Forums Latest Members
  1. blackcat23 Feb 6, 2013

Hi everybody, this is my first time to the forum. I've loved Omega watches for the better part of 15 years, but never had the heart to spend money on a watch for myself. I recently purchased this eBay auction since I really like the vintage Omega's http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140906599926&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network I can still cancel the order as per the seller due to my uncertainty of authenticity. I checked the case number on the official site, but can't find the exact watch I purchased. The serial number date is roughly accurate to the case back number dates so I'm torn as to what I have. I appreciate any advice in advance.

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 6, 2013

Hi,
    There are others here who have much greater knowledge than me but I am fairly certain the watch is not fake. The omega database is known to be far from complete but you will be able to find your watch there if you search under ref #135.0070, I realise the number on your caseback is different but there may be a few reasons for this

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 6, 2013

The watch you purchased is quite genuine and looks to be correct and in good original unmolested condition.

Trev likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Feb 6, 2013

If that's your first vintage Omega, and you bought it on your own, congrats. You're braver than you should be! Next time ask BEFORE buying. We're here to help.

5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 6, 2013

looks o.k. to me. should be around $300-400. with your dial maybe closer to $ 300. should work just fine. kind regards. achim

6. Spy You know my name. Feb 6, 2013

"unmolested" LMAO!

7. ulackfocus Feb 6, 2013

It's sad to say but given the current amount of frankens, redials, and butchered refinishes that may be the most accurate way of putting it.

8. Spy You know my name. Feb 6, 2013

It is just that I have never quite seen it word that way. I literally choked on my grapes.

9. blackcat23 Feb 7, 2013

Thanks so much for all your replies. I had trolled a few other auctions and actually used some info for novices from http://www.ablogtowatch.com/collecting-vintage-omega-watches/ only to find that I was almost certainly looking at watches with fake bracelets and most likely inaccurate parts. I was able to secure this Omega for a best offer of $250. which seemed fair to me. I can't thank you guys enough for making me feel a bit better about this potential headache. Also, I'm really excited to be part of the Omega and watch collector community. I was in Lucerne Switzerland about three months ago which really ignited my interest in time pieces. I'm not sure if other parts of Switzerland are the same, but Lucerne was 40% scenery, 10% banks, and 50% store fronts full of ridiculous watches. Once again, thanks for the input and I hope to be frequent part of the forum....within cost effective reason. on a side note, is there a good starting point to learn about refurbishing or servicing Omega's. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and would really enjoy learning some Omega workings as a hobby.

10. blackcat23 Feb 7, 2013

Does anybody have any advice on what to do once I receive the watch (service, seals, etc)? If so, should any service be done only by Omega? My main concern would be water resistance and would possibly like to replace the case seal. Is there a trusted source for seals or parts that you guys use? Thanks in advance.

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 7, 2013

definitely don't use omega. They Charge a fortune and often replace things that they shouldn't be - reducing the watch's vintage value. Where do you live? One of our members might be able to recommend a good local watch repairer. Or Steve (n2fhl) services watches for lots of members here.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 7, 2013

It would be advisable to have it serviced (clean, oiled etc).

Also new caseback and crown/seal (should be part of the service) if you want to have some form of water resistance, however this is a vintage watch and water resistance is something that shouldn't be counted on.

There is no need to have Omega do the work, the movement is one of the nicest to work on and isn't beyond the capabilities of any local watchmaker (trusted one that is!).

If it was mine I'd pop a new crystal on it for a few extra bucks it'll make that dial look great. And maybe the dial could do with a light dusting but nothing more than that.

Here's mine of the same vintage to show you how it may end up.

Cheers

Jim

[​IMG]

13. Wheels Feb 7, 2013

Congrats on having the balls to do what you did! From China, of all places! Would have been enough to scare me off!
    I can only echo the others, if you let us know where you love we can recommend a good watchmaker near you. Well done!

14. blackcat23 Feb 7, 2013

I would love to have it looked at by a trusted individual. I live about 30 min NW of Chicago. Also, is there a source for parts that anyone knows of (for crystal, seals). Thanks Wheels, I actually was trying to avoid the Asian and Indian marketplace because of the fake warnings I read about. I placed my best offer and only then realized that it was from China..then face-palmed for a bit.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 7, 2013

Ofrei.com and Jules Borel are both US based parts supplikers for Omega. There are others as well. Once you choose a watchmaker, they may have their own preferences for suppliers. Parts for your watch usually are fairly easy to source.

It's a good idea to keep these websites handy, so you can have an idea of how much the watchie is marking up the price. Most don't, but some do.
    gatorcpa

16. blackcat23 Feb 8, 2013

Jim, the watch you posted looks amazing. Was it in that good of shape when you got it?

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 13, 2013

Sorry I took so long to answer, got sidetracked on eBay ;-) (Blame Kyle, Ashley et al).

When I saw it on the bay it looked pretty crappy as the crystal was really crazed and you could hardly see through it. But there wasn't any obvious "big bang" damage and the movement looked in excellent condition so I tool a gamble that the dial would be the same.

I suspect it was an original buy, fitted with a Spiedel when the strap wore out and was a daily wearer for someone.

When I got it the first thing I did was pop the crystal, even before I opened the back! It was a nice surprise, the once silver sun burst had aged to a perfect dark silver without any pock marks, so patina in the cleanest form.

I put on a new crystal (from Ofrie in the US) and hung it on a JB Champion flex mesh.

For $137 I'm happy.

:)