Forums Latest Members

Looking for suggestions on work watch

1. BradleyJ. Feb 5, 2019

So despite being Tuesday and forgetting to wear my speedy today, I threw on my seiko 5 and realized how much I love the small size (37mm) but hate how it doesn't have lume. Well it has lume but it lasts almost 20 seconds after being fully charged. Any suggestions cause I can't find anything that fits the bill that can get smacked around while working(I'm a railroader). Heres what it needs to have, brand doesnt matter. Used my smart watches for years but hate the size while I'm working (Mostly the thickness)

36-39mm
    Would prefer Arabic numerals, at least 3/6/9/12
    Automatic
    Between $1 to 300
    Brite lume
    Day date
    Anything else extra would be a perk.

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 5, 2019

$249

CFF88309-DA42-4B3F-BCCC-00CB563B40AB.jpeg

Spruce, sah, Foo2rama and 1 other person like this.
  3. BradleyJ. Feb 5, 2019

Thanks, looks like little to no lume on the dial though. Working at night and around train schedules requires me to constantly check the time. I actually just got the railmaster with intentions of it being my daily until I recieved it and it was in near mint condition. Now I dont want to use it at work Haha. My original intentions were to find a low cost RM that was pre beat. And yes I only got the RM cause of the name lol

kkt likes this.
  4. REckroat Feb 5, 2019

My first big boy watch, which has now become one of my beaters. A Swiss Army Maverick II Chrono. The dial is a bit larger than your specs above, but is no obtrusive in anyway. Water resistant, and the rubber band means I don’t have to worry much about scraping against anything. Durable as hell too, watch is over ten years old now and save for a couple nicks on the bezel, no issues with it. 512A131E-C311-42C0-A1C7-8E9931C088A9.jpeg

sah, Larry S and BradleyJ. like this.
  5. BradleyJ. Feb 5, 2019

I like it. Gonna check out those models now and see what comes up.

6. REckroat Feb 5, 2019

Here’s a shot of the lime. Not a professional photographer so this is just a few seconds with the phone flashlight. 85EF2C4F-2FCA-4BEB-96E3-6EB7D60FC9E8.jpeg

BradleyJ. likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 5, 2019

The small size SKX? I forget which not the 007/009 though.

8. adi4 Feb 6, 2019

This Seiko Prospex might fit the bill:

[​IMG]
    (from ABTW)

No day though and 42mm...

chanbar and Spruce like this.
  9. sah Feb 6, 2019

Timex Indiglo $30. My wife has the women's. She calls it her movie watch. Looks good.

220px-Timex_Weekender_Indiglo.gif shopping.jpeg.jpg
    Spruce likes this.
  10. Huus Feb 6, 2019

SKX 013
    38mm and a real little beater. All the lume you need, day-date function and within your price range.

11. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Feb 6, 2019

BradleyJ. likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2019

I can speak for the Maverick and Victorinox in general ... beat the living crap out of mine and now my son is beating the crap out of it. Still going strong.

BradleyJ. likes this.
  13. BradleyJ. Feb 6, 2019

Honestly size isn't a factor but more the thickness is. This would be a contender.

14. BradleyJ. Feb 6, 2019

This might be the winner. Although not auto, I dont really need it to be. This will fit the bill.

Thanks for the suggestions guy!!!

15. connieseamaster Feb 6, 2019

Get the dial swapped out on your Seiko. There are lots of after market parts for these models and plenty of dial designs with Superluminova even

16. BradleyJ. Feb 6, 2019

I did actually look into this. Although you can end up with a perfect piece that's your own the cost isnt cheap Haha. Still something I'm considering

17. gdupree Feb 6, 2019

[​IMG]

This checks every box, except for the day complication, and I love mine... If the day complication is a must, then Seiko is probably the way to go.

36-39mm --- it's 38mm
    Would prefer Arabic numerals, at least 3/6/9/12 ---- has them all
    Automatic --- Auto, handwinding, and hacking
    Between $1 to 300 --- new it can be found for $360, used for less, obv.
    Brite lume --- Very bright
    Day date --- Day, but no date.
    Anything else extra would be a perk. --- Sapphire crystal, very thin profile (11mm, I believe) and very little to snag on.

18. redzer007 Feb 6, 2019

First model of Hamilton Field Mechanical had had the price drop alot after release of the second iteration.

Not automatic and no day however

Screenshot_20190206-150708_Chrome.jpg

BradleyJ. and time flies like this.
  19. BradleyJ. Feb 6, 2019

The day comp isn't a deal breaker but I do work weird hours, days and nights, and i also have a terrible memory hence why the day feature is on the list. (I dont know if I'm coming or going some days never mind what day of the week it is) If my seiko 5 didnt have the day feature it would never get worn honestly. Its probably the only thing about the 5 that even keeps it from getting gifted to my young nephew Haha.

Hamilton has been on my radar for this purpose as well. I'm also considering selling both my Samsung S3s to fund the newest version that is smaller diameter (I forget how small) The S3s i have have the same thickness as my speedy pro but since the Speedy is 42mm it just wears wayyyyy smaller than the S3s. Id have to hit up best buy and try finding the new version cause they haven't been on display yet near me. Smart watches really do check all the boxes for me when it comes to work. And being automatic isnt really a deal breaker and could actually be more convenient.

20. ilayd Feb 6, 2019

You mentioned smart watches... so I had an odd idea. Look up the Pebble Round. They used to make amazing simple smart watches. The company was bought out by FitBit and they closed that division (a huge shame), but there is a company called Rebble that picked up a small monthly subscription support for the watch (something like $3/month). The Pebble uses color e-paper so the battery lasts for approx 2 days. 15 min charge to get it there. Can change the screen to any type you want that will display pretty much anything you want. Its backlit, small and super light. Looks very nice too with both leather or steel bands. Could be had for half the price you listed.

[​IMG]

In fact, that makes we want to dig mine out of the drawer and see what features still work on it or not... I'll report back later tonight.

BradleyJ. likes this.