Forums Latest Members

Help wanted looking for suggestions

1. Elliottp Jul 23, 2020

Having a really hard time looking for my first Swiss made auto under $1500 since the selection is immense so I've decided to expand past just Swiss made so I would like to hear some advice the community has to offer and hopefully I'll find something I may have not considered so far. I almost had it down to 3 a steinhart ocean one or two. A ball fireman or an Oris then I saw an nth nacken now I'm wanting to start over and make a great choice not just a good one since the price I'm paying is alot to me and it'll be awhile till I can make another purchase after this. So... Suggestions please and thank you.
    Pics would b great but not needed
    P.s I wear size 40-44 and no preference although I do like divers alot, in house, miyota or Swiss movement. Preferably new but would consider used. I like German made, french and others I'm not picky that way just no Chinese watches at that price.

Edited Jul 23, 2020
  2. ZIELSZIEK Jul 23, 2020

Hi there
    I sort of asked the same question a long time ago and then I realized I needed to do some research.
    You need to be a little more specific. Maybe browse the WRUW section?
    Do you care about what movement is in it? (you should)
    Personally, I wouldn't get a homage watch. Also, maybe you should reconsider how much you want to spend(since you said it's a lot to you). Are you getting a new/used watch? There could be servicing if it's an older Oris, for example.
    A great purchase can only be made by you when you'll know exactly what you need and want.
    Good luck!

OmegaP99 and Elliottp like this.
  3. lillatroll Jul 23, 2020

I would go for an Oris diver in that price range. You might stretch to a Rado Captain Cook that has been used. New they retail at around 2500 for stainless steel and 2800usd for bronze. So with a bit of patience you might find a used one for around 1500 usd. There are plenty of options in this price range. As Zielsiek says, you need to narrow it down a bit and maybe try a few watches on first.

janice&fred and Elliottp like this.
  4. mcemeren Jul 27, 2020

I tried to put your preliminary constraints to chrono24 and ended up with the below picture. Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 4.04.26 PM.png
    here is the link.

Navigate thru to freely explore the watches. If you see something interesting you may query if anyone has experience etc, or create a short list and even ask for members to vote/comment, then once you decide, you may search for the best platform to buy it, online/dealer/private seller, whichever suit your way.

Wish my best on your purchase.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  5. Donn Chambers Jul 27, 2020

Had to look up NTH Nacken, because I’d never heard of them. Looks like one of those small startups that pushes watches made in China on Instagram for more than they are worth. Interesting that one your are interested in is “currently unavailable”, suggesting they build in small lots to increase demand. Marketing over substance, IMO, so I’d steer clear of them.

Steinhart, Ball, and Oris are all legitimate manufacturers and make quality watches. Steinharts are cheaper, but derivative. Oris watches are well-respected, and the Oris Diver Sixty-Five is a great watch. The Ball Fireman Classic is nice looking and I think would make a great intro.

Another brand not mentioned already worth looking at is Tissot.

Good hunting!

janice&fred likes this.
  6. mjb Jul 27, 2020

I recently bought an Oris diver, and it's a nice watch. Well made, nicely finished, wears well, looks good. Fits in your budget.

oris2.jpg oris1.jpg

janice&fred likes this.
  7. janice&fred Jul 27, 2020

With your generous budget you will have no problems finding something great. As mentioned you might want to narrow your choices down. I see the only danger in WHO you buy the watch from. Since you consider used, you will get more bang for your buck that way and if you stick to the for sale section of this site, you will be buying from an known entity and the chances of getting ripped off is very slim.

8. mjb Jul 27, 2020

Um... I would be careful making such a recommendation. It doesn't take much for a clever scammer to make 200 posts and sell something nefarious.

Always use caution when buying a used watch.

9. janice&fred Jul 27, 2020

Um...I still think he's better off here on this site than some random online ad, and I very much doubt there are many who have been outright scammed buying here.

10. mr_smith Jul 27, 2020

Can't go wrong with this one, in my opinion - Omega 2254.50. And, they can be found at or near your price point.

vTuRhieVSSC+Tn9cBbdfrw.jpg
    janice&fred likes this.