Forums Latest Members

Help with 1950's seamaster Automatic calendar and estimated value

1. Kjellander Sep 7, 2019

Hello.
    I did bought this watch from the son of the first owner here in sweden. I know that the watch is a model 2627-12C. It is black honeycomb dial and gold on metal and the glassring is in gold what I have been told, but I am not sure about that? I have also bee told that the size of the watch is 34 mm. Unfortunatly the rotor/bumper is missing on this watch. I wonder if someone can tell me little more about this watch and little about the estimated value as it is now, and if its worth to find a new rotor/bumper?
    I don´t think that the crown is original?

Kindly regards

oppenboett.jpg 20170821_1657561.jpg 20170827_155714.jpg 20190907_143920.jpg
  2. Kjellander Sep 7, 2019

Sorry for the large images. I didnt know how to resize them.

3. Kjellander Sep 7, 2019

The image with the open backlid is before cleaning and service btw

4. Canuck Sep 7, 2019

Case is gold shell on steel. Good! Dial in nice shape and appears original. Good! Date at 6:00 calibre 355. Good! The base movement appears to be all there, and in decent shape. Good! Not just the ROTOR missing! The entire automatic wind system, gone! Not good! Value as is? You can imagine, the way it is. Value after restoration? About what it would cost to supply the missing parts, and restore it. Someone would need to cannibalize a complete running watch to fix this one up. Opinions on value after completed restoration........?

The included picture is of a calibre 351, basically the same movement without the calendar, but WITH all the auto wind system intact.

C53ACDE2-574F-4596-8099-350502CE732E.jpeg

Edited Sep 7, 2019
    Kjellander likes this.
  5. Kjellander Sep 7, 2019

Hello Canuck.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am totally newbie about watches so your information is really interesting and appreciated. About the value of my watch I have no clue at all what the value is now and what it could be after a restoration?

It could never be as it was original so is it worth the job and the cost for parts?

It seems that is lots of missing parts?

6. Canuck Sep 7, 2019

Value after restoration? If you were planning to fix it up to sell it, it (IMO) would not be worth the repair. You might recover the cost of the restoration when you sell it. You might not. It would be a very collectible watch, complete, running, and competently restored. So if your plan was to keep it, and to enjoy it for what it is, it might be money well spent. If your plan was to fix it up to sell it? Probably not! I see two of Omega calibre 355, date at 6:00 automatics listed for sale on various on line sites at prices from $500 to $1,200, and one optimistically priced at $2,000 +. Let’s call it a median average price for a good one of $1,200. In restored shape, one like yours with the desirable gold shell case, a nice original dial, desirable date at 6:00, that sounds like a believable price. But what would it cost to restore it?

Offered for sale the way it is? That might be the way to go. Somebody with parts, or a donor movement, might snap that up in a trice! If you were to go that route, try listing it at an obscene price, and see who might answer the call.

I have uploaded a picture of mine, in the less desirable steel case, but with an original hobnail dial with desirable “crosshair” feature. Complete, restored, and running beautifully, and I wouldn’t sell it for $1,200.00!

166997B1-E192-402F-B382-CF72D31AFB71.jpeg

7. Snowman Sep 7, 2019

Hi,
    That looks to be a nice original black honeycomb dial perhaps that is where the value is in this piece

8. Snowman Sep 7, 2019

I have been reading quite a bit on these early Seamaster Calendar date at six wasn’t aware the gold cap variant was more desirable
    Nice to be armed with a bit more knowledge and info thanks for that

9. Canuck Sep 7, 2019

The choices one might have are: karat gold, gold shell, or two tone (gold shell bezel and lugs), or stainless steel. Ranked in that order of desirability. It might be a moot point, but I consider gold shell or two tone with gold shell to be a PLUS over a plain stainless steel case. Agree or don’t agree, it is immaterial to me!

Snowman and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. Biezmez Sep 8, 2019

Hiya
    Thats a beautiful dial you have on the watch. I would get it down to a decent local watch repairer and start checking out the parts needed. There appears to be quite a few parts for this on the Bay. Even if you end up spending 4-5k Sek on the watch it’ll look stunning and something to keep for the future.
    As mentioned previously as a parts watch it would be snapped up. I’d certainly be a buyer as I have a 355 and I would love to have that dial on my watch.
    Best of luck
    Chris.