Forums Latest Members

Information on vintage Omega 2384-6 (several photos) (Now updated with a Plot Twist!)

1. Flygaren Apr 11, 2020

Hi,

I was hoping you guys could provide some information on one of my watches. It is a vintage Omega, no "name" on the dial. Unable to wind, but when I pull the crown, hands can easily be adjusted.

Movement serial: 1059xxxx (so 1944 / 1945 ? )
    Engaraved: 2384-6

- Is it rare / valuable?
    - How much will it cost to fix the movement and replace the glass?
    - Does the hands look original, or are they replaced?
    - Can you say anything else about this watch?

I appreciate all help I can get! Let me know if you need some more pictures or information. Thank you so much!

Best regards,

Kristian, Norway :)
    Omega 1.jpg

Omega 3.jpg Omega 2.jpg 2020-04-11 12.55.54.jpg

Edited Apr 12, 2020
    janice&fred, Seaborg and Biezmez like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 11, 2020

Certainly an uncommon dial variation. The condition will restrict its value somewhat, and without seeing the dial clearly (the crystal is badly obscuring it), it is not possible to refine a confident value.

Impossible to say with any accuracy. It would depend on the watchmaker chosen and location (cheaper in some countries than others), and the work required. A "simple" service would likely cost between 100-200€, but given the condition of your watch, there may be special needs. The crystal replacement alone will not be very expensive.

If the 3, 6, 9 and 12 were originally luminous, then the hands are incorrect replacements. If they are non-luminous, then the hands may be original.

Could be nice when cleaned up and serviced!

DaveK and Radiumpassion like this.
  3. Radiumpassion Apr 11, 2020

Cool watch! Does the balance wheel swing? I know some of
    theese non incabloc movements that the balance break quite
    easy.

4. Flygaren Apr 11, 2020

The balance wheel is "free" to swing when I give it a light touch, but it won't move by itself - I'm not able to wind it, and light shaking won't get it to tick either.

I tried to find pictures of the same dial on internet, but no luck... Thats why I might think it has some value to it... But maybe I'm wrong?

In a good (ovehauled) condition, what do you guess I could sell it for?

5. Radiumpassion Apr 11, 2020

Sounds like the movement needs a good clean and oil. I won`t try
    to figure out a price. And the Norwegian market is driven by condition
    and watch size. Maybe you can put it on finn or have an auction on
    klokkeriet or tidssonen.no?

Lykke til:)

6. mac_omega Apr 11, 2020

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Secondly this forum is not meant as an appraisal institution - browse ebay sold listings and you will get an idea what the market is willing to pay.
    Too many "new" members come here just to find out the value of their watches, then sell them on the internet and are never seen on OF again.
    Stay here to learn, there is a lot of educational posts if you are interested to learn.
    If you only want to sell you are in the wrong place.
    cheers

7. Flygaren Apr 11, 2020

Hi! I have been collecting watches for some time, and have several different brands in my collection. Until now, I have only sold one of my watches, as I hate letting them go.... So normally I only buy to keep them for my self. Having that said, buying and selling is a part of this hobby, and thats why I posted this one. First of all to find more information about it, to know what I am dealing with. This watch is a gift, so I have noet bought it in the first place. I have tried finding a watch like this, but was not able to... When it comes to my questions about price, I consider using 100-200 $ to fix it OK, if it is a rare watch. Otherwise I might just leave it as it is for now, and re-consider later.

I am here to learn, and will be around anyway, belive me :) Omega is one of the next on my list to buy, but not a vintage. Maybe a Speedmaster of some kind, there are so many nice models!

Sidnos likes this.
  8. Flygaren Apr 11, 2020

I am considering all of the mentioned places, thank you :)

9. Biezmez Apr 11, 2020

Hi Kristian
    Always nice to meet Norwegians in the forum. The watch certainly looks nice and original to me.
    My experience in Norway is that you’re probably looking at a minimum of 2500kr for a basic service and then add on top of that parts. In the condition it’s in, new glass etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re quickly heading towards spending 3500-4000kr to get it into decent shape.

These 30 T2’s are great movements. Personally I’d get it serviced and wear the hell out of it, but it depends on your preferences. It seems you would prefer a more modern Omega.
    Best of luck whatever you decide.
    Regards
    Chris.

10. OMEGuy Apr 11, 2020

I wouldn't say the dial is totally off-style, but it would be great to see some dial details. I'm not sure about the hands, because I believe they should be radium filled.

Here is a 2384-8:

[​IMG]

11. mac_omega Apr 11, 2020

Hi once more,

good to hear that you plan to stay on the OF some more time.

It is a nice watch and getting it to work will not cost you an arm and a leg... it is worth to invest as the basic value of your watch is exceeding the costs of a service. A replacement crystal is not expensive and easily swapped by a watchmaker. This will make wonders as you will see the dial in its full glory as I think it is in quite good shape (as far as I can see through the scratched-up crystal). IMO the dial is 100% original (=unrestored).
    The numerals do not seem to have ever been lumed, for me they look printed black, hence there is no need for radium lumed hands, the present hands are spot on for this dial and for the era. Also the second hand is of the correct length.
    And an extra bonus is the correct crown which is a nightmare to search for if you need one...
    Search for a reliable (and not too expensive) watchmaker and you will have not only a reliable daily beater but also a watch worth collecting.
    just my 2 cents

Edited Apr 11, 2020
    janice&fred and KingCrouchy like this.
  12. Flygaren Apr 11, 2020

Here are some more photos, but it is hard getting all details:

2020-04-11 17.54.05.jpg 2020-04-11 17.54.41.jpg 2020-04-11 17.54.59.jpg 2020-04-11 17.55.33.jpg 2020-04-11 17.57.57.jpg 2020-04-11 17.58.57.jpg 2020-04-11 17.59.19.jpg

Let me know if you need more spesific photos / angles / details :)

Seaborg likes this.
  13. OMEGuy Apr 11, 2020

14. Radiumpassion Apr 11, 2020

If those hands are replacements the watchmaker did a hell of a job. I don't
    see any reason to why they aren't original to the watch.

janice&fred, Sidnos and Flygaren like this.
  15. OMEGuy Apr 11, 2020

Then post a picture of a different watch with the same dial and hands.

16. Radiumpassion Apr 11, 2020

And here we go again....

17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 11, 2020

That's not a serious response. If you believe that the hands are incorrect, then explain why. The fact that you may not have seen the combination previously is not even anecdotal evidence of a lack of originality.

janice&fred and Flygaren like this.
  18. omegastar Apr 11, 2020

Nice watch, you could end up with something as ugly as this one...

B3755C99-DD94-4D5A-9871-AFE5B2995487.jpeg

Thommas, janice&fred, Sidnos and 3 others like this.
  19. Flygaren Apr 11, 2020

That's one nice watch... You know it's production year / ref. ? Mine is 2384-6, and approx. 1945 model. Are the hands on your watch original? Definilely look like the ones on my!

20. omegastar Apr 11, 2020

Yes original, this hand thing is total BS. Those hands are typical Omega hands of the 40´s. The printed Omega logo or the absence of a raised Omega logo tells you it is theoretically before 1948, but they used the stock till they had no more. Then it has no incablock.
    Mine is a snap back model, so the crown is thiner.
    If I were in your shoes, I would have the watch serviced with a new ( non Omega glass ) and keep it for this watch has four great features :
    No incablock or shock protection device.
    A printed logo.
    A screw down back.
    Steel hands and markers.
    It may not be ultra expensive but it is getting difficult to find such watches in original condition.

janice&fred, ConElPueblo and Sidnos like this.