Forums Latest Members
  1. Speede Mar 17, 2021

I have a 4 watch Omega collection, (I also have 2 other brand watches) I Always seem to gravitate to the same watches so why keep the rest?
    So how many is too many?
    It’s probably an individual thing but my thoughts would be 4 (In my case 2x omega & 2x other brand) so with that in mind I guess I have to look at what stays and what goes.
    My XXL railmaster has sentimental value so that stays.
    My speedy sapphire sandwich is worn the most so I guess that stays.
    That leaves me to part with the seamaster 300 GMT “great white” and my unworn speedy Tin Tin.

Thoughts?
    What would you keep and part with from these 4 Omega’s?
    TIA for any advise.

maskwp likes this.
  2. Mauzer Mar 17, 2021

3. MRC Mar 17, 2021

N + 2 is "too many"

N + 1 is "just right"

N + 3 is "greedy"

N + N is "my lawyer will be contacting you about our divorce"

Lurk41, Duracuir1, JynxTime and 15 others like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Mar 17, 2021

I have been trying to prune lately (it’s a very slow and painful process). My watch drawers hold 70, I am well past that. I keep thinking if I can keep it at 70...but having already pruned the low-lying fruit (ones I just don’t wear for one reason or another), it’s getting into some tough decisions. Yes, there are some I don’t wear often, but they are awesome and I roll them in when appropriate. It’s not a value thing- I have already traded/sold off a few of my more valuable ones as they weren’t worn at all. Some of the hardest are some of my least valuable- I love them, only worth a few bucks, so why bother getting rid of them since they are cool.

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 17, 2021

The Tintin is a great daily wearer, but since yours is still unworn, and the prices seem to be astronomical, it may make financial sense to sell it.

and use the proceeds to buy some more watches; you should be able to pick up 3-4 with the proceeds. :cool:

JohnWoo, lando, sonicosa and 3 others like this.
  6. Marsimaxam Mar 17, 2021

All depends who you ask; if you ask a devout collector, the answer might be... never enough, if you ask the devout collector's wife, the answer might be one is plenty.

Regardless of what you collect, books, art, pens, sunglasses, coins, t-shirts, sneakers, record albums, etc... the major factor which determines the size of any collection is disposable funds. I have known of watch collectors that have over 500 pieces in their collection, no way they are wearing them all.

Scooterino36, Speede and Larry S like this.
  7. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 17, 2021

I definitely can't give @Speede any specific advice for those watches mentioned, but for me my guiding rule is: If it hasn't pulled some kind of weight in my life, I have to let it go.

So with watches that might mean there's one that I still like, but just don't love. I sold my Lange recently because while I absolutely adored it, it saw exactly 2 hours of wrist time in the 4 years I owned it, and it otherwise sat in its box as "my precious". It didn't pull any weight in my life, and when I started to see there were other things I could easily pick up by liquidating it, away it went, and I'm 100% fine with it. I still love Lange (my true grail brand, TBH) but I learned I'm not really "that guy" who can wear one regularly. I'm a tool watch guy, sitting here in a sweat shirt and cargo shorts.

Everything watch related for me is pure emotion: like/love/lust/disgust -- calculations about markets, future values, etc., that's so not me at all. I buy what I love, or buy sometimes just to shut my damn brain up about a particular obsession. The Lange was unique in that it really was going to be a regularly rotated watch, but I honestly feared wearing it, feared damaging "my precious", so it began to be this big ticket item sitting quietly for someone else to enjoy and use. It owned me, instead of the other way around. And it was an easy cull.

Real watch collectors (which I am not) have vastly different criteria, for sure, but for me the above works.

Who was the woman who wrote the book about tidying up, and asking yourself if something brings you joy or not? If something is bringing me joy, then that's often enough weight being pulled IMO, but otherwise it's just capital tied up that might be better allocated for something else.

TigerMike, kylepchiang, Kmart and 7 others like this.
  8. Speede Mar 17, 2021

I like it, wow, 70! I agree it’s not all about money value but value to you and how you value it. But 70... amazing but I would lose count. Lol

9. Speede Mar 17, 2021

That’s also my thought, I don’t like having a watch and not wearing it and that’s exactly what I’ve done with the tin tin.. unworn and unsized bracelet so it doesn’t go on even if I wanted it to. Maybe I should keep it and wear it... I like how you advise sell it and get 3 or 4 more and I’m trying to cut back. Haha. That’s what will end up happening.lol

10. Speede Mar 17, 2021

Thanks for the advise, I kinda relate on a much smaller scale with the tin tin, as it’s unworn I don’t want to put a mark on it but then I’m not enjoying it! I’m tempted to do similar and sell it, free up cash and wear and enjoy the watches I have.

marcn likes this.
  11. Scooterino36 Mar 17, 2021

I’ve landed on a current 4-watch collection, which is a good number to keep the rotation fresh for my personal taste. From here I don’t have an end goal in mind, but just being more judicious on what to add in the future.

C9F0C609-51CF-498A-8495-43492535E346.jpeg
    TAT2, Nobel Prize, fendushi and 9 others like this.
  12. sonicosa Mar 17, 2021

26 - then each watch has the opportunity for two weeks of wrist time each year.

Edit: To address OP's question, I don't think 27 is too many, but I think 26 could be just right for the reason I offer above.

JetLinks and Speede like this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 17, 2021

It varies with time, you just need to stock take at times and figure out how many watches you are hoarding in storage without actually wearing or having any desire to wear in the next year then figure out if you have some grail you want and consider consolidating. I go through cycles like that and am at a low point in my count at the moment, I think it won’t be until next year that I buy another and the last i bought was 2019.

lando and Scooterino36 like this.
  14. Mainspring13 Mar 17, 2021

no such thing as too many watches!!! j/k :D maybe... ::bleh::

I currently have about 25 pieces in my collection. kinda getting hard to pick which one to wear everyday... first world problems I know... but it's getting to be pain in the rear. I need to pair down. maybe 10 watch collection would be satisfactory.

15. NGO1 Mar 17, 2021

pics man!!! You can’t just say stuff like this and no pic. This is the internet, we fact checked every line.
    Also, approx what time do you leave for work?

Edited Mar 17, 2021
    Kmart, JohnWoo, MRC and 2 others like this.
  16. OmegaFan503 Mar 17, 2021

Until your significant other start to complain :p

aangelsalazarr, JohnWoo and Om3ga321 like this.
  17. gbesq Mar 17, 2021

I don’t understand the question. ??? :thumbsdown:

18. Speede Mar 17, 2021

Nice, and a variety of straps.

Thommas likes this.
  19. amiga500 Mar 17, 2021

10 is the magic number for me but I have no limit on how many I can buy so long as others are moved on and the number doesn't exceed 10. Think I bought 25 watches last year but only 2 of them made it into the permanent collection, the rest were tried and enjoyed but ultimately moved on

20. sxl2004 Mar 17, 2021

A few watch boxes full I would assume.
    I am wfh and changing watches 2-4 times per day depending on mood. Awesome.
    I would get bored with 4 :D

Thommas likes this.