Forums Latest Members
  1. wristpirate Nov 14, 2019

2. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Nov 14, 2019

Logical next step for Hodinkee.

I do wonder whether that sixth year of warranty would be enough of a reason for me to buy from them at MRSP instead of from Omega directly.

3. JPE.88305 Nov 14, 2019

good for them but would never shell out 5350 for a moonwatch...
    not worth $2k for that extra year IMO.

watch3s, Bimmerman77 and 03Hemi like this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 14, 2019

#homega

5. 03Hemi Nov 14, 2019

Dave Ramsey says never buy the extended warranty on anything.

Walrus and loniscup like this.
  6. Meme-Dweller Nov 14, 2019

Meanwhile, other ADs have to drop a load of cash to have that Omega-standard look and aren't allowed to sell online

david5807, SwissZ, R3D9 and 1 other person like this.
  7. mz_cle Nov 14, 2019

It makes sense that they move into this market, but I would prefer to purchase something new from my local AD or preowned.

8. DaveCollins Nov 14, 2019

If you purchase from a local dealer, you can get a discount. For example, I purchased a Speedmaster Professional for roughly $1000 off. That will not be possible if you go with Hodinkee. To me, that's a deal killer.

Also, you don't see all watches that are available. An example being the Bullhead.

watch3s and destroid like this.
  9. GTAKnights Nov 14, 2019

Are they really going to sell many watches? Knowing some buyers are online only and practically only know Hodinkee ... they may not even have a local dealer they might do well, but seems like most people will want to buy from a trusted dealer and handle the watch. Hodinkee has been successful selling LE's and mint vintage pieces to heavy collectors and I'm not sure if the everyday standard modern Omega buyer is their current customer.

That being said Hodinkee IS a brand and Will expand. Next is lines of leather goods , shoes and suits ... they already sell one offs! 'Watch' out Gucci! I wish I bought the Omega MK40 LE from them ... before my time but would have been enjoyed and made me a fortune when the time came ... lol

AC777 likes this.
  10. DaveCollins Nov 14, 2019

I've purchase several brand new Rolex watches from davidsw. Great experience. In fact I just took possession of one yesterday. Maybe his site will be next. He has quite an inventory to select from. My last two Oyster Perpetuals have both been below retail for brand new, stickers attached, Rolex watches. I see no reason why he couldn't also offer Omega as an online dealer.

Texans93 likes this.
  11. BenBagbag Nov 14, 2019

My guess is that they have a special arrangement for something similar to drop shipment. Where the watch is sent by Omega directly to the customers house and never actually passes through Hodinkee hands. I doubt Hodinkee has 100 Speedmaster in their own warehouses. It's probably a mutually beneficial partnership, and I don't see Hodinkee being expected to take huge risks to maintain AD status.

But curious what others thoughts are... :)

nzshadow, larryganz and destroid like this.
  12. Caliber561 Nov 14, 2019

Even though Hodinkee may seem rather duplicitous at times, I think that they have genuinely done an unmatched job of expanding the watch community, especially to the younger generation. Without their particular style, it's unlikely that they would have attracted such a particular demographic of readers that have thus far been very tough to expose to horology. If Hodinkee thinks that they can support their endeavor by selling Omega watches online, then I have no qualms against it. I just will not purchase one through there, myself.

JohnLy, Mouse_at_Large and Nathan1967 like this.
  13. Nathan1967 Nov 14, 2019

Agreed!

Personally, I find the current boutique/AD set up very stuffy and out dated......and I’m quite stuffy and out dated myself.

Now if Hodinkee did Bricks & Mortar stores that’s somewhere I’d enjoy visiting.

wristpirate likes this.
  14. dinexus Nov 14, 2019

Literally no reason for me to not continue supporting my excellent local AD Topper.

8100_RPM and Bimmerman77 like this.
  15. mz_cle Nov 14, 2019

Nathan1967 likes this.
  16. Nathan1967 Nov 14, 2019

17. GTAKnights Nov 14, 2019

wow that is a big development. If I was an AD for any of the brands they carry I would be worried. Fist the big three are stealing sales from the other luxury brands so they are discounting their products (VC and Zenith for sure) now they have to compete against online dealers with international cache opening super shops around the corner?

I'm not blaming Hodinkee they are like Rolex and just do it better.

18. jason10mm Nov 14, 2019

This is probably a good move for everyone.

A. Omega gets a high profile dealer and probably some generous 'dinkee fanwanking via their enthusiast press.

B. Hodinkee gets (more) legitimacy and a tie to a major watch manufacture that sells watches regular folks can afford and are actually available.

C. Local ADs get to undercut hodinkee (and Omega online) pricing and enjoy all the free press.

19. Evitzee Nov 14, 2019

Meh.....you can get the same item at your local boutique or from Omega's own eCommerce site, incl free shipping and returns. If I pay with AMEX I get TWO extra years on the warranty, so Hodinkee's extra year is worth nothing. But I think a lot of millennials and Gen-Z'ers have grown up with Hodinkee and there may be a trust bond there. It's all good to reach more people, some like to stay within an AD environment.

Lostpuppy116 and nzshadow like this.
  20. jaspers Nov 14, 2019

Apt analysis. The many folks here and on this thread who remark that you can't get a discount on the Dink and thus will be overpaying on suggested retail price level—you are absolutely right, and you are also absolutely not the target audience of Hodinkee's eCommerce platform.

Hodinkee wants two things: (1) signal that you can get any big brand through their platform, and more variety than any other online retailer, so more prospective consumers will visit, browse, click on ads (Ka-ching!), and leave aside competing platforms; (2) legitimize further as an online retailer of watches, by becoming an AD of arguably the second-most well-known watch brand in the world. So kudos to them: very smart business move.

Mouse_at_Large, scapa and destroid like this.