Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 26, 2020

Browsing Ebay, and wondering about the most recent nail in the trading watches coffin, (Sales Tax Collection) I saw this, and its quite nice.Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network Ill copy a couple of photos for prosperity

It is a 105.012-66HF and it is currently at USD5400 with 4 days to go - and of course I have no connection to seller. Why do I post this? Because I have a backlog of people asking me about this reference and so I feel it is in the public interest to discuss it. Also I like to hear what other members have to say about watches, rather than me offering all the opinions.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

It has fat neck pushers, original spec crown and in general the condition is above average for Ebay, and I have to wonder where this might end up.

Case is looking good:

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600.jpg

At $5400 I cant think of anyone I know who would not buy this watch at this level.

So where do we think it will end up? There are better ones around, but is this not one of the better watches we have seen for a while in a public sale?

2. Patrik83 Jan 26, 2020

I agree. It is a nice watch with the correct parts. The things that pull it down for me are (now I am being picky) the paint loss in the center of the hands, the paint loss on 7 sec marker, the spots on the hour lume, the scratches on parts of the movement. One the plus side a flat link bracelet with correct end links, however, a bit late date stamp so probably not shipped with this watch.

My guess would be that it ends in the region of 10500 USD.

Btw. This is @ndgal ’s listing.

Edited Jan 26, 2020
    Tet, Shabbaz and Spacefruit like this.
  3. ATWG Jan 26, 2020

Lovely watch, I believe the seller lives in our OF community ;)

4. athom Jan 26, 2020

5. harrymai86 Jan 26, 2020

It will pass 10k imho,

Muddlerminnow and Baz9614 like this.
  6. fbf Jan 26, 2020

Nice .

7. ATWG Jan 26, 2020

Good seller ....

Pinoysurf likes this.
  8. Dan S Jan 26, 2020

No question it's a nice piece and a great listing. It faces up especially well, the dial and hands are very appealing, the minor paint loss doesn't bother me much. The fact that is all correct and comes complete with bracelet and Extract should help the price, as will the fact the the seller is very knowledgeable. I'd be happy to have this watch. I think that the case will hold back the price a bit, but I agree that someone who wants this watch should be prepared to go over $10k. It's not going to go cheap, especially after this thread. :D

bigsom likes this.
  9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 26, 2020

165 watchers must be some kind of record. What does that number tell us?. Curious about where the price goes?. Large amount of collectors in the market?. or just the condition of the watch makes this a more interesting piece?.

Now 181

Edited Jan 30, 2020
    Eve likes this.
  10. bigsom Jan 26, 2020

I agree, the case is what really holds this one back. Otherwise it's really lovely.

Given recent speedmaster prices I think this one ends around 9k with ebay charging their 8 percent sales tax.

11. killer67 Jan 26, 2020

He’s a reputable seller which also increases the watchers. Good buy for < 10K

12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 26, 2020

I'm a bit uneasy about one of the world's best known Speedmaster personality discussing an active eBay listing on the widely read Omega Forum here..... It's good for the seller , but price recommendations for active Auctions? Kind regards. Achim

Interstellar and Eve like this.
  13. Dr.K Jan 26, 2020

14. killer67 Jan 26, 2020

because you think it might artificially inflate the price and distort actual market value? Or something else?

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 27, 2020

I knowledge this sentiment - but my point that a 105.012 for $5400 (as it was, now $7,500) is something interesting and worth discussing on this knowledge led forum.

This forum has a history of offering price predictions on watches actively on sale at auction. Many of us enjoy threads like this, following an auction and hearing discussions regarding the attractiveness and integrity of the watch. This watch has been on sale for months. Only now is it offered at auction, and an interesting price - it was not interesting before. So surely a legitimate subject for discussion.

Will a potential buyer be forced to pay more as a result of this thread? Its a fair point to consider. I think not.

I have always thought a correctly listed item on Ebay is NEVER going to fly under the radar.

Like all vintage watches, it is about finding the sweet spot where price meets attraction. Once the price goes too high then its out of the running.

Why is there uneasiness here? I can see it might be because I said I liked it for the price. (which at the time was 5400)

I think I will choose my words more carefully in future, but I will keep posting threads about speedmasters....I like them, and like reading about them, and what people think about them

wagudc, George.A, kgb and 29 others like this.
  16. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 27, 2020

FIFY :)

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 27, 2020

No you didn’t. you inserted your opinion Into something I said

:)

BenBagbag, MTROIS, Xeer and 4 others like this.
  18. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 27, 2020

Can one of you acronym enthusiasts please tell me the meaning of FIFY? ::confused2::

@kov... my old darling... are you so busy that you haven't got the time to type four 'fakkin' words?:)...... :D

Help me out chaps! I've got a vested interest in knowing the right price for a vintage Omega Speedmaster.:(

kov likes this.
  19. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 27, 2020

FIFY - Fixed It For You

nonuffinkbloke, befobe and kov like this.
  20. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 27, 2020

I was too busy with my lunch. Lucky me, @Gav1967 got it fixed in the meantime :thumbsup:

MOISYS (my opinion into something you said) acronym sounds really weird. :confused: I'll stick to FIFY :D

nonuffinkbloke and Gav1967 like this.