Forums Latest Members

I was just talked out of getting a service---by Omega

1. Annapolis May 19, 2020

So I found this... surprising.

I reached out to Omega Customer Service via their online live-agent chat and got someone who seemed very nice and well informed. I wanted to know how to go about initiating a routine maintenance service for my new-to-me 2006 AT. In particular, I wanted to find out if there was any advantage to going through my local Boutique vs. contacting the Swatch Service Centre in New Jersey directly.

The agent asked if the watch was running well; I answered yes. (It loses about 4 seconds a day, I'd say, which isn't what I'd call problematic, though I'm happy to be corrected.)

Then he said I'd be better off not sending it in for service. Paraphrasing but as exact as I can recall: "In my experience most Omega watches can go far longer between services than the recommended interval."

I'm not surprised to hear that---it's been mentioned here on OF plenty of times---that these watches, especially the modern Co-Axials are built to endure. But I was surprised to hear it from Omega, when they stand to take $550 of my money. Plus you'd think they'd encourage us to floss daily instead of waiting for a root canal, no?

He then asked me if I had concerns about whether the watch was genuine, and I said no, not really, but followed up with why? He told me that while he couldn't authenticate the watch over chat (obviously) he could check the serial number just to confirm that it's a genuine # that matches up with the correct reference (a 2504.30). So I grabbed my magnifier, typed in the number, and he was able to confirm it for me. (I hadn't told him the reference, only the serial, so seeing the 2504.30 pop up was comforting, even though it's no real guarantee; would have been a very bad sign if it hadn't.)

Anyway, not sure what I'll do, but thought I'd share. I've never been talked out of any kind of service before. Oil change? Pull right up. New bike tires? Show me the money. Eye exam? Just read the bottom line. This was a first.

apsm100 and Tony like this.
  2. vbrad26 May 19, 2020

If it ain't broke don't fix it?
    I'm sure they'd take your money if you really wanted them to. But I also don't think they will miss $550.

Annapolis likes this.
  3. Annapolis May 19, 2020

Well that’s true. And I suppose a cynic would point out that they’ll make even more money off a root canal when it’s needed...

4. vbrad26 May 19, 2020

Hah perhaps.

5. larryganz The cable guy May 19, 2020

It's interesting that with a car, if you don't follow the service intervals they will void your warranty when it becomes damaged. But with a watch manufacturer they often charge a higher flat rate (1.5-2x that of some independents) to cover everything, while a large number of services don't require more than replacing crowns and seals - and they make bank on those.

But that acts as a subsidy to those few with a lot of worn parts who would not be willing to pay over $1000 for the extra parts instead of the $550 flat rate. The many more people who would grudgingly pay $550 instead of $300-450 just to get it done at the manufacture help to pay the higher costs of those who need more parts.

In my case, I pay my watchmaker a fraction of the cost vs Omega to clean, oil, and adjust a Moonwatch or 5-digit Rolex, which wont need parts every time; but when he sees that it needs parts under the microscope, then he's willing to put it back together and send it to the manufacturer and only charge their fee without any additional up-charge. I've had him do one Planet Ocean with a 2500C, but otherwise he wont do a co-axial movement. Omega knew what they were doing when they put out movements that many independent watchmakers wont touch (Archer not included, as well as other certified Omega service centers that charge full price).

6. AntonisCy May 19, 2020

Maybe this is a bad time to send in a watch for service if it isn't desperately needed.

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 19, 2020

You must be right, I’m sure they’d rather wait for a year or so and don’t want to be dealing with lost packages. Not worth the trouble.
    In France postal workers deliver packages « without contact » ie without signature. They don’t even go into the floors of the building, I just got a small watch, the very nice postman called me up and put the package on the elevator alone.

8. Annapolis May 19, 2020

It’s definitely a valid point. That said, I was told I could contact the Service Centre if I wanted and that they were back to normal operations now. Could be an unwritten policy to softly discourage at the moment, though.

9. Duckie May 19, 2020

It's certainly a refreshing approach.
    I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago with a 2006 Co-axial Railmaster that was running just fine and certainly well within its Chronometer specs but progressively losing more time as it went along.
    Originally it always ran a rock solid +3-3.5 seconds per day regardless of what it was subjected to. It was worn infrequently but well outside of the recommended service interval originally outlined in the owners manual.
    Quite frankly I probably wouldn't have had it serviced if it wasn't progressively losing time.
    I took it to an independent watchmaker and they said not to worry about it after puting it on a timeographer to see how it was running.

But the old rule applies.
    If it's showing signs that there's something off with it. It's letting you know it requires some TLC.
    Then one has to balance this with the other rule.
    If it's running fine, don't go opening it up unnecessarily.

In summary, I took into consideration the amount of time I wear it and the fact it was 5 years or so overdue for a service. More importantly the fact it was progressively loosing time.
    As I place a high degree of importance on proper maintainence and i respect my gear, it was serviced regardless.
    Was i happy with the result?
    Yes and no, in terms of timekeeping.
    But i know there's a clean movement with fresh lube in there and that's a good thing:thumbsup:

Annapolis likes this.
  10. Annapolis May 19, 2020

We think alike. For me, it’s the absolute peace of mind of authenticity, even though I don’t have any reason to doubt presently; more importantly, I don’t like not knowing its service history going forward—if I swallow the cost and get it done myself, then I’ll have a baseline to work from. Maybe after that point I’d be more comfortable pressing well beyond the interval. The 2-year warranty is worth something too, I suppose.

But it may be wisest to wait until we’re out of this current quagmire.

time flies likes this.
  11. Duckie May 19, 2020

I concur.
    Time is on your side so you can keep an eye on its timekeeping in the interim:thumbsup:
    Get to know it better;)

What colour dial?

12. Annapolis May 19, 2020

I think technically it’s described as silver/sunburst but to my eyes it’s more like a metallic white. It changes character quite a bit depending on the light. I’ve squandered precious minutes staring at it dopily.

ACC7458C-A9D3-4E74-BD4F-8CAB4050B3A3.jpeg
  13. Annapolis May 19, 2020

I have it mounted on the FOIS band, which suits it just perfectly, imo.

Duckie likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2020

This is likely the real reason...there is pent up demand as some service centres have been shut down. My inbox reflects this...

BradleyJ., Pazzo, Annapolis and 6 others like this.
  15. Duckie May 19, 2020

Absolutely stunning.
    I can't ever recall seeing that particular dial in my particular market:thumbsdown:
    If I'd ever seen one back then, I probably could have saved myself some money and picked it up as my dedicated dress watch on a strap instead of getting a GS sbgw253.

That Omega is such an overall balanced watch design combined with capability and I love that classic twisted lug case.
    The dial is truly wonderful, so no wonder you get a little mesmerized from time to time:)

That's what it's all about really:thumbsup:
    Enjoy that puppy and thanks for sharing a pic:)

Annapolis likes this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2020

oh really??? I have a watch that keeps perfect time and I know for a fact the oils are shot and it needs a service badly.

M'Bob likes this.
  17. Duckie May 19, 2020

Fair enough.

I was on the fence for a long time but after communicating with a respected watchmaker about the merits and downsides of my situation.
    The watchmaker said that a Co-axial can be running fine but be beating itself to death.
    That's the most complelling argument that made me go ahead with the service but there were a whole lot of other minor factors not mentioned above that came together.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 20, 2020

And where were you?
    At your elevator door, watching intently the floor level arrow in case it stopped for too long?
    Or in the stairwell, following the elevator up to your floor?

:D

DaveK, Annapolis and Als 27 like this.
  19. Annapolis May 20, 2020

Only why not just say that?—the rep, I mean. If you’re right, and I don’t doubt it, it seems a better tack to me for the rep to be perfectly candid: “look, we’re facing a backlog of service requests and are asking folks to hold off on preventive maintenance while we deal with that.” The alternative—suggesting deferral as a general principle rather than a temporary need—seems a bit irresponsible and misleading. The very clear sense I was given was that Omega service is open and eager for business—with small delays and slightly diminished staff, but it’s business as normal.

I’m not disagreeing: I can’t think of an answer that makes more sense. It’s just too bad, if that’s the case, that a company rep would prefer (or be advised) to misinform or placate rather than be forthright.

As a relevant coda: before this more nuanced webchat exchange (as I posted in a different thread a few days back) I had a phone call with Omega just to find out whether they’re open for business. (As I learned then, yes, they are.) And I did ask then, is now a bad time to send in a watch—are they slammed with delays? I was assured that the delays are minor and should not deter anyone from submitting for service. Granted, there was nothing detailed about that call—it was 30 seconds and I never mentioned the fact that it was just a routine service I was after.

Anyway, just a for-your-situational-awareness kinda thing.

Edited May 20, 2020
  20. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 20, 2020

Donn Chambers and imageWIS like this.