Forums Latest Members
  1. wbfondren Jan 10, 2017

So I'm looking to buy a new watch. I'm using the old "it's an investment!" as a partial excuse for me to get it, but I would like to know that it will have the potential to increase in value over a few years (but who knows I could keep it for forever if it's THE piece).

I have a few things in mind, and I certainly have a budget (no higher than $12,500). But I'm more than happy to hear what you all think. First, let me start with what I've been looking around for:
    -Universal Geneve Tri-Compax
    -Breitling Datora 799
    -Anything vintage Patek (Not looking for anything specific, but would love suggestions!)
    -Rolex Precision
    -Rolex pre-daytona chronograph (though I'm not sure that the less expensive ones are legitimate)
    -New Rolex 116500LN with white dial

Now, to give you all a general idea of what I'm looking for. I want a watch that can be worn dressier, and though every watch on my list doesn't have a moon phase, this would be a plus. Basically what I'm looking for is a good buy of an authentic watch in great condition.

This was pretty broad, but I'm open to suggestions or commentary. Thanks!

2. hrobi Jan 15, 2017

For dressier watches at that price point with a moon phase (I'd view it more as, $15k and below?) I think these options are great:

- Breguet moon phase 3330, white or yellow gold (37mm, older generation)
    Really anything by breguet in your price range is amazing. I think this dial is unique and beautiful, probably would go white gold. They're not very common, and wear very well, since it's 37mm but mostly dial:

[​IMG]

- JLC Pereptual or Master Calendar, steel (37mm, also older generation, 39mm current gen is a few thousand more second hand)
    The master calendar goes for as low as $6.5k second hand, great value!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Glashutte original senator moon (39mm, steel)
    well below your budget, even brand new, but beautiful watches!

[​IMG]

I think your suggestions of a Universal Geneve Tri-Compax are great, the perpetual calendar chronograph moonphase from the 60's is amazing! but that model is more around the $20k+ mark I think.

I've been thinking about a mid term grail at that same pricepoint, 12.5k or so, and have found it's a little bit awkward. Not quite Patek (except vintage) or A Lange & Sohne territory, and is quite a bit above steel prices, and yet below gold prices, of brands like JLC, Glashutte Original, etc.

I'd say Breguet are the best value for money dress watches at this pricepoint second hand, with beautiful and unique cases and dials, in a precious metal (gold). Otherwise, I would go a sports piece:

- Rolex Pepsi GMT 1675 (stunning looking watch, amazing with a suit and casual too)

[​IMG]

- AP royal oak jumbo (39mm)
    you'll need to increase your budget by a few thousand, but a beautiful watch. AP charge ridiculous amounts for servicing though I've heard, so beware. the jumbo 39mm is by far the best iteration of the royal oak IMO, classic softer lines, and vintage proportions.

[​IMG]

3. hrobi Jan 15, 2017

Overall I think you should go for a sportier piece, and save up for a A Lange & Sohne.

A vintage Rolex Submariner or GMT from the 70s is amazing and a keeper for life, that'll only go up in value. Get that, then save up for a high end luxury dressier piece!