Forums Latest Members
  1. MarkS Jun 4, 2012

Good evening, have just removed the back to a gold cased watch, however there is no hallmark, the following is stamped on the inside, at the top is a logo with BGF inside a diamond shape, the centre has omega written along the top of omega symbol contained in circle with three small circles at the bottom of the circle. Below is then stamped BB and below that 1613009. The movement serial No dates to 1962 and Cal is 552. Could anyone help with the stamps meanings on the back.

Many thanks this is my first post

2. Steve Jun 4, 2012

I'm sure our vintage members will help, but they will ask for photo's.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2012

Yeap photos make a world of difference, inside the caseback, movement, and dial would be a good start

4. MarkS Jun 4, 2012

Will have a go at posting some!

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jun 4, 2012

Sounds to me like a French national production case. If the case is gold, you need to be careful as these cases were faked.

If your case is like this first example then it is a genuine French national production, where Omega sent raw movements to the French agent and they were cased and dialled in France. BGF is the case maker. I once tried to find out who was the maker and where these cases were made but came up blank. Clearly the case maker is no longer around.

[​IMG]

If your case looks like the closeup up of the French Omega stamp shown below (which is a replica of an earlier and generally pre-war Omega case back stamp) then it may be a fake. I'm betting that the case is genuine.

[​IMG]

The Omega database does not have records of French cased watches, however the designs were usually identical to their international collection cases and so it isnt much of a biggie to determine which model it is.

If you can post a pic of the watch, we'll have a crack at identifying it for you.

Cheers

Desmond

6. MarkS Jun 5, 2012

2012_06060002.JPG 2012_06060003.JPG 2012_06060001.JPG

7. MarkS Jun 5, 2012

Added pictures but unable to add text!

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jun 5, 2012

Looks to me to be the French version of model 14786. Slimline dress style, which had many Seamaster contemporaries. The lozenge with PGF is there as described but I can't find the 18k Eagles head mark (as shown in the pic below) on your case back. It may be there, but I cant see it. Perhaps the case is not 18k?

[​IMG]
    The 24 jewel caliber 552 was no slouch and was the non-chronometer 'quality' movement in this series; it's bretheren being the 551 chronometer and the lower grade 17 jewel cal 550. So, not a cheap watch for a 'generically' branded Omega .

May have been a bit of rotor scuff at some stage, but other than the rotor the movement looks pretty clean. Re the markings, I would see if the Eagle head is stamped anywhere on the case

Cheers

Desmond

9. MarkS Jun 6, 2012

Thanks for all the help, there is a eagle stamp on the casing beside the winding crown you can just see it in the picture of the movement, mondodec have learnt alot today many thanks again regards Mark