Forums Latest Members

Hirsch performance / summer strap questions / Help needed

1. Katana Feb 14, 2020

Hi all,

Im trying to get a nice summer strap for my Globemaster for when the weather gets hot. Being that the Globemaster bracelet either fits me snug or too loose, it’s not the best option during the really hot days for when my wrist size fluctuates, and I don’t want to ruin OEM leather strap. I’ve been researching various options that will work for hot weather and humidity. I’m not the biggest fan of natos for the Globemaster because the case has some heft and thickness to it and feels somewhat unbalanced to me on a thin piece of material. So I found 3 potential options that could possibly work.

1. The Watch Steward straps. From the photos I kind of like the look of them, I’ve read they’re more elastic than natos so are quite comfortable, and the material doubles up some could potentially feel more balanced with a thicker case. My concern with this one is being stretchy and thin, despite 2 layers, not sure if it will feel structured and dense enough to balance with the thick watch case. Also from watching videos it looks like you have to pull the strap into a loop position to insert you hand, and much of the time the SS hardware touches the top of the lugs, so scratches would be a concern. https://www.thewatchsteward.com/

2. Rubber Tropic straps. They kind of have a more dressy look compared to typical rubber diver straps, but not sure how a straight up rubber strap will work with the Globemaster. https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-tropical-style-rubber-watch-strap-by-zuludiver

3. Hirsch Paul Performance strap. So far this seems like the most attractive option as I like my alligator strap and the waterproof rubber underside with the leather upper seems like the best of both worlds for summer. https://www.hirschstraps.com/produc...black-0925028050?_pos=11&_sid=c1b8f917a&_ss=r

So, do any of you guys have any experience with any of these straps? Particularly the Hirsch performance line? Just looking for something of quality, comfort and looks decent.
    Cheers.

Edited Feb 14, 2020
  2. Vitezi Feb 14, 2020

Katana likes this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Feb 14, 2020

I’ve played with the Hirsch in store, and they seem well made.

PS I think that auto correct made a change in your thread title

Katana likes this.
  4. Katana Feb 14, 2020

Not really a fan of either tbh.

5. Katana Feb 14, 2020

Thanks for the input and heads up, title corrected.

6. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

Rubber-lined leather straps always seem a bit gross to me, but either of the other straps seem fine. I have tons of dive watches on rubber straps, including vintage and modern Tropic-style straps, but I wouldn't put one of these straps on anything other than a dive watch. And I have several watches on straps like the elastic one you show (although most of mine are from Erika's Originals), but again these are all sporty watches. Without seeing a photo of your watch, it's hard to judge whether a particular style would work.

Katana likes this.
  7. Katana Feb 14, 2020

By leather rubber lined leather seems gross do you mean after you’ve worn it for a while through experience, or the thought of it seems gross?

Here are some photos of my Globemaster. It’s something in between a dress and sports watch imo. More of an everyday watch.

B6B8B6E3-CEDE-4A4D-9C28-306620040251.jpeg 4CA063A6-F911-46BD-94C2-0FEB5978E585.jpeg

63E2757C-4F7A-43DC-9504-D9D72BFB786C.jpeg
  8. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

That actually looks pretty dressy to me, especially with the fluted bezel. No way I would put that on a Tropic, Nato, or elastic strap. I would probably just suck it up and buy the bracelet.

apsm100 and Waltesefalcon like this.
  9. Katana Feb 14, 2020

I have the SS bracelet, but there are no micro adjustments on it, so it either fits me snug or too loose. It’s fine when the weather is warm, but when it gets pretty hot makes the bracelet unusable. It’s frustrating that Omega didn’t factor in micro adjustments on this model.

Dan S likes this.
  10. rahilb Feb 14, 2020

Another option to look at is a sailcloth strap. I had one a long time ago from bradystraps, though the consensus seems to be now that they are not the best sailcloth strap. Not sure if aesthetically it would work with the globe master.

Katana likes this.
  11. Waltesefalcon Feb 14, 2020

I have a rubber Hirsch strap, very much like the Robby line on their site, that I wear my KonTiki on and it is very well made and comfortable.

Katana and Wetworks like this.
  12. Wetworks Feb 14, 2020

Agreed, I have the Robby and the George, both are very comfortable and of high quality.

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 14, 2020

I agree, good quality and comfortable.

Tom

Katana likes this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 14, 2020

I find flat leather straps quite comfortable in the summer. Agree this is a dressy watch and the style of NATOs, rubber and elastic does not fit at all. I’ve always found rubber very uncomfortable and it gets very sweaty, no matter what the season.

Katana likes this.
  15. Katana Feb 14, 2020

Never tried sailcloth before but I’ll look into it, thanks.

16. Katana Feb 14, 2020

Excellent, thanks for the feedback!

17. Katana Feb 14, 2020

Good to hear , cheers!

18. Katana Feb 14, 2020

I like leather too, and it’s fine for me when the summer is mild, but when it gets hot and sticky it’s a no go. Reason I’m considering the Hirsch performance straps is because the rubber underneath is formed with air tunnels for ventilation, so it’s supposed to counter the sweaty effects. Hopefully it does.

19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 14, 2020

It does, it's just a little stiff to start with.

Tom

Katana likes this.
  20. amcclell Feb 14, 2020

I have no issues wearing leather straps in the summer. They absorb sweat and darken slightly but they are comfortable.

Katana likes this.