Forums Latest Members

I think I may have bought a frankenwatch?

1. Melanieds Sep 8, 2021

FD8D5892-D4DA-4E9E-851E-7D299D577D15.png CDE9E4BA-AF2B-4AC9-B3F8-CF5BA00C445E.jpeg It’s my fault, I didn’t look closely enough at the word “refurbished”. My big issue is the numerals are copper colour and the hands are yellow gold. Is there any chance this is original?

I’ll put it on eBay soon….just wanted views. It’s a Longines 490. Also the face looks grey in real life, on the photo looked white.

3A0C391C-FE2C-4D33-B2DD-6FBEEACE386F.png 25E34963-85B2-4175-809D-25FE9FE9DD2B.jpeg
  2. LesXL Sep 8, 2021

Have you compared it to others with the same reference number on the internet?

Difference between hands and markers could be explained by a replacement of hands during a service...

That said, I don't like the Flagship writing ... Looks like a redial to me.

ivan11 and Melanieds like this.
  3. philips Sep 8, 2021

If you are not happy, can you return it?

4. Melanieds Sep 8, 2021

Can’t return it apparently. Bought from Argentina. Yes, I think the hands have been replaced too. Not convinced it’s a redial - my photos don’t show it but there is some patina. But I shall check. Is the number on the back the reference number?

5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 8, 2021

I think you could return it based on the heavy color processing in the dial, which makes it “not as described”.
    Just say the pictures were deceptive— which is true.
    Even if the listing said “returns refused”, Ebay is famous for siding with buyers who are unhappy— you should file a claim.

PS and yes the reference number should be the one that’s inside the case back, unless of course that part was swapped. and I do, sadly, agree the dial looks refinished.

I think you should try to file a claim immediately with a picture saying you would never have bought it if the picture had not beenanipulated.

DaveK, Melanieds and watchyouwant like this.
  6. Melanieds Sep 8, 2021

I’ve asked again. Having it in front of me am not convinced it’s a redial, but the hands are certainly replacements, and it being grey not white is annoying.

7. Melanieds Sep 8, 2021

I’ve also sent an email to Longines to check authenticity.

8. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 9, 2021

They will at best tell your when it was delivered I think.

Melanieds likes this.
  9. Melanieds Sep 9, 2021

Thanks! I’ve checked the model number and despite scepticism, I think the lettering checks out - it’s just the dial colour and gold hands that don’t. Redial/repaint- maybe, and new hands definitely I think.

10. wagudc Sep 9, 2021

I am with @LesXL, the Flagship font looks fishy to me. I recently bought a 1960s Seamaster. I searched out many examples on this forum and elsewhere that I was confident had original dials. Then I zoomed in and clipped out the Seamaster script of each one and put them in a single document with notes including the watch reference number and year if known. This helped me understand the variabilities of the font and helped me learn to spot redails. I feel pretty confident on the coat hook S Seamasters now. I am not an expert on your watch, but I think you could employ the same strategy. I am not confident either way with your watch.

I wish you the best possible outcome. I would listen carefully to @Syrtle's advice. I just noticed she said she thought the dial is refinished. She is a Longines expert, I would trust what she says.

ckhaing, Melanieds and LesXL like this.
  11. Melanieds Sep 10, 2021

Thank you. The odds are certainly stacked in favour of redial (I don’t think they ever made this grey colour), and the hands are certainly different and have been replaced. I’ve opened the back; it’s an 8286-1
    , and it’s got a 490 mechanism ticking away inside, which is something. The vendors are standing firm on the returns issue, I’ve asked. I’m inclined to relist it on ebay noting the flaws and risks, I don’t have the energy for a fight.

12. Melanieds Sep 10, 2021

Ok so I’ve checked the font out further- and you’re right, the p on the font isn’t right, it doesn’t have the same curl the real ones do. Redial for sure.

Damn. Thanks for the education.

wagudc and Spruce like this.
  13. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Sep 10, 2021

We’ve all done it - in my case I probably still do :(

paddymoran and Melanieds like this.
  14. Melanieds Sep 10, 2021

I’m not sure what to do now- push harder via ebay to request a refund, or resell with an honest description and eat any loss? Stupidly I paid on card not PayPal, but still via ebay, so should be protected.

15. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Sep 10, 2021

I’ve returned two or three watches. Each time I’ve emailed ‘contact seller’ on my eBay purchase page. I’ve explained the problem and had no problem returning the watch and getting the refund.

No seller wants a bad review or to be contacted by eBay officialdom. I’ve always offered a good feedback review along the lines of, “easy to deal with” and or “contactable seller” etc.

So see what the seller says. He can always resell it

16. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Sep 10, 2021

And, if he’s taken a direct payment rather than PayPal, he may not want eBay to strike him out for a sale in breach of his eBay agreement

17. Melanieds Sep 10, 2021

I’ve asked twice and he’s said no twice

18. Melanieds Sep 10, 2021

You’re allowed to pay on a card via ebay these days- it was via the ebay payment channels

19. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Sep 10, 2021

Well, if you’ve asked and he’s said he won’t you’d better report him.

And good luck

Edited Sep 10, 2021
    wagudc and Melanieds like this.
  20. Melanieds Sep 27, 2021

Hi all, I’ve had a long discussion with this guy. Firstly he refused repayment, then he offered a partial refund, then when I pointed out the flaw in the lettering (thanks for that tip!) he agreed - but he hasn’t clicked to say he’d accept the refund yet on ebay (I’ve asked him to do so) and he has also asked me to return it to an address in London (it was shipped from Argentina). I’m not convinced that ebay procedures will allow me to ship it to somewhere that it wasn’t actually despatched from? Does anyone know?