Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. jrhave2 Mar 20, 2019

Just left a meeting where the guy to my right was wearing a 90's white gold Daytona, and the guy to my left was wearing and 80's Sub. All I could think of was this thread!

Foo2rama likes this.
  2. Atalien2005 Mar 20, 2019

I flew to London on Monday and the little old lady (probably in her late 60s early 70s) sitting next to me had this Rolex on. Needless to say I was highly impressed and she worn it well.
    D89F1E39-56E5-4B9A-AFBF-DAC7AD5EBE7C.jpeg

Onion0909, Syrte, Uniqez and 3 others like this.
  3. vbrad26 Mar 20, 2019

Looking at installing solar on our warehouse and the guy I met with today had a 2-tone Sub.
    Yuck...disqualified for lack of taste.

Just kidding. Still a very nice watch, but not my cup of tea.

Uniqez and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 20, 2019

Heh less of the old, i'm in that bracket apart from the lady ;)

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 23, 2019

Spotted at the basement poker table last night:
    830F4EEB-1176-4FD3-B9A2-84B3F54A5778.jpeg

My lucky charm:
    AB0A5BBE-C19D-4B3B-9438-408B2E32D72E.jpeg

kyle L, Syrte, McKinley and 8 others like this.
  6. yvrclimber Mar 23, 2019

Obviously, at meet-ups I see many, but not so much in the wild.

When I have seen a nice Rolex or a vintage Omega or something interesting, it's a rare occurrence. Maybe once a month. A little more often if I head downtown (Vancouver, Canada). Especially in hotel lobbies. Maybe the locals here don't rock watches as much (other than Apple of course).

Every once in awhile I run into someone randomly (e.g. the ski lift in Whistler) with something cool. Saw a yellow gold Rolex on the hill a few weeks ago. And a nice Speedy while hiking in the Sea-to-Sky backcountry. Who'd have guessed?

7. mz_cle Mar 23, 2019

I attended an industry conference this past week, and I had quite a good time checking the wrists of my fellow attendees between sessions and during the social functions.

I saw a number of Rolex subs, including steel with the black bezel & face and one two tone with a blue face. I saw one Breitling Navitimer and one Galactic or Chronomat. I also saw one Seamaster 50th GMT, and I caught a 2254 with the sword hands on another attendee.

The icing on the cake was that at the opening evening "soiree" a dinner tablemate wore a Rolex Sea Dweller.

yvrclimber likes this.
  8. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 23, 2019

During my annual retina exam on Thursday I spotted that my ophthalmologist was wearing a Tudor (not sure which model). It didn’t get me any extra points on the eye exam though!

mz_cle likes this.
  9. queriver Mar 23, 2019

Collins Street is the street you'd be likely to find one, many exclusive shops along there including Omega and Rolex.
    collins st - Copy.png

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 23, 2019

Got chatting and it’s a X33 with his squadron engraved on the case back.
    Lieutenant Colonel by the way ::facepalm2::

20 of them got one 10 years ago from the Omega program that does case backs for free if they order 20

omegaswisst and MMMD like this.
  11. somme1js Mar 24, 2019

I never see anything in the wild except a Tag here and there. I wish I knew some people in real life who shared the hobby!

12. Yukatan Mar 25, 2019

Rolexes periodically, a Speedmaster reduced every once in awhile

13. rob#1 Mar 25, 2019

Was chatting to a colleague the other day and noticed she was wearing a nice 70s vintage automatic Seamaster - turns out her husband got a new Seamaster as a wedding gift so gave his vintage model to his new wife. Nice touch, and looks cool on her wrist

14. rmarks Mar 25, 2019

I work in the tourism industry in Dubai and nearly every hotel sales manager is rocking a Submariner. Otherwise, Dubai is pretty wild for spotting watches-- lots of Panerai, AP, Rolex, and Hublot. I'd probably be more impressed if I knew what I was looking at a bit better.

15. MRC Mar 25, 2019

So lion-taming is not a suitable career for someone with a taste for expensive watches?

16. robinhook Mar 25, 2019

Well, not that I see nice watches all the time but I do see Rolex occasionally, and I got to know one of my best friends by commenting his Breitling Navitimer while wearing my Speedy.

17. mrs_LA Mar 27, 2019

It's always fun when this happens. My husband and I often strike a short conversation with strangers while in line at the grocery store in our neighborhood. Usually, we see a Rolex on the wrist. The latest one was in our neighborhood French bakery, where we spotted a Sunday golfer wearing a 5-digit Submariner. My husband and I were wearing our Tudor Submariners, and it made a nice, short encounter at the bakery.

gostang9 likes this.
  18. rkman11 Mar 28, 2019

One of the things I love about living in LA is the watches I get to spot on the regular. And I’m full on shameless - I’ll talk to any stranger if they’re wearing a watch that catches my eye. From the young mother at the farmer’s market wearing a vintage Rolex oyster, to the hipster bartender wearing a Casio A168. My watch madness does not discriminate!

janice&fred and Onion0909 like this.
  19. Au79 Aluminium Mar 28, 2019

Agreed.
    I work in DTLA and live in OC and I do see someone sporting a Rolex quite often. Actually, I think I see more Rolex than Omega or any other brand for that matter, especially in OC.

20. mrs_LA Mar 28, 2019

Unfortunately, precisely because we live in LA, I feel that the occurrence of seeing somebody sporting a fashion watch is really, really high too! This goes to many of my ladies out there. Michael Kors, Coach... oh my, the list goes on. I do find respectable ones like the Cartier Tank, but still quite rare. Few instances I have come across an older lady with a Patek at the groceries and farmer's market, but too much of the fashion watches!