Forums Latest Members
  1. olilugo Aug 18, 2019

hi all,
    I was hoping someone could identify this watch. I have yet to see one like it.
    store short. I think my grandfather bought this watch - possible Portugal, then it was given to my father and then to me.
    I have never wore this watch. lately I have been very curious about this watch and even if it is real.
    The watch is a 19k gold watch, the crown does not seam to be gold. I am not sure if the bracelet is the original and everyone I can ask is long gone.
    I tried to take the back case but the watch came with it so in one piece I had the top assembly of the watch and on the other hand I had the dial and the rest of the back. maybe I did something wrong so I put it back.

this is all to say I have no idea how to separate the back case so that I can see the movement. maybe you guys have an idea.

here are a couple of pictures.
    Thanks in advance.

IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1656.JPG IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1660.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 18, 2019

Take it to a watchmaker.

3. BenBagbag Aug 18, 2019

I'm sure people here can help you with a preliminary assessment. I'm surprised by the hallmark on the front of the watch (top left lug). My guess is that it's a third party case made to avoid paying import fees on gold (though I'm not positive the case is 100% real gold. I'm not saying it isn't but think it's strange to see the hallmarks in that place). Maybe someone else can comment on the case.

DaveK and connieseamaster like this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 18, 2019

Dial looks original for a circa 1950 manual-wind Omega.

I have never seen any Swiss made case in 19 karat gold. You can always have the gold content verified by a jeweler.

Certainly not an Omega case. Hallmark looks South American to me.
    gatorcpa

BenBagbag likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 18, 2019

Portuguese authorities stamped a small mark on the top of one of the lugs, most I've seen were on the 11 o'clock lug though.

As @gatorcpa noted, I suspect it's a foreign cased watch, i.e.: the movement was imported and the case was made locally.
    A normal practice during the period that this watch was introduced.

A proper watchmaker will be able to reveal all.

BenBagbag likes this.
  6. mac_omega Aug 19, 2019

Just to add:

besides the hallmark on top of one lug the 19K alloy seems to be an indication for the Portuguese market.

I bought a gold watch from Portugal which had an 19K bracelet - pure coincidence?

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 19, 2019

I like the sound of 19K gold. Like 18K but one better.

[​IMG]

ConElPueblo, DaveK and Edward53 like this.
  8. olilugo Aug 19, 2019

Thank you all, for your comments.
    It is very interesting to me that it took a YouTube video for me to get interested in this old watch. It has been in my possession for over 40 years in a safe. Since it was a gift, I never thought of warring it other than the day it was given to me. I remember that when I put it on, the bracelet was too big, so I put it away.
    Now I find it that there does not seem to be others like it, which makes me question the authenticity of this watch.
    Still has sentimental value.