Forums Latest Members

Incoming "Watchco" Seamaster 300

1. Poday Nov 15, 2019

a watchco is hardly “thrown together from random spare or replacement parts”. Aside from the movement, everything else was brand new service parts. Nobody is arguing that they’re the same as an all original vintage, but to call them Frankens is absurd, and “replicas” even more so.

They serve a purpose. If that purpose is of no interest to you, there are other watches out there.

marco and Thrasher36 like this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 15, 2019

But the converted watch still wouldn’t get an extract so there is a major difference.

3. BlackTulip Nov 16, 2019

The difference is psychological. It's the same watch.

4. Edward53 Nov 16, 2019

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Who gives a ::censored::. They look great, they can take a lot of punishment, you don't have to worry about cosseting them, they cost less than their new equivalents and if they've been built and serviced properly they are within a few seconds daily when worn regularly. I wear mine for walking (sometimes scrambling) in the hills, days out at the beach and just about any other leisure activity where I don't want to risk a vintage watch. I reckon I've had half my money's worth already from the enjoyment of owning and wearing it.
    ::rimshot::

marco, Thrasher36 and BlackTulip like this.
  5. Davidt Nov 16, 2019

It might be a factory franken but if the movement came from anything other than a Seamaster 300, it's still a franken, regardless of who assembled the new parts around the old movement.

6. marco Nov 16, 2019

I think Adam Lewis at Lewiswatchco does the best replica SM300.Here's my all original vintage one from LewisWatchco.

20170126_151308_optimized.jpg
    Edited Jan 6, 2021
  7. gostang9 Nov 16, 2019

Forget Watchco’s, I’ll take one of these gorgeous Lewco’s anytime!

8. BlackTulip Nov 16, 2019

Oh ok. So Omega now makes factory Frankens. Got it.

9. BradleyJ. Nov 16, 2019

You either like "watchos" or "watchco builds" or you don't........... no need to argue it guys.

10. Davidt Nov 16, 2019

You understand what a 'franken' or 'Frankenstein' means? Who does it is irrelevant, as is the intent or perception of how good it is.

If a movement that spent 50 years in a basic Geneve ends up being used with modern, legit service parts, it doesn't suddenly switch to being a Seamaster 300 movement. For most of its history and most importantly in the Omega archives, that serial corresponds to a Geneve and not a SM300.

11. BlackTulip Nov 16, 2019

Omega will transform a Geneve to a SM300 for you - at least they did until recently, so according to you that would make it a factory Franken. The 552 movement isn't Seamaster specific. For it to be a Franken it needs to have incorrect parts. A watchco is a restored SM300 using factory service parts and is not a Franken.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  12. BlackTulip Nov 16, 2019

Especially on an “incoming” post. Very rude.

Thrasher36 and BradleyJ. like this.
  13. BradleyJ. Nov 16, 2019

Exactly. It's like if someone posted any other model and I thought it was completely disgusting......... I wouldn't reply with my thoughts.... I'd keep scrolling.

No of course not, it continues to be what it always has been since it left Omega..... an Omega 552 movement. Chevy puts a 6.2 liter V8 in the corvette and the Silverado so does the Corvette have a truck motor in it or does the Silverado have a car motor in it?

marco, Thrasher36 and Poday like this.
  14. Davidt Nov 16, 2019

Frankenstein's monster didn't have a giraffes neck, a monkeys arm and a dolphins cock. It was made up of human arms that were all 'correct' for a human. The fact is, they were used on other humans and he was made up of parts from various sources, that didn't start out together.

I'm not denying that Omega service centres have in the past transformed Geneves into Seamaster 300's. They're still frankens. Extremely nice frankens, but still.

15. BradleyJ. Nov 16, 2019

Well I'm done with this thread. Good luck in all your life's endeavors guys/gals.

xantiagib and larryganz like this.
  16. BlackTulip Nov 16, 2019

A "extremely nice franken" is a contradiction. I think you need to review the definition of franken. The Oxford dictionary defines it as :

"denoting a modified version of something that is seen as unnatural or grotesque."

Which a watcho is clearly not.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  17. Davidt Nov 16, 2019

I'm out too.

Call it whatever makes you happy.

18. guaranteed.rohu Nov 16, 2019

that's so nice! and have heard great things here in Aus about LWC

Thrasher36, LeonDeBayonne and marco like this.
  19. Poday Nov 16, 2019

sorry to point out the absurdity of this metaphor, but any watch with replaced parts would be a Franken based on this logic. So when one sends in a watch for service and the mainspring, pushers, and crown are replaced, that watch is now a “franken” because the parts didn’t all start out together? Get a grip.

20. guaranteed.rohu Nov 16, 2019

The idea of 'frankens' being undesirable is interesting - probably more relevant in the vintage rolex sports-watch world where prices have skyrocketed in the past 5 years. If you're paying $50k USD for a one-owner full-set vintage rolex GMT, you probably want to know it's original (particularly the bezel) or the risk of losing a lot of your money invested into it, so I think it's a fair question.

Personally however, I think as long as it's factory original, and it is a correct part meant for the watch, it is fine for me. If all the parts are original and you have box and papers too, it's probably fair that it commands a premium - but at what point does a watch become a 'franken'? If you replace the gaskets in a vintage diver because they get worn out, is that then a franken? or some screws in the movement, or some oil? the crown? the winding rotor? When omega or any other watch brand makes parts that are shared across multiple models and references (ie. movements in the 1970s), they do not 'designate' these to a particular reference from the point of fabrication.

--

Here's a thought experiment, say you have:

1. a NOS untouched SM300 from the 1970s, with a cal 565

2. a NOS untouched omega dress watch from the same year, with a cal 565 movement

A non-omega certified watchmaker, is cleaning the SM300 and accidentally drops the movement onto the ground, damaging it severely. They replace it with the entire 565 movement from the dress watch instead. Is this a franken? By some people's opinions here, it is, and therefore it should be worth less. What is the actual difference though?? Would it be impossible to tell that it is a 'franken'? yes. Would it be refused an extract from the archives? no.

Edited Nov 16, 2019