Forums Latest Members

How would you asses this 1979 Rolex 1550?

1. wechiri Aug 6, 2020

Hello, this rolex is listed as 2.2k. to me it looks like the bottom left lug is polished on the inside because there is a space between the bracelet. also the case looks polished. I posted my questions and the responses here. I was going to say the lume was redone but it appears the person is holding a uv light. but the hands dont lume.
    is it fairly priced?
    Thank you!

2.jpg 6.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 14 copy.jpg IMG_7346.JPG IMG_4885.JPG
  2. wechiri Aug 6, 2020

also the bracelet is not included

watch3s likes this.
  3. Dan S Aug 6, 2020

Unlikely that the inside of the lug was polished, but yes the case shows some signs of moderate polishing. For pricing, eBay sales (not asking prices) and forum sales are good references for research. These gold-capped examples aren't so common, but with some effort you can find some comps. Unfortunate about the bracelet, they're not so easy to find.

wechiri likes this.
  4. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 6, 2020

The hands aren’t lighting up because they are tritium and the tritium is dead. The lume plots, if they are still tritium, have a little life in them and won’t glow for long after UV exposure is removed.

wechiri likes this.
  5. wechiri Aug 6, 2020

Since I am unfamiliar in regards to the value of rolex watches when being polished. is it a big deal?

6. Dan S Aug 6, 2020

Thanks for commenting on that UV photo, I didn't look closely. The fact that the hands and dial are responding so differently to the UV excitation is a bit concerning, isn't it. It's the phosphor responding to the UV, not really the tritium (which would have originally powered the phosphor). But the fact that the hands aren't responding at all suggests that they may have been refilled at some point with a completely non-luminous material, or at least the materials in hands and dial are quite different.

Edited Aug 6, 2020
    watch3s, wechiri and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  7. Dan S Aug 6, 2020

Value depends on overall condition, and this watch has some pros and cons as most do. The dial is very clean, the case has relatively little wear and tear, but is modestly polished. There is the mismatched lume in hands and dial discussed above. The condition is roughly average overall IMO.

Scarecrow Boat and wechiri like this.
  8. wechiri Aug 6, 2020

That is something I will ask the seller about it thanks! a video of it should clear up any confusions right?

9. janice&fred Aug 6, 2020

To me it looks like a good example and unless the hands not glowing bothers you I wouldn't sweat it so much as appearance-wise they look good. The big question is what condition the movement is in, since it's an older watch. Pictures of the movement probably won't give much clue. So my opinion is $2200 without the bracelet and probably needing a service would be too much for me. There have been stainless datejusts listed on this site within the past few months including bracelets that sold for only a couple hundred more, and a datejust is more desirable than the 1500 series any day. The gold cap adds practically nothing to the watch value and makes it less likely to find a compatible jubilee or oyster to match if you wanted to go that route. From the pictures that jubilee and head links combo looks like a Mexican 19mm oval which is relatively scarce nowadays and even more so gold filled. $2200 WITH the bracelet would be a go for me. Just my thoughts :D

Edited Aug 6, 2020
  10. wechiri Aug 6, 2020

i really appreciate your response! as i wanted to negotiate with the seller! and yes i noticed this about the pricing of SS 1500 series on other sites. as this may be my first vintage rolex is it worth it? and how low would you negotiate it for?

janice&fred and kip595 like this.
  11. kip595 Aug 6, 2020

I agree with @janice&fred in their assessment; I've been looking over this and other similar Oyster models and that is a 'with' bracelet price to me for this one. It does take patience, but for 2200 I personally feel you could do better, but, and for me at least this was a big BUT, it will depend in part on what the most important factors are for you: dial, originality, movement, etc.

watch3s and janice&fred like this.
  12. janice&fred Aug 6, 2020

I really can't say there is a right or wrong way to negotiate and I suppose it depends on how much you want a gold colored Rolex to wear on a leather strap. Like I mentioned before, $2200 with the original bracelet would be ok for me but you might be different.

watch3s and wechiri like this.
  13. watch3s Aug 7, 2020

plenty of experienced members have shared their opinions, id likely pass on this for the similar reasons. Vintage watches and especially vintage rolexes in general is quite a minefield. I myself ended up with a datejust that I thought was a bargain but after i sent it off to repairs, had to tack on almost $1000 for service and welding just for it to pass pressure testing.

14. Dan S Aug 7, 2020

I really think that the negotiation is up to you and the seller. Here are a few things for you to think about in general.

- Have you actually tried 34mm and 36mm Rolex models on your wrist? Some people feel that 34mm is fine, but others find it too small. If you haven't tried them in-person, I wouldn't jump into a purchase yet.

- Is it important for you to have a gold-colored Rolex? If so, then your options are quite limited in this price range. For an additional $1k, you can get into a decent SS DJ, but the entry point for solid gold Rolex watches is quite a bit higher. So if you really want a "golden" Rolex, maybe this is the reference you can afford, and they aren't terribly common, so that could influence the price you are willing to pay.

- It is almost always better to buy the bracelet and watch together instead of buying the watch and trying to find the bracelet afterwards.

15. watch3s Aug 7, 2020

thats more sage advice right there, rolex piece meal is pricey even for modern stuff. Because Ive done it, explorer 2 head only and then sourcing a correct bracelet.

wechiri likes this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 7, 2020

Here is my my model 1500 from the same era. I am not sure what the difference between 1500 and 1550, movement maybe? This is solid 14K

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 7, 2020
    Davidt, Shabbaz, JwRosenthal and 4 others like this.
  17. janice&fred Aug 7, 2020

I have always preferred the color of some 14k examples over 18k. It is also a bit more robust.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  18. RonJ Aug 7, 2020

Your watch looks great with that brown strap.
    I think that's the way to go if the OP buys the gold Date Rolex (instead of trying to find a gold Jubilee bracelet for it).

19. queriver Aug 7, 2020

I know nothing about Rolexes but read this thread title, then read it again, and again. When I convinced myself I wasn't seeing things I had to come in here. The English language, and how one letter can change everything. Love it OP, don't change the title :thumbsup: As for the rest of the posters here, well you know what you are: ::bleh::

asses - Copy.jpg

Disclaimer: apologies to any person or member of the horse family who is outraged by this offensive and politically incorrect post. :oops:

wechiri and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  20. wechiri Aug 7, 2020

Haha!! I swore i spelt it correctly now i see it

queriver likes this.