Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. any4xx Jun 12, 2019

I constantly fight against the smart watch thing. But I must admit that they ARE really convenient. For the past week I’ve been wearing my Gen-0 stainless Apple wrist thingie. My job is somewhat abusive toward all items of clothing and jewelry and I find myself needing timers several times per day. I had been wearing my Explorer II to work, but I got tired of having to drag my phone out all the time. So for now, the mechanicals are locked up and only come out for weekend wear. And yeah, it sucks....

noelekal likes this.
  2. tzachi Jun 12, 2019

Beside daily Rolex (real or fake,who cares),
    I see at least one nice watch daily,

Omega, Breitling etc are common, many AP's in certain area's

JLC, Zenith and hublots are seen often

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 13, 2019

Spotted one of these in the wild the other day at work
    A Rose Gold statement if I have ever seen one.

D7473378-8CB2-4738-A864-634D2E8B0BA1.jpeg

noelekal, ConElPueblo and Foo2rama like this.
  4. whyboddau Jun 18, 2019

There was a point when I thought a Rolex BLNR was boring cuz I saw so many of them. Saw an older gent with a gold royal oak driving a jag...not a fan but I respect it.

5. AriTheWatchmaker Jun 18, 2019

Living in Boston I saw plenty of watches- I was working in the Jewelers Exchange for Paul Duggan Fine Watches, and there were plenty of Rolexes and Pateks around. Then they killed downtown Boston and most of the exchange broke up and moved away to the burbs.
    In CT at BreitlingUSA there was always filthy rich greenwich residents slumming in their vintage rolexes until concours day when the Pateks rolled out of the safe.
    Now in Minneapolis there is basically smartwatches and cheap walmart watches, with an occasional TAGHeur or Rolex, but not much else. The brands also consider it flyover country because they have limited presence and very limited advertising budgets in the Twin Cities Mpls-StPaul, MN.
    There is even a "cartel" that takes dealers trade-ins and throws them online - AAA Watches & Clocks in Wayzata was doing it. So they shipped all the used watches out of the Twin Cities so the dealers could force people into new product (that the brands shoved down their throats under threat). But I assume most people will buy their vintage watches online and find someone to service them, because the fear mongering about online buying hasnt worked out well for the brands...they sell direct online instead.
    I will keep my eyes open and get back to this thread with more details if I ever see another fine watch that doesnt belong to me or come to me in a box for repair.
    Ari

murph and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  6. Aussie Jim Jun 19, 2019

Just at the end of 3 weeks in the UK. My, my, the Brits know how to rock a watch or two.

The level of quality watch wear is way outside what I am used to. The easiest to spot are the Rolex sport of course and Subs seem to be dominant, but I have seen quality Connies, IWC, and more than a few Speedies. Well done you lot.

Then I had to do the obligatory walk through the Burlington Arcade. What an Aladdin’s Cave of delights. I have never seen so much choice. The prices out of the world, with stickers in Pounds looking like what i might hope to pay in $A ( current exchange rate about 0.52)

And a photo for fun
    A5523CBA-9D63-4B1C-BC60-719B6256BAA7.jpeg

MikeFields77, OmeGez, Jfumia and 11 others like this.
  7. pnwyankee Jun 19, 2019

8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jun 19, 2019

I saw a nice Rolex on a mother who was constructing a scale model of a college freshman’s dorm room for arrangement/decorating purposes...

DE04ED96-3A68-49CF-BAB7-D1FB3522B23D.jpeg

Syrte, STANDY, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  9. Uniqez Jun 19, 2019

Took my daughter to a park and saw this gentleman was wearing two tone Daytona. So, I'm taking a picture and my wife goes : " What are you doing? Are you going crazy with your watches?" :)

SmartSelect_20190618-094843_Gallery.jpg
    MikeFields77, queriver, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  10. auxpomme Jun 19, 2019

I spend lots of time at the LA zoo. Never see nice watches (except my own) but mainly because I'm chasing my crazy 3 year old. Zoo watch meet up??

Syrte likes this.
  11. auxpomme Jun 19, 2019

Also most likely promotional consideration was paid...

12. davten Jun 19, 2019

I saw two Rolex anniversary Kermit Subs in the lift whilst going down to the tube yesterday.
    At the same time.
    You know? The 11610lv.
    Two at once.
    Sorry, no photo. Too close not to arouse suspicion in a lift.
    Thought of this thread.
    DT

13. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jun 19, 2019

You get the prize for most unique context for watch in the wild sighting!

Mad Dog likes this.
  14. borre Jun 19, 2019

Spotted a Patek Nautilus Annual calender today :thumbsup:

Uniqez and MikiJ like this.
  15. dabbispade Jun 19, 2019

I live in Iceland so seeing a really nic like vintage Rolex or Omega in the streets is literally like spot a unicorn.
    But I travel a lot and I do see a lot of modern watches in the wild.

16. Woops Jun 21, 2019

I couldn't agree more. Burlington Arcade prices are fully insane. I have had my eye on a tropical 1675 GMT in that very window (I'm not telling you which one :cautious:) for the past FOUR years. The price has been £49,000 that entire time - no wonder it continues to sit there. As ever, one is forced to wonder; who is paying these prices?

marco likes this.
  17. Eve Jun 21, 2019

But it says 20% OFF!! :rolleyes:;)

18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 21, 2019

Just returned from spending eight days in Montreal, Quebec City, and the Saguenay region. Anticipated a fun game of spying watches in the airports along the trip. Was disappointed. Definitely identified one Rolex Explorer II with white dial being worn by a young-ish man at DFW early in the trip. Saw an unidentified chronograph at Chicago that looked promising, but couldn't positively identify it. Saw a Submariner on the wrist of a geezerly fellow like me along a street in Quebec City. That's it.

Perhaps I need to wear my reading glasses for watch spotting. Don't need 'em though for the 10 jillion "smart" watches that I had to look past.

Uniqez likes this.
  19. Uniqez Jun 21, 2019

Airport in Barcelona. It looks like an AP, but I'm not sure what model it was.

20190518_142217.jpg
    MikeFields77 and noelekal like this.
  20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 21, 2019

That's my problem with watch spotting Uniquez. It's "one of those," but which one of those is it?

Uniqez likes this.