Forums Latest Members

I don't understand the recent Rolex SS craze/shortage. What am I missing?

1. mk2rick Feb 16, 2020

I’m from a small country and we have like 5 ADs ? Recently 2 lost their dealerships so that’s pretty sizeable!

maybe it’s Rolex just punishing those ADs that sell to the grey markets .. but then again blame it on those ADs who get caught ..

I don’t understand this craze too. If this brand doesn’t want my money I’ll take it somewhere else to another brand who does!

Partagas likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 16, 2020

Or they cannot move enough DJ's to make quota, remember AD's get alotments they have to sell.... Its not always what it seems...

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 16, 2020

If anything the number of AD’s appears to be shrinking, rather than growing...

Kmart, Nobel Prize and Foo2rama like this.
  4. janice&fred Feb 16, 2020

I dunno it could very well be rolex intended Tudor to fill at least some of this gap? I agree Omega is and rightfully so. Tudor does seem to have some real nice offerings since it's revamp of model line a few years ago.

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 16, 2020

6. MTROIS Feb 16, 2020

There is no denying that many factors are at play. May be the number of ADs. May be decreased production. May be increased demand. May be exposure of the brand to more people through all the blogs and social media. And what else? Possibly many many more facets of this situation.

But for one, I am absolutely convinced that more people have been hoarding that many more Rolex units in their collection than in the past. Look at our forums and see how many people are now trying to get all SS references, even if they barely have any time to wear them. Why? Prestige. Liquid (but seemingly safe) asset. Veblen good. Etc etc.
    I think this has really been a perfect storm for SS models in general.

Whether this is only a bubble that will eventually burst if and when people move on to the next big thing (whether it be yellow gold, two tone, pocket watches again, or any other “trend”), it is anybody’s guess.

cvalue13 likes this.
  7. JwRosenthal Feb 16, 2020

The Wikipedia entry will read- Montres Rolex S.A. 1920-2024
    Rolex was a watch brand making upper mid-tier mass production tool, sport and dress watches and was known as an aspirational luxury brand during the 20th century. After a series of poor business decisions, they were bought out by Swatch Group in 2024 and relegated to their mid-tier line along with Hamilton and Tissot.

joeshoup, Kmart, KeithS and 7 others like this.
  8. Evitzee Feb 16, 2020

It's only a little over six weeks until April 1st, repost this then for a good laugh.

9. Premaster Feb 16, 2020

I think these grey cloud reading, apocalyptically colored statements have been part of Rolex history for decades now. Hmmm...

Edited Feb 16, 2020
  10. jankymutt Feb 16, 2020

I don't think this is going to happen, but the thought of Rolex rigging the system to increase the sales of their precious metal watches or "less desirable models" is fascinating. I got a little bit obsessed with gettin a SS submariner no date this year, but I took a step back recently and thought: "Am I just getting caught up in all the hype?" Even at retail, is this watch worth $8k? Is it really worth $3k more than my Seamaster? In my opinions, it's a beautiful piece and, yes, I would pay retail for one. But I certainly don't think it's worth the $10-12 price tag that grey dealers are charging.

mmaggi, Dan S, MTROIS and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 16, 2020

Maybe they're making money out of licensing those AD's but it seems stupid to increase AD's without increasing distribution.

As frustrating as it is we keep getting emotionally confused here. Of course there are plenty of watches to buy and one doesn't have to "give" the money to Rolex. You really only have an issue if what you want is a Rolex. Then the shortage is really frustrating.

I don't love the RO, nor do I see it as such a game changer. And I like and respect Genta but that's not enought for me to fan out. Don't get me wrong it is a great watch, and I don't dislike it, but it is not on a short list for me and I don't think it's the best AP.

There are a lot of watches historically, horologically and trend-wise that equal or surpass Rolex....so if I buy thinking about buying the "best" instead of "What I want to buy" then Rolex is not the best choice....although it does maintain and gain value handsomely.

So:

Do you want to buy the best not matter what your taste drives you towards?

or

Do you want to buy what you want even if it is not the best?

This applies for the buyers that get frustrated and state "I don't have to give them my money, plenty of choices, if they don't want to sell more then I don't want to buy more. What this says to me is...I wanted it, can't get it...now I not only DON'T want it but it's not that good.....but if I could get it then it would be very good"

Conversely, If you manage to get a Rolex (paying a premium or not) it actually does not make the watch any better than it actually is. There will still be better watches aplenty to compare it to.

You want it, buy it. You don't, don't. But let's not change the value or lack thereof based on our emotional frustration.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 16, 2020

Has Rolex ever been the best? Nope never.
    Has Rolex been the best at a price point? I cannot think of a time in the last 30 years they have.

Kmart, mmaggi, KingCrouchy and 3 others like this.
  13. Partagas Feb 16, 2020

)
    As a guy that owns 3 Rolex watches that I do love (though no sports models), I think you're correct, just not worth the coin. I didn't even own a dive watch and was reading some solid reviews on Steinhart and after a major addition of my home, wasn't really interested in spending $8k+ on a dive watch. I pulled the trigger on a Steinhart Ocean One 39mm. For $425 I'm totally enamored with this watch and have worn it every day for the 2+ weeks I've owned it. I know a homage watch isn't for everyone, but I'm thrilled with it. I'm glad I didn't bother getting on a list at an AD. I have always been unwilling to pay over MSRP for pretty much everything, so going grey was never a consideration for a Sub. Now, I figure I'm that much closer to getting the Speedmaster I want to add to my collection.:)

blufinz52 and nzshadow like this.
  14. cvalue13 Feb 16, 2020

15. Partagas Feb 16, 2020

None of my posts re: "that watch" have been deleted, so I think that might not be accurate at this time, sir. It's not a fake either, lol, it's clearly labeled "Steinhart".

Pepe Lucas likes this.
  16. cvalue13 Feb 16, 2020

I didn’t really care to take a position, but instead was just reporting the facts - the sticky speaks for itself, and is a rational position RE the distinction between an “homage” and a “replica”/“fake.”

But if pressed, I tend to agree and it’s obvious to most that “homage” is marketing speak for “replica,” while “Steinhart” is just a funny way of spelling “Rolex Sub Replica”...

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 16, 2020

I agree, but neither of those are my points. In fact I agree with you 100%.

that’s why I am saying, don’t buy it because it’s the best (it’s not) or stop buying it because it’s not.

you either like it, want it, or not.
    It shouldn’t be that complicated or emotional

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 17, 2020

but only the Daytona was wait listed and it had nothing to do with Rolex back then. Due to the fact that Rolex was only given a limited number of the zenith movements to make the Daytona it highly limited their ability to make them.

Premaster likes this.
  19. mishad Feb 17, 2020

From Sept 14th, page 13:
    Now, if Rolex would only make available a new SS sports for each comment in this thread...

After they finally clear the apparent warehouses full of PM watches originally destined for China before the corruption crackdown, the test for Rolex mgmt will be whether they can reintroduce the SS models to the distribution channel gradually enough to avoid crashing the secondary market (which would also hurt the primary market if buyers no longer see a Rolex as a "safe buy" that will not lose value as soon as it leaves the store).

20. mzinski Feb 17, 2020

Like you I find it confounding. There’s obviously plenty of supply out there but the sellers are unrelenting in price.