help with acrylic crystals

Sapphire would be not in the history of this watch. A low domed plexy is age- correct, sapphire crystals were not used in the 40s-50s

And, replying to Kaplan, these crystals have never been thick, nor is the one in the watch by the OP. It is just the wrong shape.
yes i see, think i’m going to get a couple of low domes and a cheap press and give it a go myself

i am also unsure as to what colour hands to put on it. i have been advised that these are not original and that a pair of feuille hands would be more appropriate. however the sub second is gold and the numerals are more silvery but also appear gold in some lights. i have seen similar watches with both gold and silver hands, but it is much clearer as to what colour the numerals are...sounds silly now i’m saying it.

My first instinct was that it needed gold feuille (or maybe alpha) hands.

To me it looks like feuille / leaf hands would be correct. But if you know the case reference you can look at other examples online. The crown also looks incorrect to me (too thick).

It could perhaps be polished, scratches just buffed out, if you really want to replace it i'd recommend you visit a watchmaker.

The 1043 crystal is a lot lower than what you have now, which is likely wrong. I would look around for one if your watchmaker can't get one.

To me it looks like feuille / leaf hands would be correct. But if you know the case reference you can look at other examples online. The crown also looks incorrect to me (too thick).
would a crown like this be more appropriate?
https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-omega-265-ref-2495-1950-475-00.87405/ also shows nice leaf hands think i’ll get a pair of these in gold like this one here https://watchcharts.com/listing/253...ize-rare-vintage-cal-265-1946-watch-dial-rare however these look more rose gold compared to the more yellow sub second and they are the alpha hands dan mentioned. just the gold colour im looking at on the numerals
Edited:

would a crown like this be more appropriate?
https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-omega-265-ref-2495-1950-475-00.87405/ also shows nice leaf hands think i’ll get a pair of these in gold like this one here https://watchcharts.com/listing/253...ize-rare-vintage-cal-265-1946-watch-dial-rare however these look more rose gold compared to the more yellow sub second and they are the alpha hands dan mentioned. just the gold colour im looking at on the numerals
Before jumping into changing hands, I would do some thorough research. Try to find as many examples of this model as you can.

Are there examples with dauphine hands? If so, what dial are they paired with and what year does their movement serial date to?

If you can find three examples that have the same dial with leaf hands, that could be evidence to presume that this is correct for this watch. Alternatively, if you find 4 examples that are the same, but 4 examples that used dauphine hands for example it could be that there was no clear rule. Especially if their production years are all over the place (based on the serial).

Usually by doing this, and compiling some evidence, you will see a clear correlation. I think with that under your belt you will make clear and correct decisions. The second example you show above, I do not believe to be correct. Hands, are almost always the same colour as the indices on the dial to start with and these hands are not. Personally I do not think this would have alpha hands - but your research should be able to help you come to your own conclusions? You could then post your findings here based on your research.

For me this is all part of the hobby, research, hunting and wearing! 😀

Enjoy.

Before jumping into changing hands, I would do some thorough research. Try to find as many examples of this model as you can.

Are there examples with dauphine hands? If so, what dial are they paired with and what year does their movement serial date to?

If you can find three examples that have the same dial with leaf hands, that could be evidence to presume that this is correct for this watch. Alternatively, if you find 4 examples that are the same, but 4 examples that used dauphine hands for example it could be that there was no clear rule. Especially if their production years are all over the place (based on the serial).

Usually by doing this, and compiling some evidence, you will see a clear correlation. I think with that under your belt you will make clear and correct decisions. The second example you show above, I do not believe to be correct. Hands, are almost always the same colour as the indices on the dial to start with and these hands are not. Personally I do not think this would have alpha hands - but your research should be able to help you come to your own conclusions? You could then post your findings here based on your research.

For me this is all part of the hobby, research, hunting and wearing! 😀

Enjoy.
ok I've been having a good look around and it would appear that most watches with this case ref that have dial with all numerals have the leaf hands, whereas those where only some numerals are displayed (usually 12, 3, 6 ,9) and the rest are blank shapes (not sure what to call it) have dauphine hands. this seems to be the general trend; there are of course some anomalies. I also noticed that most of them have a crown ever so slightly different from mine, maybe they are slightly wider, however at the moment that is not a significant issue for me. I think i'll get the crown and crystal sorted first.
this is a very pretty example that shows what I think are the original hands and crown working-vintage-omega-15-jewel-mans

ok I've been having a good look around and it would appear that most watches with this case ref that have dial with all numerals have the leaf hands, whereas those where only some numerals are displayed (usually 12, 3, 6 ,9) and the rest are blank shapes (not sure what to call it) have dauphine hands. this seems to be the general trend; there are of course some anomalies. I also noticed that most of them have a crown ever so slightly different from mine, maybe they are slightly wider, however at the moment that is not a significant issue for me. I think i'll get the crown and crystal sorted first.
this is a very pretty example that shows what I think are the original hands and crown working-vintage-omega-15-jewel-mans
Anomalies are usually Frankenstein watches, although of course this is not always the case. I would agree with you, this is a good example to base your project. Good luck in your search and keep these photos for reference to show your watchmaker.

Anomalies are usually Frankenstein watches, although of course this is not always the case. I would agree with you, this is a good example to base your project. Good luck in your search and keep these photos for reference to show your watchmaker.
i have also noticed that some hands of this style are slightly fatter than others:
the first one is like what i’ve seen and the others are different, maybe slightly older?

i have also noticed that some hands of this style are slightly fatter than others:
the first one is like what i’ve seen and the others are different, maybe slightly older?
The first watch is from the 1940s and will likely house a 30T2, (one of the 30mm calibres) . The next two are from the 1930s and are 26.5 calibres. You only need worry about the first. This is what you are looking for as your watch is also within the 30mm calibre family.

replaced the crystal today. had a few issues as it turns out my callipers aren’t the most reliable. eventually got the right size and it looks much better now thanks for your help everyone.

replaced the crystal today. had a few issues as it turns out my callipers aren’t the most reliable. eventually got the right size and it looks much better now thanks for your help everyone.
Nice improvement

I normally like a higher dome crystal, but this really suits the case profile better and the lessening of edge distortion allows you to see more of the dial including the “Swiss made” at the bottom which was Almost obscured with the last crystal- well done!

I normally like a higher dome crystal, but this really suits the case profile better and the lessening of edge distortion allows you to see more of the dial including the “Swiss made” at the bottom which was Almost obscured with the last crystal- well done!
thanks, it definitely does. makes the whole thing look much cleaner