Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. queriver May 1, 2019

Paying my bill in a cafe the owner recognised I was wearing a Tudor Black Bay and mentioned it to me. He was wearing a Pelagos. We had a good chat for a number of minutes about our watches: he’s mainly a Rolex guy, including a vintage Sea Dweller, and my Speedmasters. There was enough crossover in our knowledge to make it a very enjoyable exchange.

Syrte, ConElPueblo and larryganz like this.
  2. boraxman May 1, 2019

See nice watches everyday here in So. California

3. jimmyd13 May 1, 2019

I saw a 145.014 today ... while I was wearing a 145.014. MkII twinsies!

(Oh, and there was a nice 40s Omega 25xx? An 18ct Longines C Case. A Rolex Air King. One of those Daytona thingies ... didn't really pay attention to that one ... )

ConElPueblo and kkt like this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy May 1, 2019

I call mine a "fitness tracker" when questioned by people who see an Omega or Rolex on my left wrist and a black stealth Apple fitness tracker on the other wrist.

kkt likes this.
  5. t_swiss_t May 3, 2019

Really interesting to see -- it's an early gilt PCG case with a mid/late 1970's service dial and a service all red GMT hand. Gives credence to the red hands being acceptable as a service part throughout the 70's (but that's a whole set of arguments for a different day). I hope you didn't tell him what it would have been worth without the service dial. Great story and watch though, I wouldn't change a thing.

MMMD likes this.
  6. 5starChad May 3, 2019

I think it all depends on how often you're looking. I work in a nicer area and if I'm paying attention I see high priced watches of all brands pretty often.

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 3, 2019

We have a few salesmen at our firm. They show up wearing odd sports jackets and wearing Invictas, Diesels and Fossils... almost comic junk.

And then one shows up wearing a crisp clean all white Speedmaster...

I mean, WTF!

Where the hell did that come from.

S.H. and larryganz like this.
  8. Eve May 4, 2019

Few weeks ago i was with my family at a zoo. Bunch of people during holidays. Have spoted a couple of Rolex GMT, and a Navitimer, but those are easy to recognize at a glance.
    Havent seen any Omegas in a wild yet..

Edit: a new working colleague, came recently with a 50 year old, gold plated Seamaster Cosmic from his grandfather, that was a nice conversation starter :)
    The guy is 207cm tall, wearing 33mm watch. Fits him perfectly!! :)

Edited May 4, 2019
    ConElPueblo and KingCrouchy like this.
  9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 4, 2019

:thumbsup:He said it had been serviced in the 70's and I told him it might be a service dial.

10. 5starChad May 5, 2019

A customer came in yesterday with a 3513.50 Speedy Date. The one with the stainless bezel insert. Great looking watch. Awesome to see another Omega in the wild but seeing the size on someone else may have changed my mind on getting a Speedy Date. I was planning on picking up the black dial black bezel insert reference 3210.50 but his wore awfully small. I know the 3513 is 1mm smaller than the 3210 but that doesn't change much and it just looked off for a chrono.

11. 5starChad May 5, 2019

A woman just left my store who was wearing a lady datejust. I always get a good look when they are signing the receipt right in front of me lol. Those watches are tiny!!

12. lustrousaurus May 5, 2019

Was at the jewelry shop the other day and one customer had the new Seamaster Pro, while the salesman had a Datejust.

13. flw history nerd May 5, 2019

My wife and I were eating out at a local restaurant a couple of weeks ago. Sitting to my right at the bar was a man about ten years younger than me, wearing the new Seamaster Diver with a grey dial and steel bracelet. We struck up a conversation, and it turned out that he retired not long ago from the US Army, and spent a fair bit of his career in the same unit that my son is serving in. He said he got a good discount on the new watch after showing his old one (a 2531) to his AD, telling him that he wore it incessantly during multiple tours in the Middle East. He said that the original one took a beating, but it never quit.

Onion0909, Syrte, Eve and 2 others like this.
  14. 5starChad Jun 12, 2019

Was just cashing a customer out and noticed it. A bright yellow seconds hand. Sure enough it was the Spectre edition AT. He was new to watches and his son got it for him but we had a nice chat and I showed him my Railmaster. That AT is certainly an eye catcher!

15. speedy57 Jun 12, 2019

Saw a great 116519 at lunchtime at 5 guys burgers, but it was mine. :/

ECA60307-F9C8-4CF8-AF72-21D58B0E3849.jpeg

OWa and MMMD like this.
  16. Walrus Jun 12, 2019

It’s a bit sad on my end. I see people showing each other new functions on their smart watches. Some at work know about my watch habit and find it dumb I spend money on watches when cell phones are perfect time keepers. I tell them it’s a good reason not to have your head buried in your phone like so many of us do. When I don’t wear a watch I don’t feel right, like not wearing a belt. So in my immediate circles the watches are slim. I do travel to Boston regularly and do see a lot of nice watches walking around with people

17. comexchris Jun 12, 2019

This has been my daily for the last week, We have nothing but rain in the UK at the moment so decided to bring the sunshine with me. Daily 1.jpg

Walrus likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 12, 2019

Syrte and ConElPueblo like this.
  19. John7boy Jun 12, 2019

I was at the Chelsea Flower Show in London a few weeks ago, without doubt the highest concentration of Rolex’s (men and women) I’ve seen in one place. Seriously, I must have seen 200 plus over a late afternoon, early evening. The sad thing is I spent more time furtively checking out what people had on their wrist than looking at the beautiful gardens.......I need help

corn18 and flw like this.
  20. micampe Jun 12, 2019

I see all kinds of Rolex all the time, but just tonight I saw a gentleman wearing an A386 El Primero, with the original ladder bracelet, that he had owned since new. You don’t see these often in general and it’s nice to see one loved by a “regular guy” instead of a collector.

Syrte likes this.