Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. iamnuts Oct 9, 2019

I work in a heavily industrialised environment, so I would never dream of wearing my speedy to work and I cant say I've ever seen any nice watches there. Ill keep an eye out next time the BIG bosses come for a visit though. However I will recount a little story.

A chap I used to work with Charlie (RIP), came into a little money, and always wanted a Rolex Sub. So he promptly went and bought one from a local AD. He handed over the cash and asked the the AD to put on an old battered oily & frayed nato strap of his current cheapy watch. He said the guy in the store looked at him like he was mad. Charlie then wore that watch daily to work until they day he died. Never damaged it at work, but did manage to rip off the bezel at home in his kitchen. Beer probably paid a small part in that happening :)

JPE.88305, kkt, MRC and 2 others like this.
  2. lillatroll Oct 9, 2019

One of my students walked into my class today wearing a Richard Mille. He has a solid gold AP and and his everyday wearer is a Hublot. Quite a few students wear Subs and one or two Seamaster divers. Another student has a 50 fathoms and quite a lot of low end Tag watches. One student has asked me to help him find a vintage watch that he can wear everyday.

cooljme and JTridesbikes like this.
  3. larryganz The cable guy Oct 9, 2019

The Good: Make an offer to buy that AT from him quickly for a song, before he realizes what he has.

4. larryganz The cable guy Oct 9, 2019

I suspect we have a fake or two in the collection, or the last name is Trump or Bloomberg.

cooljme and Pun like this.
  5. drhombus24 Oct 9, 2019

I wouldn’t be so sure. I’m a university student, and I’ve seen some nice watches around. I know someone who is a big Tudor fan. I worked in a group project with someone who had a IWC big pilot, and have worked with an international student with an AP ROO. I got to talking with him and it turns out he’s got quite the collection of APs. Passed by another student with a sub ( ok this one may be fake) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. vbrad26 Oct 9, 2019

I know a 25 year old with an AP Chrono.
    His family has the money. I've never asked but I assume it was a gift of sorts.
    I say that because they also pay for his condo on Miami beach.

7. lillatroll Oct 9, 2019

The father of the student who wears the Richard Mille, owns a football club and an oil company as well as hotels and shopping malls. Most of the kids with these watches have very rich parents. Could still be a few fakes though but I would not be surprised if they were all real.

8. JTridesbikes Oct 9, 2019

Last month, I saw a guy in his 20's or 30's with a Royal Oak too.

9. borre Oct 9, 2019

What do you teach?

10. Kmart Oct 9, 2019

The best part about this story is him being able to just walk into a local AD and buy a sub. Those days are long gone.

Nice profile picture, by the way. I approve. :thumbsup:

kkt likes this.
  11. lillatroll Oct 9, 2019

Secondary school English language and literature

12. larryganz The cable guy Oct 9, 2019

When I went to Texas A&M in the 1980’s I had the nicest watch as a senior, an Omega Memomaster digital. As a 4th year medical student I had my Grandfather’s Rolex 1500, so I guess 30 years later maybe it’s not such a stretch.

13. KeithS Oct 9, 2019

hmm, looks rather familiar...

14. JacksonPollock Oct 10, 2019

I'm in California and see a lot of Rolex and Cartier interestingly enough. I once saw a Gold Sky Dweller at a concert.

15. iamnuts Oct 10, 2019

LoL I didn't notice anyone had the same, I shall change mine later, but it will still be Calvin & Hobbes

kkt likes this.
  16. iamnuts Oct 10, 2019

We are talking well over 10 years ago, and Charlie must have been gone 5 years now.

17. bubu16 Oct 10, 2019

I was in subway here in NYC a few days ago and I noticed one guy standing by the train door- French I believe- wearing a vintage Speedy. I praised him for having a good taste on my way out and he responded "thanks and very nice vintage SM 300 as well" ;-).

Pun, queriver, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  18. MRC Oct 10, 2019

Young cashier in the supermarket spotted my half-hidden Reduced this afternoon and asked "Is that an Omega?" When I said yes and showed him the full face he said that his mother had given him a nice watch -- he was wearing a TAG Heuer. We chatted briefly and I warned him of the financial consequences of getting too keen on watches. Next time I'm wearing the (Jack Heuer) Heuer I wore at his age I'll see if I can find him again in there.

queriver and cooljme like this.
  19. Dsloan Oct 19, 2019

I did video production at a conference this week. First place I've been in a while where pretty much everyone had a watch on their wrist. I spotted a lot of stealthier items, like Brugeuts and Lange and Sohnes - it was an event focused on giving back and investing in social programs in our city, so it looks like everyone was trying to be discrete. Unfortunately, this meant that no one was that keen on chatting about their watches with me during the event.

However! The event was held at a train museum, and the staff, mostly retired RR employees, we're all rocking cool vintage pieces - Rolexes, hamiltons, etc.

queriver and MRC like this.
  20. abrod520 Oct 23, 2019

Sigma dial 6263 at the coffee truck this morning. When it rains it pours
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dsloan likes this.