Forums Latest Members
  1. kais1121 May 17, 2020

Hi all - My partner is very into the vintage Constellations with a black dial and gold or two-tone case. I have been looking for one for weeks and can't seem to find the right thing in my price range. I came across this Seamaster which seems great:
    https://www.chrono24.com/omega/1975...atch-automatic-date---18k-gol--id12620171.htm. It is about $500 cheaper than any of the comparable Constellations. This would be his first vintage watch, so I don't think he is all that stuck on the Constellation but I'm wondering what you all think of this particular option. Thanks!

downtownbobbyb likes this.
  2. Vanallard May 17, 2020

Very few collectors would have any interest in a watch like this due to the refinished dial and polished case, which have an adverse impact on the value of the watch. There are people who want a vintage watch that is shiny and looks new and tend to overpay for a watch like the one you found on C24.

I’d recommend taking a look at some of the watches listed for sale on OF - there are some very nice vintage Omegas in your price range.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 17, 2020

This and post photos, not just links.

wagudc, DaveK and timecube like this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 17, 2020

$1400 for a gold plated case and a refinished dial, what a joke!

wagudc and Walrus like this.
  5. Walrus May 17, 2020

Chrono24 is crazy. Not to say there aren’t good deals but so many are ridiculously priced

6. timecube May 17, 2020

It's also deceptive.

Ignorant or deliberate falsehood, I could not say.
    There is no such thing as "18k gold plate". Electroplating is 24k.
    18k usually implies cap or fill or solid gold.

As David Byrne says, "run, run, run, run, run, run, run away!"

7. TexOmega May 17, 2020

Don't be so subtle with our newbie wanting some guidance (and appearing to have a heart of gold), tell what you really mean.:)

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 17, 2020

He means $120

DaveK and TexOmega like this.
  9. Dan S May 17, 2020

The black dial is going to be the problem. They were much less common in the era you are looking at, and many watches that you will find with black dials have been repainted. I think you may need to decide how important the dial color is, because the restriction to black is going to make things much more difficult.

JwRosenthal and DaveK like this.
  10. timecube May 17, 2020

Okay, re-try.
    Let's see if we can address their actual question.

There are a few ways you could go.
    - an actual Connie, which carries a bit of a premium.
    - a decent Seamaster, which should be cheaper than a Connie (need to find a "decent" one— this ain't it)
    - solid 14k or 18k gold, which could be out of your budget
    - gold cap or gold fill, which have a heavy layer of gold sandwiched on top of stainless steel
    - gold electroplate (worst option, as it tends to wear off easily). If your partner will only wear it on "date night" and dressing up, could be okay

If you want to see a range of "decent watches" for sale, check out the "for sale" section of Omega Forums.

11. Dan S May 17, 2020

A black dial Constellation? Yeah, a bit of a premium.

JwRosenthal, TexOmega and timecube like this.
  12. timecube May 17, 2020

I missed that part, due to the lack of images posted.

B05D793A-483A-4F58-A4F7-926A7FC845AA.jpeg
    Dan S likes this.
  13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 17, 2020

The OP doesn't learn if you do the work for him.

Edited May 17, 2020
    timecube likes this.
  14. TexOmega May 17, 2020

“Looking for weeks” for a black dial Constellation in giftable condition in a reasonable price range is a short timeframe, you and 10,000 others are doing the same but most are hunting 24/7/365 for that Unicorn.

Better to pay for someone else’s legwork and let the enjoyment begin for both of you.

post pictures here first for advice

good luck

15. cristos71 May 18, 2020

And just to warn the OP, most of the black dialed Constellations found on CH24 have redials too, so if you do manage to find something there you think worth considering a good idea would be to run it by OF first. A lot of sellers will insist the dial to be original when it isn't and the dial holds around half the value of the watch so you want to really make sure that is correct.

DaveK, TexOmega and Mark020 like this.
  16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 18, 2020

hi @kais1121
    Any vintage Omega would be a great gift but be careful, if your partner really is into Constellations they may appreciate a Seamaster but always be secretly thinking “I wish this was a Constellation”.

As others have said, genuine black dial Omegas are scarce and run at a premium.
    However, if the style of Seamaster you posted resembles the Connies your partner has been looking at, (Short, straight lugs and dome dial) with some patience you should easily be able to find one within you budget.

As there are several different styles of Constellation, which are quite different to one another, it would be worthwhile trying to find out which style floats your partner’s boat.

TexOmega likes this.
  17. kais1121 May 19, 2020

18. TexOmega May 19, 2020

When the seller writes "Moby Dick" as a description, I am always very cautious.

And the price is $3-400 USD too much "if" all correct. It appears so with the pix shown.

And the plate is worn to base metal in many places.

Plus, then, you gotta hope that it ever comes to you for that $50 shipping cost.

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 19, 2020

This is partly what I had in mind.
    You could also search for the reference 168.010 - this watch’s earlier cousin

I think the watch you posted is okay.
    (I think the ‘wear’ Is badly reflected lighting - it even looks pink in some shots)
    It’s slightly polished, although gold cap is never as sharp as SS.
    There’s quite a ding and scratch on the upper right lug.
    I think the ‘dial marks‘ showing up in the pic are on the crystal but there is some degradation to the paint on the 6&8 indices.
    The crown is an incorrect replacement - it should stick out prominently on this reference.
    it would need a service but you should allow for that on any vintage watch you buy.
    It is overpriced but it was only a matter of time until these references began to find their feet price-wise.
    Probably a couple of hundred over if all spot on rather than 3-400, but probably 3-400 over in this condition.

hope that helps.

UncleBuck and Dan S like this.
  20. kais1121 May 20, 2020

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm narrowing it down to these two, depending on getting prices down:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193462132446Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283753937413Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

The Seamaster appears to be in better shape but I do like the Constellation a lot...