Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. FreelanceWriter Jul 6, 2018

The other day, my wife and I were checking out of a hotel in midtown and I was discretely staring at the huge interesting-looking watch on the hotel clerk while his head was down working the computer and wondering what it was. It was a very thick chronograph with large (maybe 1/4" long) rectangular pushers that had red lines etched in them on the pushing surface. I didn't want to ask in case it was just a cheap designer watch and because that would have obviously drawn his attention right to what I was wearing, which would have made me feel like a total douche for asking about his watch. When he handed over my paperwork, he said "Is that a Speedmaster?" I said yes and asked if he was a watch guy (but still didn't want to ask what he was wearing). He responded "Nice. No, my friend is, but that's the only watch I ever notice."

I think that's only the second time in the 10 years I've worn a Speedy that anybody has ever noticed it, because it sort of flies under the radar of everyone except us idiots, which is something I like about it, unlike Rolexes and similar watches that seem to scream "Hey! Look at this expensive watch I'm wearing!" (No offense intended to you Rolex guys.) The funny part is that when I answered "yes," my wife reflexively said yes at the same time. On the way to the car, she said "I think that's the first time anybody ever noticed your watch." (She wasn't with me the other time.) I've explained to her that I wear it in public much more than the Flightmaster for precisely that reason. Then, she said "Truthfully, I still don't know that I'd even recognize a Speedmaster on anybody."

Pun likes this.
  2. gostang9 Jul 7, 2018

As has been said many times, it’s common to see ‘nice’ watches when traveling. Airports, hotels, lounges and business meetings all have plenty to see.

Even saw this nice hunk in the Fast-Track security line today... (dude looked serious, I was not brave enough to offer a ‘nice Invicta’ remark...). :D

A6792FE5-6595-4BBA-B0F3-4F3011D29A72.jpeg

Spruce likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 7, 2018

So you took a covert James Bond like spy photo......:whistling:

::stirthepot::

gostang9 likes this.
  4. gostang9 Jul 7, 2018

O S I did...
    ;)

Edit: on some level I felt I was risking life and limb! What I do for OF...

Pun, Spruce and sevenhelmet like this.
  5. FreelanceWriter Jul 7, 2018

You should have just tapped him on his arm and said "That's a nice Invicta you got there, but it seems a little too big for your wrist size:D

amiriqbal and gostang9 like this.
  6. Elitr6 Jul 12, 2018

Big event at the French embassy in London today. Modern rolexes being flashed all over the shop, I'm really not a fan of the bling.

But one guy saved the day : a 1967 navitimer with LIP dial. Glad I asked him about his watch, it's an absolute beauty.

noelekal and kkt like this.
  7. Screwbacks Jul 15, 2018

damn. i couldnt steal a good wrist shot from this guy. he must be hiding a grandseiko, speedy, or a pp. or just busy checking digital time from his 4 celfons.

IMG_20180715_142720.jpg

DWash likes this.
  8. Cadillac Jul 15, 2018

Subs and DJ’s mostly, an occasional Breitling here and there. It’s a rare day when I come across another Omega.

9. ninjamattic Jul 16, 2018

Meh, here in the Bay Area it's almost entirely Apple Watch and fitbit. I occasionally run into a Submariner or a Tag. I haven't run into an Omega that I can remember at all. I've got an eye out though... I joined the "ditch the smartwatch" revolution this year.

10. rfordo Jul 16, 2018

I had never seen a nice vintage watch on a random wrist until last weekend.

Went to a radio personality's garage sale here in Chicago. The guy was older and so was the crowd, by older I mean grey hair (50s-70s). If you fit that description no offense!

Anyways, on my way out of the event, I caught a quick glimpse of what appeared to be a double red sea dweller on the wrist of an older gentleman. It will always bother me that I did not turn around and strike up a conversation.

Advice to others, if you see something, say something. Else it will bug you and lead to uneventful forum posts.

Pun, queriver, amiriqbal and 4 others like this.
  11. any4xx Jul 18, 2018

I’m in the hospital after having a total hip replacement a couple of days ago. Today I noticed my physical therapist was wearing a 36mm two-tone DateJust on a jubilee. I felt so inadequate, as my watch-wrist is only covered in ID bracelets and IV lines.

noelekal, Syrte, queriver and 3 others like this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 18, 2018

Sorry to hear about hospital - and wishing you a prompt recovery.

My first serious watch encounter in the wild took place as I had brunch with a friend I had not seen in a long time, and her boyfriend. I noticed what seemed across the table like a Patek Philippe but I did not feel comfortable asking. However it seemed to me at one point he glanced at a my vintage Tissot. So I ended up mentioning among other updates that I had grown interested in vintage watches. His face lit up and he said he had noticed my watch. His indeed was a Patek Philippe (a beautiful modern white gold calatrava with applied markers). The kicker was when he told me I was one of only three women who had ever identified his watch -- and the other two were Russian hookers !!! I must say we all burst out laughing.

Edited Jul 18, 2018
    Dr_P, Kmart, Bienne2998 and 15 others like this.
  13. agee Jul 18, 2018

Unfortunately no pictures-I had no phone with me, but
    while sitting at the pool in Naples, FL talking to my NY friends last March I spotted a man wearing
    a vintage Rolex sub. I commented what a nice watch it was so he hastily + casually took it off his wrist and tossed it to me-I was very careful to catch it without letting it hit the ground
    Said he bought it new in 1967 and has never not worn it. Says he wears it daily to the beach, pool, and while banging nails and painting
    Would never think twice about not wearing it. Said his wife has a matching one at home and he gave his son a gold Rolex in the 1980's
    Amazing

Kmart, sjg22, Pun and 6 others like this.
  14. FreelanceWriter Jul 18, 2018

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm preparing to have mine Burmingham-resurfaced next month. What's been your experience with THR so far? (Easier and better than expected or harder and worse than expected, etc.?)

15. ext1 Jul 18, 2018

A few days ago in the Korean subway in Seoul I saw a guy in front of me with the Apollo 8 LE yellow speedy. I was really surprised (people actually buy this thing?! ;)) and since the guy was just on his phone I could get a long enough look to confirm that it was indeed what I thought it was. But I have yet to see a vintage Rolex/speedy in the wild. I do see tons of DJs and Heuers (Carreras) though.

16. amiriqbal Jul 18, 2018

Saw this on the wrist of a chap sitting next to me in our local Indian restaurant. Snapped some stealth pics. Looks like a Rolex GMT of some description??

Was going to talk to him when we were leaving but my wife was mortified at me approaching him so I left without saying anything.....
    20180718_193840.jpg

20180718_193839.jpg 20180718_193838.jpg 20180718_193837.jpg 20180718_193836.jpg
  17. abrod520 Jul 18, 2018

I think you mean TAGs, not Heuers. If you’re seeing tons of vintage Heuer Carreras around, I am moving to wherever that is, tonight

MRC, Kmart, Pun and 4 others like this.
  18. ext1 Jul 18, 2018

That gave me a good laugh. Yes, TAGs! Not Heuers. Sorry about that:whipped:

Cadillac, DWash and amiriqbal like this.
  19. lillatroll Jul 19, 2018

I went on a day trip to Chernobyl on Tuesday. At lunch we were seated next to a couple from Edmonton Canada who were both wearing Rolex datejusts. I mentioned to him that one of my recent watch purchases I bought was from a Canadian and it was a vintage Rolex. I told him I collect watches and showed him my speedy. He had never heard of Omega and did not mention he was wearing a Rolex. I wondered wether it was a fake and he did not want to show me. The other option is he thought I might try to pilfer his Rolex :D

20. Draven Jul 19, 2018

Not a euphemism right?:D:D