Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. NobodySpecial Oct 23, 2019

As a full time student, I bartend on the side. I always take note of watches when I can and I've never noticed anything interesting. Most people in my area who are trying to look fancy just wear excessively shiny Invicta or Fossil watches, if not just the standard white g-shock.

Ive only ever ran into two watches of note in the wild. The first was a tattoo artist in my hometown who's a collector. I noticed his speedy pro and eventually picked up my Seamaster 200 off of him. The second was an Air-King worn by a man who claimed to be a pilot who I ran into at a bar. He was trying to flaunt his money by claiming he could afford to just throw away his watch and subsequently feigning to give it away. He is now in federal prison for crashing a plane that he was not licensed to fly while he was intoxicated. I wonder if he'll sell that watch for cheap to make bail?

Edited Oct 23, 2019
    OmegaRookie and larryganz like this.
  2. Desmodromic Oct 23, 2019

When refilling a prescription I noticed the pharmacist was wearing a gold Constellation. Husband bought his and hers on their wedding day in 1992. Apparently they are the only watches they own, and she said they treat them like their wedding rings. I'm a sucker for watch stories like that.

Edited Oct 23, 2019
    OMESQ, sjg22, bardamu and 4 others like this.
  3. JTridesbikes Oct 23, 2019

When we got engaged, I made a joke to my wife about the new tradition of "the engagement watch?" It was a running joke, and I never thought anything would come of it. However, after walking up the aisle and photos, and before we were introduced at the reception, she had a 2016 Aqua Terra in a box waiting for me. It was one that I had seen in the store one weekend 7 months prior, when we were at the mall for something else. I definitely was not expecting that and shed a tear or two when she presented it!

When I went to get the links taken out, the store clerks were like "Engagement watch?!!! Why the hell haven't we been using this for sales?!!"

lindo, ewand, larryganz and 2 others like this.
  4. OmeGez Oct 23, 2019

Engagement watches are perfect - I bought myself a 2254 the day I bought an engagement ring. It’s only fair..

OMESQ, JTridesbikes and Desmodromic like this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 23, 2019

bardamu and OmegaRookie like this.
  6. time flies Oct 23, 2019

Quite the scar. What? Oh...the watch. Yeah, it's ok.

Have fun
    kfw

OmegaRookie, chronos, TJH and 3 others like this.
  7. larryganz The cable guy Oct 23, 2019

There’s something about a fine woman wearing a man’s watch...

57A8E279-F68C-4CD9-8D54-37E030DB13C7.jpeg

8. queriver Oct 25, 2019

I was sitting in my aisle seat on a plane the other day waiting while other passengers were backed up along the aisle waiting to get to their seats. Quite close stood a man wearing what I'm fairly certain was a vintage white/silver dial Heuer Carrera. I was going to mention it to him but was too embarrassed to do so because I was wearing a Fitbit my wife had just given me.

Edited Oct 25, 2019
  9. Dr.Sascha Oct 25, 2019

I was doing a TV filming the other week and noticed that one of the producers, in his mid-20s, was wearing a 1950s Eterna. When I asked him about it, he told me, "oh yes, my grandfather gave it to me. He said that every man should have a decent watch--he gets them from car boot sales." I ended up corresponding with him (the grandfather) and he has a very nice collection, including all the classics (JGL, G-P, etc.), about 60 in all, including 10 Omegas. Really lovely chap, though disappointed that none of his sons share his passion for classic timepieces. I hope to visit him some day up in Oxfordshire to see them all for myself!

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  10. mickygee Oct 25, 2019

I don't think I notice watches on strangers that I pass by, but soon as I converse with someone I immediately look down to see if they are strapped. Life will be more interesting when more women start wearing "mens" watches. Not sure why but i have zero interest in small ladies watches

11. ewand Oct 25, 2019

careful, you'll get arrested taking pictures like that...

queriver likes this.
  12. Bugbait Oct 25, 2019

My clients tend to be in London's Golden Mile or in more recent years, Canary Wharf so there are luxury watches everywhere. Travelling in from West London I also notice them quite regularly on the train. Seeing the occasional female with a small mechanical chrono (not that fashion junk) is a nice surprise.

Apple watches galore though :(

13. rkman11 Dec 9, 2019

I have a compulsion - when I see a nice watch in the wild, I go up and talk to the owner. Always. This has never really bitten me in the ass before, although I’ve definitely discovered people with nice watches that are clearly not into them, they were gifted, etc, and are not interested in talking. But more often than not I’ve had great conversations.

Yesterday I broke my own rule: saw a rose gold AP chronograph, guy in line in front of me... I drooled for several minutes but just didn’t engage. Not sure why, fancy restaurant, busy, didn’t feel like the right moment. But damn it was pretty!

14. Utheman Dec 9, 2019

Every time I see someone wearing a watch, I think, "That's nice!"

So, 100% for me.

bardamu, flw and Lonestar like this.
  15. fbf Dec 9, 2019

my friend (girl) wears a two-tone daytona and i absolutely love it.

I have a few coworkers who love watches. IWC and panerai are the most popular ones. I do see two tone sub or DD once in a while.

16. T4Rdooh Dec 19, 2019

Maintenance supervisor the the property I manage surprised me today. Normally he wears some kind of off brand 49ers watch but today was his day off and he stopped by and I noticed he was wearing something different. Asked him if he was wearing what I thought he was and he says with a big smile “Yup. Rolex Sub”. Told me his wife surprised him in Hawaii on their 25th wedding anniversary a coupe years back

F792788C-22A5-4FD9-8FD7-3F6810650928.jpeg
  17. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jan 4, 2020

Was at a science centre today and while the kids were playing in a closed of section (with me on guard by the entrance/exit of the exhibit) I did some watch spotting. During half an hour I saw: one very nice IWC Portugese chronograph, an AP RO chronograph in gold, a Panerai, a couple of Rolex Datejusts, a Linde Werdelin and an Omega PO.

18. jaspers Jan 4, 2020

Rolex, IWC, Omega and Tag gelore in law firms—both among the attorneys and the clients. My coworkers and I would make a habit out of buying fancy watches with our yearly bonuses. Now I’m a law professor, and I see a lot of mechanical watches that were clearly passed down from father to son. I like the latter a lot better than the former.

As to high-end watches—few and far between. Never seen a Lange or RM in the wild. Some AP or Hublot when I go to the fights. Very few Pateks. A loooooot or Rolex at the airport lounge.

I remember when I first saw a Patek in the wild. It was at the firm where I worked as a first year associate straight out of law school. I knew a little about watches then, and enough to recognize one of the partners wearing a white dial calatrava. Upon me complimenting him on his watch, he loudly replied it was a fake he bought in Thailand. Later he pulled me aside and told me it was in fact real, and that I he had blurted out is was fake before our coworkers. I had startled him as no one had ever noticed it was a Patek before.

19. Canuck Jan 7, 2020

I was in the jewellery store of a friend, today. She knows I am a collector. She had a fabric bag with 5 watches in it, that she wanted to show me. They had been donated to a charity, but before they were offered for sale, they wanted to know something about them. There was a “Franck Muller” knock off with a Chinese movement, “Rolex Yacht-Master” which was an obvious fake, a Kenneth Cole gent’s model, and one other “brand name” watch with a Chinese movement. The fifth one was a good looking 60s vintage Omega Constellation automatic in a steel case with a beads of rice bracelet, running. The charity needed to know what price to ask for the watches, and whether any should be appraised. I told her the Omega was the only one worth an appraisal, but the charity was unlikely to be able to sell it for the appraised price. I told her the knock-offs were worthless, but the charity should ask about $50.00 each for them, but to be up front that they are fakes. I gave them a standing offer for the Constellation, and if they could sell it for more, great. But they have my offer if they don’t get a decent offer from their sale.

DaveK, larryganz, OmegaRookie and 2 others like this.
  20. larryganz The cable guy Jan 10, 2020

I’d hope the charity would throw away the fakes.

DaveK likes this.