Forums Latest Members
  1. Bo_Hansen Mar 10, 2016

Hello entusiast,

I have an Omega Trench watch I would like you to help me identify. Im quite an amatuer so doesn't know all that much. Here is a short discription:

Omega trench watch in silver casing, around 33mm, with black dial and luminescent cathedral hands. Inside the case there is a stamp which looks like a omega sign inside a key above a 'W'. There are also a stamp with the letters SA in a diamond square.

The movement number is 4.781.xxx and the case number is 5.488.xxx.

Hope you can help me find the production year, model and where it was sold - and if it's genuine :)

It seems very similar to this posting:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/black-dial-omega-trench-circa1916-17.22476/

Thanks alot for your help!

/Bo

IMG_11701.jpg IMG_11711.jpg IMG_11671_blurred.png IMG_11661_blurred.png
    Edited Mar 10, 2016
  2. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Mar 10, 2016

Bo_Hansen likes this.
  3. TexOmega Mar 10, 2016

Yours looks original and a little younger than mine, say circa 1915 from your serial number.

Great find, black dial Omega Trench watches are few.

Of course, my movement is finished to finer degree.:)

Omega Watch Co Swiss.JPG

GregH and Bo_Hansen like this.
  4. Bo_Hansen Mar 10, 2016

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 10, 2016

Congratulations on a very nice example and for doing some good detective work.
    All I can add is that the oval symbol Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 11.13.25 AM.png is the Import Mark for the London Assay Office and
    the letter "U" Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 11.14.58 AM.png is the date stamp for 1915, and of course the .925 mark for Sterling Silver.

So you have a very nice silver cased French Production Omega trench watch imported into London by Dimier Brothers in 1915.

I wonder if it ever went to war? If only these watches could tell their story.

OMTOM, watchyouwant and Bo_Hansen like this.
  6. Bo_Hansen Mar 12, 2016

Thank you Jimin, that is really brilliant information. Seems the watch has been in a lot of countries. Made in Switzerland, assembled in France, imported to London - I bought it in Spain, and now it's in Denmark. And that is only the information I know of. Still has a blind spot of a 101 years.
    I wouldn't know if it's been to war sadly. Is there any records from the Dimier Brothers of buyers? - I suppose if it had been an issued watch, there would be other stamps right? The back has some marks that indicate inscriptions, but they have mostly been polished away. There is still one stamp in the casing, we haven't figured out though. The stamp with the letters and numbers. looks like DENPNSE - AF9876. Any ideas? :)

7. jimdgreat1 Mar 12, 2016

I will not start collecting another watch type
    I will not start collecting another watch type.

:unsure:

David1954, MK1965 and Bo_Hansen like this.
  8. Bo_Hansen Mar 12, 2016

Do it Jim ;)

9. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Mar 12, 2016

The word is Déposé (registered, referring to a patent, the number is probably the patent number)

Bo_Hansen likes this.
  10. Bo_Hansen Mar 12, 2016

Thanks Tire! I just examined the stamp closer and it says. DEPOSE - No9846, which as you say is a number for a trademark or design pattern.

Check out this page, which explaines this particular pattern, and it's importance to wristswatches.
    http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/blog9846.php

The page suggests it is the design of the lugs on watch, and how the are made to hold a single piece strap. This obviously being in a time where wristwatch design was in it's craddle. I would say there is far more advanced features on the watch then the lugs though:)

It is coincedently also the Dimier Brothers that holds the patent, as well as being importers. Does anyone know if they have a record of buyers, or is that an impossibility to find out? I have really gotten into this amateur detective stuff :D

tdn-dk likes this.
  11. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Mar 13, 2016

Hi, thanks for the link, very interesting!

12. Bo_Hansen Mar 18, 2016

On a slightly different note. Do you guys have any recommendations on how often you should have the watch serviced, and how to keep it in the daily life, in order to protect it best?

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 18, 2016

It depends on how much you wear it, your climate and your lifestyle.
    I would get it serviced every four or five years, don't get it wet and don't subject it to shocks (like dropping it). Keep it in a benign environment (not too hot, not too cold, not too humid, but just right).
    Treat it the way you would treat your grandmother.

Tire-comedon likes this.