Images that lift your spirits

This pal of mine always lifts my spirits ::love::

IMG_2894.jpeg

The old abandoned USAAF communication centre near Martlesham, Suffolk. on a late spring morning...
IMG_2277.jpeg

The old abandoned USAAF communication centre near Martlesham, Suffolk. on a late spring morning...
IMG_2277.jpeg

Is it a lighthouse?

Clipboard01.jpg

Is it a lighthouse?

Clipboard01.jpg

Very observant! No, That is Pegasus tower of the Orion Building in the distance. The old Post Office/BT research labs.

Image.jpeg

Very observant! No, That is Pegasus tower of the Orion Building in the distance. The old Post Office/BT research labs.

Image.jpeg
Bit of a white elephant now... Still operational but since hive-off and privatisation it's not the bastion of Communications & Technology it once was. Used to employ thousands from the local area. In the 70's & 80's it would take over a hundred in apprentices from the local schools every year, most of my mates went there - now benefitting from generous voluntary redundancy packages (including my wife)

The National Nasal Radiation Museum is better.

:D

IMG_1594.jpeg

Yeah I know. That Stirling could certainly use a service … and the patina is OTT

The National Nasal Radiation Museum is better.

:D

IMG_1594.jpeg
Sorry, Ignorant Brit here... is that the Smithsonian?

Still got to go a long way to top the American Air Museum & Airspace at IWM Duxford. Particularly the American Air Museum in the Norman Foster Building. Even now you walk round there and forget what they have managed to squeeze in or hang from the roof.

Both a Sopwith Camel and a Sopwith Triplane

Sorry, Ignorant Brit here... is that the Smithsonian?

Still got to go a long way to top the American Air Museum & Airspace at IWM Duxford. Particularly the American Air Museum in the Norman Foster Building. Even now you walk round there and forget what they have managed to squeeze in or hang from the roof.
It’s not the Smithsonian, sir…it’s the National Naval Aviation Museum located at NAS Pensacola [the cradle of U.S. Naval Aviation] in Florida, USA. I was there last year for a military reunion…and that’s why I was wearing a bow tie standing next to my old bird [SH-60B Seahawk]…

IMG_5078.jpeg

It’s not the Smithsonian, sir…it’s the National Naval Aviation Museum located at NAS Pensacola [the cradle of U.S. Naval Aviation] in Florida, USA. I was there last year for a military reunion…and that’s why I was wearing a bow tie standing next to my old bird [SH-60B Seahawk]…

IMG_5078.jpeg

Just yesterday I had a memorable experience regarding the Seahawk. From time to time, Navy helicopters stop in at the Hollywood-Burbank airport. I'm not sure why, as KBUR is not particularly close to the ocean or to a military facility. Maybe they're carrying VIPs, or just need a fuel top-off? Anyway, yesterday I was in the KBUR pattern with my flight instructor seated next to me, when he spotted a Seahawk departing from one of the runways. I couldn't see it because we were headed in the opposite direction and needed to keep my focus forward. But my instructor kept turning his head as long as he could to keep the Seahawk in sight. Why was he so interested? Because he used to be a Crew Chief on a Navy Seahawk. He's about 26-27 years old now, and enlisted in the Navy right after High School. Then he became a helicopter Crew Chief, a job with tremendous responsibility and a big deal for enlisted sailors. He became so enamoured with the Seahawk that immediately after leaving the Navy, he enrolled in helicopter flight school at his own expense. Now he's working his way toward his goal of becoming an EMS or utility company pilot.

Just yesterday I had a memorable experience regarding the Seahawk. From time to time, Navy helicopters stop in at the Hollywood-Burbank airport. I'm not sure why, as KBUR is not particularly close to the ocean or to a military facility. Maybe they're carrying VIPs, or just need a fuel top-off? Anyway, yesterday I was in the KBUR pattern with my flight instructor seated next to me, when he spotted a Seahawk departing from one of the runways. I couldn't see it because we were headed in the opposite direction and needed to keep my focus forward. But my instructor kept turning his head as long as he could to keep the Seahawk in sight. Why was he so interested? Because he used to be a Crew Chief on a Navy Seahawk. He's about 26-27 years old now, and enlisted in the Navy right after High School. Then he became a helicopter Crew Chief, a job with tremendous responsibility and a big deal for enlisted sailors. He became so enamoured with the Seahawk that immediately after leaving the Navy, he enrolled in helicopter flight school at his own expense. Now he's working his way toward his goal of becoming an EMS or utility company pilot.
Very cool! :cool:

Do you know which Navy H-60 version he was on? Bravo, Foxtrot, Romeo, or Sierra? He may have been on multiple versions. When you say “Crew Chief” do you mean “Aircrewman (AW)”? I ask because back when I was flying the Bravo model in the 1980s/1990s, we had either one or two Aircrewmen (AWs) in the back.