Introducing A New Arrival: Speedmaster 105.003-63 Ed White "Asymmetrical T"

I love the ‘Ed White’ for all of the same reasons. Congrats on a fantastic purchase.

d i b s

I write it in small font because I know in advance that it will never happen ;)
Its more like a compliment on a stunning piece - I would also have bought it in a whim although I am not a hard core Speedy collector.
Well done Matt - I wish you many years of delight when wearing this beauty! You will wear it, won´t you? I hope it will not suffer in a dark vault as a safe queen.

If I were you I would relume the hands
Edited:

Nice.

Beautiful “kid in a candy store” post ;)

Thank you, everybody. :) Looking forward to hearing some more opinions regarding the hands / a possible relume!

I'd definitely get the hands done. So what about originality, like this they'll likely crumble more whilst wearing and when done will look way better than now.

That is a beauty! I’d just get the hour and minute hands relumed, otherwise the rest will fall out bit by bit.

Finding it – the right place, the right time

You're the absolute master when it comes to that. Congrats, I'm really happy for you. I'm also in the relume camp. And enjoy the hell out of it.

Amazing watch Matt! I always love hearing the full story :-)
Would also go for a relume. It feels a bit like someone missing one of his teeth at the front ;-)

d i b s

Too late for that, mate. ;) I am sure we both shouldn’t get our hopes up, this is surely a keeper…

Congratulations! Very nice watch and package. Time to enjoy it now ;)

You will wear it, won´t you? I hope it will not suffer in a dark vault as a safe queen.

Oh, there’s zero chance this’ll be a safe queen. Matter in fact it’s been on my wrist almost every day since I got it and will be until I hand it over to my watchmaker at the end of the month. The last service was in ‘77, I guess it’s about time.

What a great story and a wonderful, wonderful pick-up. As a fairly recent owner of an EW (65), I can certainly relate to the appeal of these over the classic moonwatch, especially in terms of size.

I can't offer expert advice but would echo that reluming the hands is the best way to go (that way you keep the original hands and make cosmetic, stabilisation changes to it).

Thanks for sharing your watch and story. There's a lot of great things about this forum. But the number one best thing is to find other like-minded people who can't help loving a beautiful old watch. Great find and great new home.

That's a banger !! Congratulations. Finding a crown should not be too bad, I found one for my '68 a few weeks after I started looking about a year or two ago. Best of luck on that.