How Did You Purchase Your Current Watches?

Posts
10,073
Likes
57,388
Here's mine:

OF members: 38%
Dealer: 39%
eBay: 23%
:
Edited:
 
Posts
2,997
Likes
4,752
NAWCC mart before 2003 40%
ebay 55%
goodwill 5%

These are just ballpark guesses. There may be 0.01% from estate sales and flea markets. Then there are the watches found on the sidewalk ...

I also noticed in the last two months I have purchaced 0 eBay watches.

I am spending more time with Claude and Google Search and Gemini. Mostly related to my photography interest. I collect vintage Kodak scanners, and Claude is helping to re-write the driver interface to work with modern computers.
 
Posts
10,073
Likes
57,388
NAWCC mart before 2003 40%
ebay 55%
goodwill 5%

These are just ballpark guesses. There may be 0.01% from estate sales and flea markets. Then there are the watches found on the sidewalk ...

I also noticed in the last two months I have purchaced 0 eBay watches.

I am spending more time with Claude and Google Search and Gemini. Mostly related to my photography interest. I collect vintage Kodak scanners, and Claude is helping to re-write the driver interface to work with modern computers.
It's interesting that you are buying fewer eBay watches. Same as me. I'm finding it harder to get good eBay vintage watches that are genuine and reasonably priced.
 
Posts
30,199
Likes
77,962
21.5% - OF
21.5% - other forums
36% - dealer of some kind
7% - private sale
14% - inherited
 
Posts
7,090
Likes
56,950
There is no way to assign a meaningful percentage figure to sources for wayward watches in the Home For Wayward Watches.

These I can state as certain.

Kind fellow Forum members: 3
New retail purchases: 4
Gifts: 4
Inherited: 3
Vacation finds: 2
Vintage watch shop: 1
Vintage junk shops: 2
Pawn shops: several
Antique shops: several
Gun shows: quite a few
Ebay: many

Ebay has been been "slim pickin's" in recent years, way down from when I became a member in 1998. The Ebay era for quality vintage for "real deals" is long past.
 
Posts
6,482
Likes
22,020
[I don't have percentages. Also downsizing after turning 70, so current purchases are few.]

Several watches were purchased (and traded) with OF members, but mostly through private messages as opposed to through a FS post.

Several watches through my local independent dealer. They contact me when they get something they know I'd like. I also check with them first if I have an eye on something, like my current daily 3rd gen Planet Ocean. I discovered this reference on OF and my local had a nice full set.

Couple watches through Chrono24 after searching watchpatrol.net to get a handle on prices and making offers.

Couple watches through ebay, but after seeing them listed by Ash in the OF threads on good deals currently on ebay. Early on I bought a few off ebay but not anymore.

I bought one watch from Archer Watches on the web, who has since gone out of business.

My very first nice watch was a Speedmaster 1861 hesalite that I bought new from the military AAFES. Unfortunately, Omega put the squeeze on them and no more big discounts. (They still offer a basic 5% discount on the few watches they carry, if you're ex-military and looking.)

Disclaimer: your results may vary.
 
Posts
15,951
Likes
47,911
About 50% of what I have, I have found through “networking”. Another 10% or so I have bought from someone who declined my repair quote. Inherited maybe 5%. Have been given most of the rest. Bought one last Saturday at a model train show from a guy whe knew we’d be there, so he brought the watch. An Accutron. Never from eBay, Omega forum, antique dealers, other on line sources.
 
Posts
2,396
Likes
11,343
Of my 7 omegas and one tudor, 4 from ebay guaranteed sellers and verified real by omega, 3 3861s from OB new, and the black bay chrono new on c24.
 
Posts
10,073
Likes
57,388
There is no way to assign a meaningful percentage figure to sources for wayward watches in the Home For Wayward Watches.

These I can state as certain.

Kind fellow Forum members: 3
New retail purchases: 4
Gifts: 4
Inherited: 3
Vacation finds: 2
Vintage watch shop: 1
Vintage junk shops: 2
Pawn shops: several
Antique shops: several
Gun shows: quite a few
Ebay: many

Ebay has been been "slim pickin's" in recent years, way down from when I became a member in 1998. The Ebay era for quality vintage for "real deals" is long past.
It's certainly true that the era eBay for quality "real deals" vintage watches is long past, but I still find some really good watches from eBay. The difference now is that I have to look through 500 or more listings before I'm even interested.
 
Posts
9,259
Likes
77,159
Thanks @gbesq for a really interesting thread.

I’ve spent some little time mentally processing my current collection but, like @noelekal and others, can’t categorise my collection in percentages.

That said, I currently have about 4 current watches bought from members, one bit of fun (a £50 redial Seiko) brought on Etsy (which I wouldn’t recommend) two from an authorised dealer, about 4 from Chrono24 and the vast majority from eBay.

Again, following on from @noelekal, eBay isn’t what it once was but, with experience including reading posts on OF, I’ve become far more canny about bidding and buying on eBay but, despite inflation, most if not all of my collection cost, per watch, well under £1000.
 
Posts
9,259
Likes
77,159
Perhaps I could also shout out to various OF members who’ve helped me with advice and to source and acquire parts and bracelets.
 
Posts
3,436
Likes
9,118
Three from an AD
Three from watch forum
Two from eBay
One was a gift
 
Posts
7,090
Likes
56,950
Here's mine:

OF members: 38%
Dealer: 39%
eBay: 23%
:
Considering the regard I have for your vintage Omegas, perhaps I should pay more attention to Forum sales here.
 
Posts
266
Likes
2,947
Of the three current nice watches I have, I got:

RG (capped) 168.004 from @MtV

My Tudor BB54 from an AD

My Birthyear Speedy from @Aludic

But within my family I also found new homes for watches from fellow OF members.


What a great place this is!
 
Posts
1,463
Likes
6,728
A great thread!

Gifts 19%
Inherited 12%
Online 6%
AD 38%
OF 25%