Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. any4xx Jul 21, 2018

Easy. I was walking right after surgery. Certainly some pain to deal with. I kind of stacked my issues, as I had a pretty extensive right shoulder surgery three weeks before this left hip replacement. It’s been four days since the surgery and I mowed my lawn today. I don’t expect to be back to 100% for several more weeks, but I’ve been walking with intense pain for too many years. It feels great to have surgery-pain, but no more joint pain.

Pun and noelekal like this.
  2. ninjamattic Jul 21, 2018

3. larryganz The cable guy Jul 22, 2018

No, but "pilfer his Rolex" is one.

4. astrand Jul 22, 2018

In Stockholm I've seen a speedmaster every day it seems.

5. ext1 Jul 22, 2018

Vintage?? If then I need to move there...tonight :D

astrand likes this.
  6. astrand Jul 22, 2018

No most look very fresh. I've only seen one with tritium and an older bracelet. Didn't have time to figure out how vintage it was.

I also see a shit ton of 2254 seamasters and submariners. Stockholm has too much money.

Edited Jul 22, 2018
    Pun and ext1 like this.
  7. ninjamattic Jul 27, 2018

Sitting here doing some watch spotting at the outlets on lunch. Seiko, Nixon, G-Shock, fashion watch, fashion watch, Apple Watch... nothing interesting.

8. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 27, 2018

Was in the town of Broadway in the Cotswolds drinking afternoon tea when an elderly gentleman walked in with his family, he wore a Submariner 16610LV. What a lovely watch in the flesh.

I didn’t strike up a conversation as he was busy and I had enough to do keeping my own girls of 2 and 4 quiet :)

Pun and gostang9 like this.
  9. ninjamattic Jul 27, 2018

Just bought some lighter fluid from a watch repair kiosk, and the guy was wearing a nice Tag. He spotted my blue speedy and was like “wow man... nice watch. Expensive!” Tried to get him to show me his Tag, but he wasn’t interested.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 29, 2018

Sitting kitty-corner from a guy at a small dinner-party last night I kept seeing something interesting big and chunky making brief partial appearances from under his cuff. Finally towards the end of the evening I get a good look, fuck me, its a Zenith El Primero Big Blue. He happily hands it across the table for me to examine, glad someone actually recognized it. He had just gotten it back from a factory service. Suddenly the SM 300 I was wearing seemed quite puny.

Kmart, EatMan, Pun and 6 others like this.
  11. ninjamattic Jul 31, 2018

Just saw a speedy on a plane. Refreshing!

12. Fialetti Jul 31, 2018

I was working in a library yesterday, when I noticed someone behind me was carefully photographing a watch. We got talking and it turned out to be a very nice early '80s Submariner.

So, not just a watch in the wild, but a fellow WIS in the wild too.

gostang9 and Pun like this.
  13. Pythonos41 Jul 31, 2018

Oddly enough, most of the nice watches I spot are at my gym. Ive seen a Rolex Yachtmaster II, Rolex Sub 14060, and an AP ROO in rose gold.

14. Steve Essex Jul 31, 2018

Every time I look at my wrist when I’m out. :whistling: :D

Pun likes this.
  15. JanV Jul 31, 2018

Sitting at a cool retro pizza place in Amsterdam last friday a waiter came by and asked if my Omega Flightmaster was a MK I, II or III... He was also bitten by the vintage bug. :)

Pun, MaiLollo and Pythonos41 like this.
  16. many Jul 31, 2018

I see a lot of SubCs in NYC. As far as Omega goes I've seen a handful of SMP, Speedys, and ATs.

17. levkov Aug 1, 2018

Loving this topic, I caught myself spending hours reading through the entire thread :)

I live in Berkshire, UK, but despite being called "The Royal borough", I haven’t seen a lot of fine, let alone fine & vintage watches out in the wild. Have to admit though, I don’t go out a lot these days.
    Like the others mentioned, there are heaps of Apple watches, and the occasional usual modern Rolexes and Tags.
    Most of the time I’m limited to staring at other people’s wrists at work, in the lift, with a variable success rate. A few worth mentioning are the CEO’s: the former wearing a Tag Carrera Calibre 36 (not bad!), but later replaced with a black Rado square ceramic (whaaat?). The current CEO started off with a modern Daytona, but later spotted wearing a Tag smartwatch. Come on, you’re on top of the food chain at a Billion dollar company, surely you can do better than that..
    One interesting spotting might have been the Finance director wearing a Lange – potentially, I’ve only seen it for a split second, and from a distance. I’ll find out about that later, though.
    There’s a half-watch nut colleague, who owns 3 modern Tags: a McQueen Monaco, an SLR, and a black DLC coated Monaco. All lovely pieces. We had brief a chat,
    but he’s admitted that’s as far as he goes, not really into vintage stuff.

What I’ve learnt though, is that you can’t really judge by the looks, clothing, etc.
    Sometimes it’s the gentleman in high fabrics who wears a blatant fake Rolex, and the poor looking guy who have a fingerlicking vintage piece peeping out from under the cuff.

Rewind 13 years, a 25YO eastern block boy arrives to the UK, with a poor english, he first works as a dustman (grabbing & throwing rubbish bags in the back of the dust lorries). However, on his wrist, there’s a ’65 Rolex Oysterdate.

Yep, that’d be me. Fast forward 13 years, today (not a dustman anymore, but in a job fully utilizing my degree in economics), still nearly a dozen of my watches, each, are worth more than the car I’m driving :)

If I was to match my clothing with my watches, I’d probably be running around in Brioni suits all day long, driving S-class (or rather a Volvo P1800).

It’s all about passion. If you do love watches, you’ll find a way to owning them, and have priorities reflecting that.

I do appreciate a modern Rolex, but sadly most people wear them for the wrong reason.

I just remembered what as a teenager I read in a book on etiquette about watches: "The adequate way for a gentleman to wear an expensive Rolex watch, is as if he wasn’t aware of the value strapped on his wrist".
    Gone a bit off topic now.
    By the way, the only time I got a compliment on my vintage Rolex (or any other watch) out in the wild, was at a tube station in Richmond, London, at the ticket office. An elderly gentleman at the till said to me "You’ve got a nice watch there. It’s delightful to see a fine vintage piece on a young man’s wrist" he smiled. Unfortunately the queue behind me didn’t let us get into a deeper conversation, but I’ll always remember this.

Dr_P, Rman, queriver and 5 others like this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 1, 2018

19. 1010Watches Aug 1, 2018

Im a student from the US but this summer I've been in the UK (Windsor). I went from never seeing anything more than a apple watch here and there in the states (Ohio) to going to the golf club and running into a couple wearing a rose gold Daytona and a rm-035. it really does depend. All I have to say, is the people around here have too much money and they don't know what to do with it

Dan S, watchos and levkov like this.
  20. spin_transistor Aug 1, 2018

Saw a breitling emergency on the L today. Interesting choice for a city professional!!

zinengineer likes this.