Introducing A New Arrival: Speedmaster 105.003-63 Ed White "Asymmetrical T"

Fair warning: This will be rather lengthy and picture-heavy. If you need a TL;DR: I bought an Ed White and I like it. :D Pictures/text will probably be split over two posts, as the forum software doesn't seem to be too happy with the volume of data.

As I'm writing this, it’s raining cats and dogs outside, but the most famous virus of our time confines me to my apartment anyway. I guess the timing to drop a few lines on a recent arrival couldn’t be much better. So here goes, the reason for some recent sales of mine, a Speedmaster 105.003-63 “Asymmetrical T”, also known as an “Ed White”.
IMG_0064.JPG

Why this model?

Well. The way Speedmasters cast a spell over me is twofold – design and heritage.

I’ve always liked straight lug Speedies visually. The symmetry of the case, the lack of PROFESSIONAL that made for a cleaner, less busy appearance of the dial, and also the size. Ca. 39mm seems to hit the sweet spot for me.

In terms of design, an example featuring a lollipop chrono hand would be the pinnacle to me.

When it comes to the history, though, the coolest story of them all is the one of the first Omega in space, of Edward Higgins “Ed” White II. I’d say the Moonwatch-legacy is well-recognized, even among many people outside of our small bubble. But the fact that there was an Omega in space a few years prior to the moon landing is significantly less known, which I find intriguing. It’s been established that the exact reference he was wearing (two of them, actually) is the 105.003-63. Here’s an article by Fratello on the matter: https://www.fratellowatches.com/why-ed-white-wore-two-speedmaster-105-003-watches/

So this EW combines the two major attributes I’m looking for: It has 99% of the design (only lacking the inexplicably elegant lollipop chrono hand), and, being the correct sub-reference, 100% of the heritage.

IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0086.JPEG IMG_0089.JPEG

Finding it – the right place, the right time

There’s a domestic “fleemarket” platform here that I’ve been scrolling through regularly for a few years. Or rather “had been scrolling through”, as I hadn’t been online for a few months until that one day a couple of weeks ago. I was waiting somewhere and had a handful of minutes to kill. My usual, broad search was merely for “Omega”, and sure enough, there it was. The pictures weren’t plentiful, but they were sufficient to give me that tingle in the stomach, the feeling that this might actually be rather special. A message was sent to the seller, and to the much more knowledgeable @Aludic , kindly asking for his opinion. He’s not exactly a loud person and I haven’t known him to use caps lock, but it didn’t take too long for the following messages to pop up on my phone screen:

sander.jpg

Shortly after, the seller called. A few minutes in, I knew I’d take it.

We ended up speaking for 15 minutes and again for a good hour the following day – and he couldn’t have been more pleasant. Not only did he happily take all further pictures I was asking for, but he turned out to be a like-minded collector, trying to gather some funds for a grail purchase of his own. And boy, did he have something to offer, as it wasn’t simply the Ed White. He had bought it only a few years ago from the original owner, and it came with the box, the 7912/6 flat link bracelet, and quite some paperwork. The latter included the extract of the archives, original papers and some later service papers of the watch, all bearing the same name. It was returned from the service with most of the exchanged parts, among which are an original plexi and (weirdly) three pushers. The only missing part that I was hoping for was the 24-tooth, original B1 crown.

IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0100.JPG

This wasn’t a dealbreaker, of course, and agreeing on a price merely took us a couple of seconds.

What followed was a little more complicated though: The transaction. We both had busy schedules and quickly realized that, with 600km between us, it’d be over a week until we could actually meet. He promised to reserve the watch for me, didn’t want a deposit and kindly offered to meet me half-way, but I must admit: the suspense was killing me.

When the day of days finally arrived, despite a 2:45am alarm, I was very much awake, energized, excited. The journey seemed to take ages, and as I approached our meeting point I felt an unusual tension grow in me. After all, I had never made a watch purchase in that ballpark before and still couldn’t believe I was about to become the proud owner of such a spectacular Ed White. But I needn’t have worried. We sat down in a McDonald’s at the highway – classy, I know – and it was all smooth sailing. A very enthusiastic and friendly watch-nerd, we could’ve chatted watches for much longer than our schedules allowed us to and we’ll definitely stay in touch. With what felt like a heavy backpack and a huge smile on my face, I started my way home, and even the hour and a half I was stationary in a traffic jam wasn’t bothering me. After all, I had something rather lovely to play with.

IMG_0007.JPG
Edited:

The Condition / Discussion

I’m certainly not the most qualified to provide a detailed account of this 105.003’s condition, but I consider it a useful addition to this post and if it helps only one other user it’s already worth it. Happy to stand corrected, though, if there’s disagreement with any of my assessments. You can probably already guess that I’m quite happy with it and a piece I consider “average” wouldn’t have prompted me to go from “I might treat myself to an ice cream today” to “I think I’ve just bought an Ed White” in a few hours.

The Dial

Correct and all original “Asymmetrical T” dial with subsequently added Ts on either side of SWISS MADE. It’s a rather uncommon dial variant, which is a welcome bonus – check p294 in the MWO for comparison:
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG

Interestingly, among the asymmetrical T-dials, this seems to be one of the more subtle ones. Regarding condtion, dare I say it might even fall into the “excellent” category? I’ve noticed some dust here and there in the pictures but having scrutinized it with the loupe for a significant time, I can find zero damage on it. It’s got an even, deep black body, all the text is fully present and in a stark white. The tritium has aged beautifully and evenly, just a bit darker than what I’d call vanilla. The “biggest issue” I can find is a tiny brown spot on the outer end of the 8 o clock index, maybe 0.2-0.5mm in size. So, shall we say “excellent minus”?
IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0140.JPG

The hands are a different story, of course, and to me they do indeed represent the biggest flaw in the watch. While they are correct – including the beautiful drop counter-weight chrono hand – the minute and the hour have lost big chunks of their lume. Which brings me to the major question before I hand it in for a service – do I get the hands relumed to match the dial? It’s the only real cosmetic thing I’d consider to have done, but the rest of the watch is in such a good shape that I tend to have it redone. Your opinions are much appreciated!

IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0133.JPEG

The Case

Original HF-case, correct A1 symmetrical / straight lugs. It still shows well-defined lugs, even the brushing on the sides is intact and contrasts the polished top nicely. I doubt it’s been worn on the bracelet for a long time, as there are hardly any traces of endlinks working against the lugs. The double bevel case back is even more spectacular, showing a super crisp seahorse and the original brushing. There are a few superficial scratches everywhere, though, so I’d say good – very good?

IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0086.JPEG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0155.JPG

The Bezel

Correct and original B1 DON bezel. It’s also deep black, like the dial, but shows a couple of small dings and scratches, with a larger one between 120 and 140 on the tachymetre scale. I’d say it still qualifies as good – good minus.
IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0212.JPG

Crown & Pushers

The crown is a service replacement, of course, and will be replaced with the correct 24-tooth, flat feet logo example. Pushers are the correct 4.5mm and in good shape.

The Movement

The famous cal 321 (2nd generation). The last service was done in 1977, so it’s overdue, but would you look at the condition of it. I have absolutely no doubt this watch was lovingly looked after during all its life.

IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0099.JPG

The Extras

I guess the most noticeable is the full-length 7912 on #6 end links. It still shows the brushing on its center links, the stretch links work great. The clasp is stamped 3/64, which is exactly the quarter the watch itself was delivered.

IMG_0142.JPG

The Extract of the Archives, showing delivery to Germany in September ’64, matching with the papers.

Original papers of the sale and of later services, all in the same name.

The red box, which is correct for the period and given the story behind the watch, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t the original one. I’m not one to go crazy for box and papers, but I must say, it completes the package nicely.

IMG_0092.JPG

So, here I am. While I longed for one for a long time, I hadn’t been on the hunt actively. EWs aren’t exactly rare, but add the limitation of the -63 reference, a minimum of good to very good condition and, last but not least, a reasonable price, and all of a sudden it becomes much, much more difficult. It didn’t come up at the best of times for me, but I might wait for years and years to find one like it. I doubt I’ll ever regret buying it.

Fabulous watch, fabulous post and pics, congratulations and may your pleasure of ownership be long lasting.

What a great read. I'm so happy that this beauty went to such a good guy..
Congrats Matt!

Beautiful watch and a great write up. Congrats on an awesome find

Matt, well done!! ::love::::love::::love:: Thank you so much for taking the time to create this write up taking us through the entire journey. That was a fun read! Congratulations on this beautiful pick up and have fun wearing it :)

Thank you, everybody. :) Looking forward to hearing some more opinions regarding the hands / a possible relume!

Congrats on a great find. TBH, I would probably have the hands re-lumed by someone who could do an excellent job.

Beautiful watch and text with it, thank you for sharing!

I was also lurking this one.
Glad it came to a OF member !

Very nice one indeed.

Such an amazing piece and a great write up to share with all of us. Thank you.

Very nice thread, pictures and presentation. I liked it vey much. Enjoy it..