Forums Latest Members

Help with a naive question on universal Geneve auctioned as a Polerouter

1. tribal Feb 23, 2024

Hello all UG bugs.

must recognized I have a really naive question to ask.
    The below UG will soon be offered by a local auction house with the below picture only.

IMG_4154.jpeg

My questions are rather simple, this is being advertised as a Polerouter but I cannot see any mention on the dial. Can a watch be a Polerouter without this information on the dial?

Does anyone recognize this model?

Additional question I can see a Swiss on the bottom of the dial where I would have expected a Swiss T but might be that I am wrongfully comparing with Omega dials…

Any thoughts? Comments.
    Sorry I do not have access to any other pictures so far.

2. osterman Feb 23, 2024

My guess is that the dial has been replaced

3. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Feb 23, 2024

Either that, or a redial. The latter would be what I’d suspect. Print looks a bit wobbly.

Larry S likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2024

There should be a reference number on the back, inside the caseback or between the lugs.

If that number matches one of the known Polerouter references, then I would say it’s a Polerouter. Plenty of them out there with bad redials.
    gatorcpa

5. jumpingsecond Feb 23, 2024

I think the dial may be okay??
    It could be an undesignated polerouter.
    @Mazoue will know...

6. Mazoue Feb 23, 2024

Agree with that conclusion.
    Doesn't look like a redial. Why some dials were undesignated (i.e. without the Polerouter model name) I am not so sure.
    If I had to guess based on that photo, I would say it is a 20368(/3?) - the smaller 34mm case size requires a thinner bezel.

tribal likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2024

8. tribal Feb 24, 2024

Thanks all for your answers.
    Always impressed by the depth of knowledge existing here.
    After having spent hours learning about constellations it seems that I am now approaching a new rabbit hole with the Polerouter.
    Now I discovered undesignated dials after having spent some time checking the prints/ fonts guide.
    If this can help the watch is given for a 32mm width.

I have requested additional pictures caseback, mouvement etc. Will keep you posted if anything is received.
    Otherwise sounds like I will have to visit the auction house, start to like this I must admit.

thanks again for your inputs I am learning a lot here.

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 24, 2024

Ask them to measure again.

sjg22, Mazoue and tribal like this.
  10. Redondo444 Feb 24, 2024

Larry S and Mazoue like this.
  11. tribal Feb 24, 2024

Thanks for the suggestion.
    As I am beginning this hobby, I am now in a sort of frenziness discovering new watches every week or so.
    I do love to learn about the history and the details behind the variations etc but I am also still learning what I like, so it is probably too early for me to invest in a specialized book. At least now I know it exists :).
    @Mazoue honored that you took the time to answer on my basic question and congrats for the book. Cannot imagine the amount of work this must represents.

HamDoctor, jumpingsecond and Mazoue like this.
  12. tribal Feb 26, 2024

As promised a follow-up after the auction house answered (partly).

No feedback on the size or any visible numbers between the lugs but a nice picture from the case back.
    48.jpeg

Doesn’t help that much to identify between a bad redial and an un designated polerouter but I must recognize I quite like what I see in terms of condition.

13. tribal Feb 29, 2024

After chasing the auction house they finally came back with additional details.
    Reference number seems to be 2368/10 so a polerouter known ref.
    Mouvement is a micro rotor 218-9
    IMG_4168.jpeg
    so now these elements seems to confirm this is a legit un designated polerouter.
    thanks again for your inputs helped me a lot in researching additional details.

Larry S likes this.
  14. osterman Feb 29, 2024

In the "bible" for Polerouters (universalgenevepolerouter.com) I've seen a ref. 20368-4 without the writing Polerouter; however, it is very different from yours.

15. tribal Feb 29, 2024

Thanks Osterman,

this one was a ref 29368/10. IMG_4169.jpeg
    Picture from the same bible universalgenevepolerouter.com, you will see that they are very similar, except for the missing Polerouter designation.
    I also checked with the Bible table reference and dial, hands, Swiss only and mouvement type 218-9 are coherent with this reference.

Thought the OF members might want to know that this watch was sold today for 1950€ including the buyer’s premium.
    If you add to this service and possibly shipment this will make it around 2400€ which was too high for me.

16. septentrio Mar 5, 2024

Here's my US market 204612/2

[​IMG]

Thommas and tribal like this.
  17. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Mar 5, 2024

Good looking watch but my untrained eye says redial, but it could be a reflection issue from the crystal. The perpendicular crosshair is off, especially when compared to the second image that @tribal posted. There’s also that scratch above 5. Good luck in your journey!

IMG_9882.jpeg IMG_9883.jpeg
  18. tribal Mar 5, 2024

A beauty ::love::

septentrio likes this.
  19. tribal Mar 5, 2024

I think the crosshair is off due to the quality of the picture I copied from the auction house.
    You are right about the scratche that is what puts me off with this one.

20. Honzik420 Mar 5, 2024

Hello Friends,

new to this forum. I've found this thread and started wondering about this watch I have, what do you think?

pole1.jpg pole2.jpg pole3.jpg ug polerouter.jpg