Forums Latest Members

Help with swapping Speedmaster Delrin brake for metal part (cal. 1861)

1. mercury895 Feb 12, 2020

Hello all,

In the future, I am thinking about swapping the Delrin brake in an 1861 movement for the equivalent metal blocking lever (part 1726) and blocking lever yoke (part 1818).

It seems like the brake is directly accessible after removing the caseback and removable just by unscrewing the single screw that is holding it in place. Also, aside from the blocking lever spring (part 1733), the brake/lever does not seem to be in clear contact with other parts that would be applying constant force or tension.

Would any of you happen to know: 1) if you can remove and replace those specific parts without dismantling any other parts of the movement; 2) if all that replacing the brake requires is removing and replacing that single screw?; and 3) if removing the brake somehow results in other parts flying off or becoming unhappy due to some unaccounted for tension on or contact with the part?

Have any of you done this? If so, how did it go/did you have any issues?

Thank you for your help and have an awesome day!

Danny

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2020

This is probably an @Archer kind of question, I'm guessing you're doing this to make it look better with a displayback?

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. mercury895 Feb 12, 2020

Thanks for replying, dsio!

The display caseback may be an option down the road, but I mainly just want to switch it because I like the idea of the movement being a little all-metal machine.

I had actually touched base with Archer on a different forum and he replied:

“Not sure I’ve tried doing this without removing the hammer also...so you may need to remove the hammer first, which would add a fair bit of complexity to the job...”

From looking closely at the movement, it looks like it might be doable without removing any other parts—but I was wondering if anyone had actually done it.

Thanks again!

Edited Feb 13, 2020
  4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 13, 2020

Why would you want to when the Delrin is a better material? They picked it for a reason.

Tom

Foo2rama, ahsposo, 89-0 and 1 other person like this.
  5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 13, 2020

Only reason they went plastic was cost.

6. mercury895 Feb 13, 2020

I'm not sure it is better as much as functionally equivalent with decreased manufacturing costs.

7. Wryfox Feb 13, 2020

"High performance polymer"

Get it right....

:whistling:

Omegafanman and mercury895 like this.
  8. 03Hemi Feb 13, 2020

A super synthetic polymer!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2020

Archer has already replied to a PM on another forum - I guess he didn't like my answers.

josiahg52, McKnife, Foo2rama and 3 others like this.
  10. Evitzee Feb 13, 2020

I'm admittedly ignorant on the Delrin issue, but what are the main reasons for going with the synthetic material? Just cost, or are there performance, wear or other advantages to it?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2020

Been covered many times. There are no performance or wear advantages.

vitriol and mercury895 like this.
  12. mercury895 Feb 13, 2020

Hi @Archer. Yeah, I mentioned that you responded to me in the other forum further up the thread.

No. No issue with your answer. From the service manual, and from other resources, I see that there is a way/order in which the movement is typically disassembled/reassembled. But, from looking at the brake/blocking lever, it does not seem like it is under tension or directly contacting other parts when at rest (expect for the blocking lever spring), and so seems like the part could be directly removed/replaced after removing the screw without actually disassembling other parts of the movement. I was wondering if anyone had actually tried it.

13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 13, 2020

If they made it from a piece of thick cardboard it would do the job.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2020

Then by all means go ahead - what are you waiting for?

15. mercury895 Feb 13, 2020

Waiting on the parts and waiting on travel to another province to pick up the watch. And, like I said, it's a working hypothesis based on everything I can see in the movement. It really seems theoretically doable and a relatively safe thing to try--but, even then, as a general principle when approaching anything with some level of risk, I find it's always a good idea to first talk to people who have tried or actually done that very thing in practice. You said yourself in the PM from the other forum, "Not sure I’ve tried doing this without removing the hammer"--which, again, is what motivated my question on this forum, "Have any of you done this? If so, how did it go/did you have any issues?"

Edited Feb 13, 2020
  16. 03Hemi Feb 13, 2020

I replaced mine with a thick piece of cardboard.

17. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 13, 2020

Don't wear it whilst snorkelling then.

18. 03Hemi Feb 13, 2020

It's all good, I used the wax coated cardboard.

watchyouwant and Undefeatable like this.
  19. mercury895 Feb 13, 2020

But the question is: did you install the cardboard without removing the hammer?

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 13, 2020

All due respect to Al, Omega decided it was better. That's enough for me.

Tom