Forums Latest Members

My 1,000th Post: An Omega Retrospective

1. Annapolis Nov 11, 2023

For my 1,000th post here, since joining in the dawn-days of covid, I thought I’d indulge in a brief retrospective on my journey with Omega over the past four years. Four years is nothing, really---there are folks here who’ve been collecting Omega for many multiples of that---but it’s at least a moment to reflect for me, however noobie I might still be. And nobody needs to read this if they don’t want to, of course.

It took a bit to compile the list and reckon with the fact that, in four years, I’ve owned eight Omega watches, assuming I’m remembering all of them---excessive. And that doesn’t factor in probably another ten watches from other brands in the same span of time. This hobby is not conducive to sound decision-making.

One thing that might be anomalous about my interest in Omega, though surely not unique: I’ve never owned a Speedmaster, nor I have ever seriously considered buying one. The only chronograph I’ve owned was a microbrand watch that was lovely, but also all the assurance I needed that chronographs aren’t my thing.

But I’ve also learned never to say never. By post 2,000, I’ll probably be knee-deep in vintage Speedies. I started off thinking I disliked all watches with tool bezels; now I love divers. Thought I hated metal bracelets; now bracelet watches are all I wear.

Wish I still owned all of these, but it’s been a lot of buying and selling---I don’t think I’ve ever owned more than two Omegas at a time. Mine has been a “serial collection.” Along the way, I’ve dallied with other brands (notably a couple Rolex pieces and one Vacheron), but I’ve never been able to stay away from Omega for long. I’ve also developed a bad habit of buying a watch with plans to keep it, getting it serviced (consuming a lot of money and time) and then deciding to sell it. There’s been no “investment” to any of this; I’m guessing I’d be able to buy a preowned Nautilus by now with all the money I’ve squandered.

Pretty sure I’ve got the ordering of these right, but it’s been tricky to piece it all back together from old emails and PMs.

1) It began with a watch I still sometimes think about buying again, though I can’t seem to cope with 34mm. The Seamaster 600 135.011 crosshair technical dial.

135011.jpg

2) IIRC, I then picked up (cheap) a 1973 Megaquartz 1310, and had both of those watches at the same time.

Megaquartz.jpg

3) When that one left, a 36mm Aqua Terra 2504.30 silver dial took its place, purchased from a forum-member.

250430.jpg

4) There was also a 1977 birth-year Seamaster date 166.0163 in the mix, bought from one forumgoer, later sold to another. This was my last vintage Omega.

166.0163.jpg

5) My first (and still only) new-from-an-AD Omega was in Feb 2022, a Seamaster 300M diver 21030422003001. Loved the watch, but had two separate clasp failures and decided to part with it after the second one was replaced under warranty.

diver.jpg

6) Around this time I went Omega-less and had an affair with that other brand (which I’d dabbled with on and off previously), before getting my hands on a bucket-list watch I never thought I’d find at an affordable (50% retail) price from a trusted seller. This is the white gold Aqua Terra that I still own. I did a comprehensive review of it here (which was my 500th post).

ATgold.jpg

7) I added a “beater” quartz 36mm SMP300 2262.50 that served me well for a short while.

quartz.jpg

8) But a few months ago, I managed to obtain a “better beater” SMP300 (couldn’t resist the upgrade) 41mm Rio Olympics---the colorful ceramic bezel and larger size was too good to pass up at the price. I freakin love this watch so much. 41mm is the perfect size for the 300M, IMO. And I love how thin it is.

IMG-3262.jpg

One watch I’ve never owned but have come close to buying (preowned) on several occasions and have wanted consistently since almost the beginning: the 2012 Seamaster LE (1948 style small seconds). I missed a chance to pick one up from Jomashop for $3,500 a while back. Too bad, as they now seem to trade for almost twice that. I actually prefer the other 1948 models in some ways, but 2012 is a significant year for me, so the piece would have some sentimental currency.

As for what interests me now… I’m pretty content with my current two-watch setup (and don’t own any other high-end pieces at this point: my only other watch is a digital Timex). The white gold AT has been in my possession for longer than any other watch I’ve owned, and I don’t have the faintest interest in selling it. But I’m always on the lookout for a preowned specimen of its less rare but pricier and heavier cousin, the 41mm 300 heritage diver in full platinum. The price would have to be ludicrously good, as the retail is far out of budget (and just totally unrealistic on its merits). That’s my only “grail” at this point.

At my next major life milestone, I’ll probably look to add a proper dress watch to my collection, but I doubt I’d part with an Omega to do that---and I doubt the dress watch would be an Omega either: maybe a preowned 1815 or Calatrava, or something from JLC.

If you read all of this… what’s wrong with you? :)

Don’t ask me “why Omega?” I have no idea. I’m sure it’s something to do with their marketing affecting me on some subliminal level, but I just love what they are and what they aren’t, and---that one clasp situation aside---I’ve never had a lemon.

DaveK, Dsloan, iamvr and 30 others like this.
  2. MDubs Nov 11, 2023

Congratulations on your 1000th post! I look forward to your future posts about your burgeoning Speedy collection.

Omegafanman, Aludic and Annapolis like this.
  3. pdxleaf ... Nov 11, 2023

You've had some great watches. The fact that you haven't had a Speedmaster is a little surprising, but then again, i just got a Seamaster.

Thanks for sharing.

Annapolis likes this.
  4. Aroxx Sets his watch Nov 11, 2023

It is a slippery slope. I’ve acquired 4 Omegas in a year after getting re-bitten by the watch bug. Currently done buying for awhile. That’s to say nothing of my ridiculous post count in the same amount of time. You definitely need a Speedmaster though.

Annapolis likes this.
  5. TimeODanaos Nov 11, 2023

Nice going, and thanks for the enjoyable write-up. Here's to your next 1,000. And if you ever see that SM 600 technical again, just let me know! ;)

dougwhiz and Annapolis like this.
  6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Nov 11, 2023

Congratulations on your 1,000th !

Your Aqua Terra day-date is beyond special and could easily qualify as "that one watch". The fact that you got the colourful SMP 300 as your beater is just icing on the cake.

DaveK, MDubs and Annapolis like this.
  7. hansaboy Nov 12, 2023

Thanks for the lovely and entertaining post, congrats on your 1000 post!

Erhmmm.... why not have a feast and go for a Speedy!!??
    :)

Annapolis likes this.
  8. Annapolis Nov 12, 2023

Thanks for all the love—and the incorrigible enabling!

9. FSG Nov 12, 2023

The Omega bug is a difficult one to get rid of once it got you… :D

Annapolis likes this.
  10. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Nov 12, 2023

@Annapolis Love that Aqua Terra! Congrats on the 1000th post. Here’s to many more!

Annapolis likes this.
  11. dougwhiz Nov 12, 2023

Great post! Fun to read since it mirrors a lot of my experiences on OF, and with watch purchasing the last 5 years or so.

One of my first Omega purchases was a Seamaster 600 with the white technical dial. Sold it unfortunately, and haven't run across one since.

Annapolis likes this.
  12. Annapolis Nov 12, 2023

Yeah the white dial ones seem a little harder to come by in good tack.

13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 12, 2023

I read all of it Annapolis and found it an entertaining read.

Thanks!

Annapolis likes this.
  14. Netanel Mar 25, 2024

Awesome write up! I’ve been dreaming about that white gold AT for quite some time now:)

Annapolis likes this.