Forums Latest Members

How to acquire a 1863 metal brake for a 1861?

1. Owlsu Oct 22, 2018

Hi, I have a hesalite 1861 with a custom display back fitted and want to swap the delrin brake to a metal one.

Does anyone know the best way to go about actually acquiring just the metal brake from a 1863 in the UK so I can have it put into the watch? I've never seen one on places like eBay and all the sites that used to sell Omega parts have shut down now or no longer sell parts.

Thanks.

2. jimmyd13 Oct 22, 2018

Have it swapped at service. You will need a watchmaker with an Omega account (so Omega approved). If you're in a desperate rush to have it swapped out, then the same applies: find an Omega approved watchmaker and you may as well service the movement while you're at it.

Owlsu likes this.
  3. ChrisN Oct 22, 2018

The blocking lever (brake) for the 1863 is readily available in UK. You can go to your usual watchmaker. The issue you'll get is that none of us like to open a watch and do a small job on it because you're then responsible for anything that goes wrong with the rest of the watch. I will only consider those small jobs for repeat customers that I know and you may find that your usual watchmaker is not interested either unless it's part of a full service.

Hope this helps, Chris

omegasaso12, Owlsu and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Stuie Oct 22, 2018

Owlsu likes this.
  5. pascs Oct 22, 2018

There are 2 parts you need and not just one.

Part numbers are the blocking lever 7220 8631726 and the blocking lever yoke 7220 8631818

Owlsu and Archer like this.
  6. Gruesome Oct 22, 2018

Thanks for the unique insight.

7. Owlsu Oct 23, 2018

Thanks for the replies everyone that's very helpful. In the meantime I contacted (edited) who would be happy to actually provide the 2 parts and fit the whole thing at a cost of £150. The watch wouldn't need service since it's only 2 years and 1 month old so just barely came out of warranty.

Would it be much easier to just pay the £150 if I want this done rather than spending close to £110 getting both the blocking lever and blocking lever yoke parts myself from Orfei like suggested then going all over the place trying to find a watchmaker willing to actually fit it? I think (edited) would also provide a 2 year guarantee on this because it's classed as repair work.

Edited Oct 25, 2018
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 23, 2018

Yes.

If this is being done from the "official service center" part of the business, and not the other part of their business, then yes there would be an official warranty that covers the work done - this means if something goes wrong with the blocking lever it would be covered, but it doesn't provide you with a full warranty for 2 years on the whole watch. At least that how Omega's terms read.

Owlsu likes this.
  9. Owlsu Oct 24, 2018

In your experience as someone who deals with repairs (you're an Omega technician of sorts aren't you?) Is there any difference between the blocking lever used on an 861 and the one used for a 1863? Either in quality or appearance etc.

Edited Oct 25, 2018
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 24, 2018

The 1861 (and later 861) blocking lever is one piece and made of plastic. The early 861 blocking lever is in two pieces and made of steel. The 1863 blocking lever is in two pieces, made of steel, and has additional decoration on it.

There is zero difference in terms of performance of the these parts.

Cheers, Al

pascs and Owlsu like this.