is CHF 1 = $US 1.10, no more bargains and you'll find the same selection in the US as in Switzerland. There can be an emotional angle to buying Switzerland as a nice memory of a holiday, just no financial reason.
Edited:

Like 2
The Swiss VAT is 8.1% and there is a very well developed mechanism for refunding it when goods are exported, super easy. There isn't too much of an advantage in buying in Switzerland these days because of exchange rates, net prices are similar, at least for US folks. Now, back in the 80's when I was through Switzerland at least 18 times selection was superior to the US and prices were absolute bargains. The exchange rate peaked at CHF 1 = US $0.40, prices were about 50% of US prices in that era. Today the rate is CHF 1 = $US 1.10, no more bargains and you'll find the same selection in the US as in Switzerland. There can be an emotional angle to buying Switzerland as a nice memory of a holiday, just no financial reason.
And you'd either need to pay US customs duty, or lie at re-entry.

And you'd either need to pay US customs duty, or lie at re-entry.
True.

I would say it depends. If you celebrate an event with a new Omega watch, then the process from walking into the boutique, spending time there, trying on several watches while sipping coffee or champagne and being treated nicely before deciding to purchase a fine watch can certainly be a pleasant experience to remember and mark that event. Regarding the grey market discount, you may end up with a free full service voucher and a free strap from the boutique which can be worth 10% or more of the purchase price.

For a special event it is worth the bells and whistles of a boutique for you and the Mrs. A day out and a lot better than a box rocking up with the watch in it via the post.
I think it has to be done once…but only once ;)

Like 4
I always feel as though I have more in common with the armed security at the entrance than the sales associate but I thought that was a ME problem. My wife works with wealthy people and says it’s an experience thing that’s worth doing at least once in a lifetime.

Edit -I own 9 Omega watches all of which are pre owned and this will be my first new watch purchase

See to her it’s a yes, and for you it’s an experience she probably wants to share with you. Also she’s paying so go with it. Your chance to sort the Me problem out also…:thumbsup:

Like 1
I always feel as though I have more in common with the armed security at the entrance than the sales associate but I thought that was a ME problem. My wife works with wealthy people and says it’s an experience thing that’s worth doing at least once in a lifetime.

Edit -I own 9 Omega watches all of which are pre owned and this will be my first new watch purchase

Well I do work Private security, Not armed though. Access control. On occasion in the Napa Vally I have had people notice my Omega watch. Too bad Covid put a stop to that.

I like to go into botiques and such. Not the private booth area. When I first sold apple computer that way in the 1980s prior to 1984. I was pretty much on the other side of the table. "You want a Visicalc? Sure we have that, You want the computer to go with it?" They pretty much sold themself first. Wells fargo would just talk on an extra apple to the three martini lunch budget.

I also sold Lisa computers. Sold some to BART the rapid transit tube subway. Heard they were fired for wasting taxpayer money. That is who really pays for those curtianed rooms, single malts and caviar. And the staff is probably microwaving gummi bears in the breakroom for entertainement. An the vagarities ot youth...

It is also fun to look at the coffee table books and say "I have that one, and that one etc."

It is when they point the M16s at you when you enter the diamond room at Basil World, that your really feel the rarefied air.

Like 1
The experience? No, not worth it at all. Even if they sat me down and gave me champagne and chocolates I wouldn't consider the experience "worth it." I've purchased watches new at the AD (or boutique if that's what you have) and I've had brand new watches shipped to my door. I actually prefer having them shipped to my door since I don't have to go anywhere and I resize bracelets myself anyway.

But buying a watch that doesn't have a scratch on it, where you are the one and only owner? Where you are the one to peel off all the stickers? Where you can look down it and know that no other filthy animal has worn the watch day after day. ;) That's worth something to me. Not thousands of dollars but it's worth hundreds of dollars to me.

Like 2
Depends. If you can afford it, yes it’s worth it. The service is top notch and aftercare is much better than AD. OB let me swap out a watch 5 months after sale for a minor warranty issue.

That said, I still think AD is the best option for the more budget-minded consumer.

Like 2
In my opinion, Trusted Sellers are the best option for the budget-minded consumer. Many can get you BNIB with full Omega warranty.

IMHO a watch purchased to cherish forever and celebrate a wedding anniversary should be purchased at the OB. It's not all about the money but the memory you and your wife will share.

Like 3