Forums Latest Members

I KNEW this would happen...

1. kip595 Oct 2, 2021

...and I couldn't be happier that it did! Pretty much as soon as I saw the release announcement I knew the allure of a truly retro-designed, modern 'field' watch from Seiko that stayed true to the roots of the original (generally, at least) would be too good to resist.

Now here we are a few months later and I have my brand new (to me) 1959 re-edition green dial - call it heresy, but I actually like this shade of green's execution here more than the current Omega or Rolex offerings - this is still its first 'day on the wrist' but just a really lovely watch, all-around.

If there's any interest in a week or so I'd be happy to write a full review/opinion on it, if anyone out there is debating one!

1959 Green Seiko (new).jpg

*Shown on aftermarket leather strap.

Happy weekend all!

Edited Oct 2, 2021
    noelekal, Caliber561, Walrus and 12 others like this.
  2. Omega D Oct 2, 2021

Very interesting cross between dress and sports

kip595 likes this.
  3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 2, 2021

V. nice and love the strap with it :thumbsup:

kip595 and marcn like this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 2, 2021

Dibs! :thumbsup:

kip595 likes this.
  5. kip595 Oct 2, 2021

Thanks @Alpha - The strap is a very nice non-branded 20mm that fits despite the lugs technically being 19mm - it's perfect for day-to-day use, IMO, non-quick release with a heavy double stitch and solid belt-notch clasp. Done in a very even dark green vintage leather style w/o too much distressing - compliments the dial excellently. I'm planning to keep the OEM black leather spare in the case. :)

@blufinz52 - noted! lol :thumbsup:

Alpha and blufinz52 like this.
  6. Mediocre Oct 4, 2021

Congrats, very nice!

Quality write up are always welcome!

7. kip595 Oct 10, 2021

Well in the end I've concurred with much of what I had heard about the watch beforehand: it's a great Go-Anywhere; Do Anything or GADA watch, but if you dress to specific environs, it may not be the perfect fit for you.

Pros:
    -Stunning to look at.
    -Wears similarly to a Sinn 104, which IMHO is very comfortable on a strap.
    -Looks good on my slab of a wrist but probably wouldn't be too overwhelming on anyone at least 6-6.5" either.
    -200m depth rating w/screw-down crown.

Cons:
    -It feels, weighs, and has a bit of thickness like a good tool watch, but visually looks like a dress watch - so then I tend not to wear it in hard work environs but if I'm in meetings all day I want something a bit slimmer and trimmer.

So while it's a great watch, it isn't in the 'keeper' column for me - I wouldn't dissuade anyone from one however either, in any of the colorways!

8. Walrus Oct 10, 2021

Can I ask were you picked this up. I go through joma shop but their selection of seiko is almost too vast. Love seiko but I haven’t warmed up to the X on the dial of these models just my thing they still look great

kip595 likes this.
  9. kip595 Oct 10, 2021

I actually picked this one up from a Seiko collector out of Canada - though I would suggest there'll probably be one here on the private sales soon...:whistling:

...*Unless I biffed a rule somehow when I wrote the post just not (Also hope this doesn't count as not ok to mention somehow!) :confused:

10. JwRosenthal Oct 10, 2021

@Walrus - PM @kip595

kip595 likes this.