Forums Latest Members

Holy Crap - I want one of these!

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2020

If I win the lottery that is.

Best watched in full screen.

CaptainWinsor, marco, alam and 2 others like this.
  2. TDBK Apr 5, 2020

Impressive! And while it's a nice bit of coin—you can get a pretty decent car for the price—it wasn't as much as I expected: Omega sells some steel-on-leather watches for more (although not many).

3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 5, 2020

Certified explosion proof guarantee? Let us hope so.::stirthepot::

4. KeithS Apr 5, 2020

Wouldn’t the spinning damage the delicate components of a watch movement?

5. Ninja2789 Apr 5, 2020

They had me at “Certified EXPLOSION PROOF GUARANTEED”.

CaptainWinsor likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2020

No - most automated cleaning machines spin the parts baskets both during the cleaning cycle, and in between solutions to spin off the excess, then again during the drying cycle.

It's a cool machine, but not cheap and I've not yet seen anything published that shows it cleans better than a traditional automated machine. My machine uses simple limit switches, mechanical timers, etc so I know it can be repaired easily when the time comes...this one, not so much.

Tony C. likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2020

Interested in your machine Al. What are you using?

Also, what brand fluids do you use? Any preferences?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2020

RM90. I use L&R solutions, so I use Extra Fine watch cleaner, and #3 Rinse for the rinse jars.

When I went for training at Omega, they used Zenith solutions, and I did try them, but the rinse would never dry properly, and I didn't find them as effective as the L&R solutions.

JimInOz likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 5, 2020

I ain't no watchmaker, but this rings very true, and is precisely why the "newest" car that I have owned is my current 2010 Audi A3. Of course cars were much simpler well before 2010, and easier for owners to repair themselves, but today's over-engineered and computerized cars are, in this context, ridiculous.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 7, 2020

True. I find the Zenith Drizebrite (?) tends to leave spots on the jewels, so I've changed my procedure to include a fourth rinse in ethanol and it's much better after drying.

I've got a consignment of L&R Ultrasonic Cleaner and Rinse on the way so It'll be interesting to see the difference.

There were a couple of articles on the RM90 on the web, and I even found on for sale on eBay (in the US :mad:).
    It may be superseded now, but when you compare it to the HUGE Elmasolvex, I saw a video of Swiss Time Services using one of their THREE units, they're the size of a beer keg!

I think the RM90 is a better unit, especially for the reasons you mentioned.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2020

I'm sure the new Elma unit is a fine machine, but if I'm going to invest in my shop, this would not be my first choice.

If I was going to upgrade my machine, I would probably opt for the ACS 900:

http://greinervibrograf.com/?pageID=41&lng=en

But if I really had my way, I would find some of the machines I used in school - Tempo 400's.

Not the best video - just one I found. What I like about this machine is the smaller amount of solutions in each jar compared to others machines. It means you can change solutions more often without being as wasteful. They can be found, but often not in working condition...