Forums Latest Members
  1. DNX Jul 20, 2020

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were in terms of the size of a collection - i like my collection big enough to have a bit of variety and a watch for different purposes, e.g. work, play, swim, dress etc...but not too many that they don't get worn so enough to cover different scenarios...

So what do people think in terms of how many is a useful collection and what are your 'activities' per watch...

2. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jul 20, 2020

Most OF members don't know what "too many" means.

SpikiSpikester, Syrte, RonJ and 19 others like this.
  3. Engee Jul 20, 2020

The answer to the question, How many watches does a person need is: n+1 where n = the number you already have. Goes for bikes as well.

RCAFBuster, Kmart, Dsloan and 7 others like this.
  4. Dan S Jul 20, 2020

I can remember thinking the way the OP does, but at some point I realized that collectors don't justify owning each watch by a particular use. They buy watches because they want to add them to their collection. There is no particular number.

WatchCor, 64Wing, wristpirate and 2 others like this.
  5. zrleopold Jul 20, 2020

n + 1

Mauzer and Lonestar like this.
  6. Canuck Jul 20, 2020

The only one at my house that thinks my collection is too large (pocket and wrist) is my better half. And she with at least a dozen watches.

Larry S and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 20, 2020

8. Woops Jul 20, 2020

The most elegant answer I have heard to the OP's question is "six".

Buy a nice watch box that holds half a dozen watches only. One in means one out. Upgrade or replace as circumstances and finances allow. Wear each piece on a daily rotation. Take Sundays off totally to ensure wearing a watch again makes Monday just a tiny bit better.

All total bollocks, obviously :)

Emeister, Mauzer, Stripey and 6 others like this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 20, 2020

Right. You left out the part about buying a new box once the 6 spaces are occupied (a 12-space box). :D

Syrte, WatchCor, Spruce and 1 other person like this.
  10. Heisen0erg Jul 20, 2020

You need as many watches WITH their respective boxes as the desk can afford in terms of space. That way you will feel like you're in a boutique.

11. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 20, 2020

Just label yourself a watch hoarder instead of a collector, then you don’t have to justify having a collection. Instead you have to justify if you are not hoarding.

See what I did there? I turned the argument around and saved this thread :D:D

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 20, 2020

Mrs S says one is her ideal. Preferably a Timex or Skaagan.

13. gbesq Jul 20, 2020

X where x represents the number that I can successfully hide from my better half. Seriously, at a minimum I would say at least these four: chronograph, diver, GMT and dress watch, plus a variety of straps and bracelets.

14. sonicosa Jul 20, 2020

I am trying to limit myself to 21. I have three cases that hold 6 watches and a roll that holds another 3, and I’m planning to institute a 1 in 1 out policy. We’ll see how it goes, I guess. (There are also a few watches sitting on my desk that I either need to sell or make room for in one of my cases to get down to 21, so maybe not off to a great start?)

I recall seeing a perspective shared on here at some point along the lines of “You never regret selling a watch that you don’t sell.” There are some watches I feel confident I’m ready to move on, but if I feel hesitant, I tend to hang onto a watch and see how I feel in a month or two - as long as there isn’t an immediate need for the funds.

15. pongster Jul 20, 2020

2 is too many. One only has 1 wrist anyway.

16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 20, 2020

I like the "1 in 1 out" concept.

6-slot watchbox is full? Then out goes the 6-slot and in comes the 12-slot. Later out goes the 12-slot and in comes the 24-slot.

Seems sound.

warrydog, Emeister, Mauzer and 3 others like this.
  17. arturo7 Jul 20, 2020

That is beautiful.

The WAD is real!

(watch acquisition disorder)

18. Snooz Jul 20, 2020

One of the best pieces of advice I've heard is, appreciate what you've got, what you may take for granted is someone else's dream...this can really help appreciating the watches you have, rather than always lusting after the next one I think....

Mauzer likes this.
  19. pdxleaf ... Jul 20, 2020

At least with cars you are limited by where you can put them.

You asked about a useful collection. That's a great theme for a collection but not mine. I think you hit on an important element for determining the size of any collection. Does the new acquisition have a place in your theme?

If you feel like you have a watch for every event in your life perhaps you need another theme.

20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 20, 2020

As I've mentioned previously, the number isn't the important thing. When you discover watches that you forgot that you owned, then you've crossed the line. :D