help with acrylic crystals

hi my 1940s omega arrived today and i love it. the crystal is a bit scratched up and i’d like to get a new one. i’d ideally have one without such a large dome on it. i was wondering if one can buy a replacement crystal that is shorter than the current one? i don’t know if it would interfere with the hands or not. i just prefer the way the ones that aren’t as proud look and would sit much better on the case. i’m not sure if this one is original or not. the case ref is 2495 and i’ve seen another thread that states the omega piece number: 062PN1043
hope someone can help thanks

Have you asked your watchmaker?
no i haven’t, probably a good place to start. i’m just looking at flat top glasses in the same diameter seems like it should fit but i’m not sure. will get in contact with a watchmaker thanks

If you have a vernier calliper you can take this crystal out, measure the void and go on cousins website to buy generic acrylic low dome crystals in that size. I would buy 2 in the size you measured plus two 0.2mm wider this way if the first one is too loose you can fit the bigger one. These can often be push fit with your fingers. Or take it to a watch maker and they’ll do it for you for very little money.

If you have a vernier calliper you can take this crystal out, measure the void and go on cousins website to buy generic acrylic low dome crystals in that size. I would buy 2 in the size you measured plus two 0.2mm wider this way if the first one is too loose you can fit the bigger one. These can often be push fit with your fingers. Or take it to a watch maker and they’ll do it for you for very little money.
ok good idea thanks, what do you mean by the void? also will i have to take the tension ring into consideration?
thanks

ok good idea thanks, what do you mean by the void? also will i have to take the tension ring into consideration?
thanks
This does not look like a waterproof model that would have a tension ring. I might be wrong though. If it has a screwback case it will likely have a tension ring and this will need a crystal press to fit.

This does not look like a waterproof model that would have a tension ring. I might be wrong though. If it has a screwback case it will likely have a tension ring and this will need a crystal press to fit.
ok thanks it’s just a snapback case

Cousins has a number of low dome options, as said above. If you can’t fit it by pressing by Hans, you may need a watch press, which you can use both to fit crystal and to close push backs

Cousins has a number of low dome options, as said above. If you can’t fit it by pressing by Hans, you may need a watch press, which you can use both to fit crystal and to close push backs

would one of these lifts work?

would one of these lifts work?
Because the current crystal is a high dome, there should be enough purchase as it were for one of these tools to grasp onto it to remove. It may not be useful to insert a low dome though because it would just slip off. I have a bergeon ones of these and they can be very useful.

But unless you’re doing this kind of work on watches all the time I wouldn’t bother buying these tools as it will be cheaper for a one off trip to your watchmaker and of course less risky. I generally have a rule. The more I love a watch, the less I “tinker” with it. ☺️

That one will work only if there is enough lateral to get a grip - and compressing then till dome up and get out. But if it is very flat, it won't grip:

That one will work only if there is enough lateral to get a grip - and compressing then till dome up and get out. But if it is very flat, it won't grip:

ok i see thank you, so if i’m using a press will i need to get a crystal that is more true to size? since it is recommended to get a slightly larger one when using a lift. the diameter of the crystal is 30.35mm so i was going to buy a 30.4 but also a 30.6 to ensure a tight fit however if the crystal is not being squeezed by the lift tool should i just get a 30.4

Personally I would buy both and see how it goes, but a professional may advice you better than I can.

Before you go through the trouble and risk of trying to replace the crystal, have you tried just polishing out the scratches with Novus or Polywatch. For about $15 and an hour of your time, you can work wonders on an acrylic crystal.

The reason why he wants to change it is because that crystal is too proud of the watch, not because it is scratched.

Have had watches where the previous owner had the crystal replaced during service, and the watchmaker used a crystal of the right diameter, but ridiculously proud of the watch, adding 2-3 mm to the thickness

[but
The reason why he wants to change it is because that crystal is too proud of the watch, not because it is scratched.

Have had watches where the previous owner had the crystal replaced during service, and the watchmaker used a crystal of the right diameter, but ridiculously proud of the watch, adding 2-3 mm to the thickness

Same, I replace more crystals than I save. I like my watches as thin as possible.

One of the top things I like about Omega's is their thick crystals

yes exactly, ideally i’d have a nice low domed sapphire in there, flush with the bezel but that won’t fit

Sapphire would be not in the history of this watch. A low domed plexy is age- correct, sapphire crystals were not used in the 40s-50s

And, replying to Kaplan, these crystals have never been thick, nor is the one in the watch by the OP. It is just the wrong shape.