Forums Latest Members

How would you high-polish this tiny little area?

1. M'Bob Aug 17, 2018

See the little elongated triangle just inset of where the top of bottom left lug meets the case, and just under the bezel? You can see that the person who was refinishing the case by putting the satin finish back on the lugs, went too far in and scratched up that little triangular area, in all four spots on the case.

So I tried getting in there with a flat toothpick wrapped in a tiny piece of cotton, which was then dabbed with Simichrome, and while it was improved somewhat, I'm generally unhappy with the result. I can't seem to get a good shine to the area. Made me wonder if I needed a finer grit paste than the Simichrome, or maybe there is a better technique to try? Many thanks.

image.jpeg

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 17, 2018

Will be much easier if you remove the bracelet and bezel.

Anyway, I’d just leave it alone.

Vercingetorix likes this.
  3. M'Bob Aug 17, 2018

What fun would that be?

thekwaze likes this.
  4. Professor Aug 17, 2018

Make a slim rectangular polishing board from plastic and use double sided tape to secure a piece of thin cotton cloth to it leaving the sides of the board bare. Use only the finest emery flour you can find to load the cloth.
    Also you might try the polishing compound used to refurbish plastic headlight covers and tail lights. I use PlastX brand to final polish acrylic crystals.

M'Bob likes this.
  5. JesterP Aug 17, 2018

I would remove the bracelet and hold it firmly wrapped up in a cloth whilst applying more pressure with a very fine grit. Try and rub it the opposite way of the lines. So from bottom to top of lug. I hope this is some help mate

M'Bob likes this.
  6. thekwaze Aug 17, 2018

Personally I would do the following:
    Remove the bracelet and then mask off the surrounding areas.
    Then use polishing compounds on a cloth wrapped around a toothpick, starting with Green, then Blue and finish with Pink.

M'Bob likes this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 17, 2018

More fun than obsessing over this tiny flaw, and potentially making it worse. ::popcorn::

thekwaze likes this.
  8. Vitezi Aug 17, 2018

Making it worse when you're trying to make it better is the worst feeling ever :(

thekwaze likes this.
  9. thekwaze Aug 17, 2018

Yes I agree with Vitezi and Darlingboy - unless you've polished a lot of watches, not worth the bother of obtaining the kit or risking making it worse.
    Have you had a look at others to ensure what the correct finish should be? Maybe it's supposed to be like that?

Edited Aug 17, 2018
  10. M'Bob Aug 17, 2018

First of all, obsessing over inconsequential first-world, horology-related issues provides exactly the kind of life diversion that makes the hobby fun.

Next: too late; already made it worse.

thekwaze likes this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 17, 2018

thekwaze likes this.
  12. wsfarrell Aug 17, 2018

I use micro-mesh a lot. The 1500 grit should be low enough to remove small scratches, and 4000--12000 will be close to a mirror, depending on the metal.

M'Bob likes this.
  13. thekwaze Aug 17, 2018

Don’t get me wrong I would have to polish that too, but I’m pedantic like that...

M'Bob likes this.
  14. thekwaze Aug 17, 2018

Darlinboy likes this.
  15. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 17, 2018

Trade for an 18K Constellation Deluxe and forget about polishing.

16. M'Bob Aug 17, 2018

So the Simichrome polish supposedly has 8 to 10 micron size abrasives in it, but do you or anyone else know how this translates to the grit rating of the different papers as noted in your post?

Edit: okay, found out around 2400-3600.