Forums Latest Members

Help: reputable sellers in the UK, or buy at auction?

1. Impgreene Jan 18, 2020

Hi All,

I'm a Newbie here, and to vintage watches (I own a modern Seamaster, and a modern IWC, but nothing vintage).

I am looking to buy a steel vintage Omega Seamaster Calibre 562 Vintage as a more classy formal watch (essentially as the one in the attached photo), but when I look at what is available online and then looks for the reviews of the sellers I get so lost in the world of possible disreputable sellers and possible fakes that my search grinds to a halt (happy to pay the true price, I just don't want to get ripped off!).

I wondered if anyone knew any reputable dealers that have proper offline premises (as well as an online presence) the UK (so that I can actually go and look at the watches, although I have to admit to not really knowing what I am looking at, hence why I need a reputable seller!)?

The alternative for me (living close to London) is that I simple wait for one to come up at a watch auction (e.g. Bonhams), so I wondered what people thought of this idea?

I am sure these questions have come up before, so if you have any links to previous discussions on the forum please do let me know.

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

s-l1600.jpg
  2. jsducote Jan 18, 2020

re: auctions - I set up alerts on the-saleroom and invaluable (auction aggregators) which send me emails from time to time. When I find a reference that I'm interested in, I "watch" a lot of lots and then they show up in my history. Then, when I feel like I've learned enough, seen examples of what comes to market (the good and the bad), I have a resource to refer back to. Alerts on watchrecon, watchpatrol, and mywatchmart will also help you keep tabs on what's moving and for how much.

Impgreene and DaveK like this.
  3. Impgreene Jan 18, 2020

Thanks 'jsducote', will try that for a while.

4. jsducote Jan 18, 2020

If you don't mark lots as watched/favorited then they often disappear, along with the final hammer price.

Impgreene likes this.
  5. Davidt Jan 18, 2020

Be aware the one on your picture is over polished and has been redialled so isn't a good example.

Original examples of these watches come up pretty frequently on eBay. If you find one that interests you, post some pictures and we'll take a look.

6. Impgreene Jan 18, 2020

Thanks for this - to be honest I sort of gave up on eBay as when I did a bit of digging most of the sellers seemed to be a bit questionable - that searching is what led me here (as this site has saved me from a few sellers already).

Only issue now is that I'm worried about buying anything as I realise I'm not on top of the subject matter (hard for someone who just wants to dive in and buy 1 or 2 vintage watches to wear rather than collect a larger collection) - that's why I was erring towards the more reputable but less expensive auction houses (e.g. Bonhams), as I figured that would increase my probability of not getting ripped off!

7. Davidt Jan 18, 2020

There's plenty of nice, vintage Seamaster dress watches at any given time. A bit of research should give you the basics, but also keep an eye on the for sale section here.

Impgreene likes this.
  8. Impgreene Jan 18, 2020

Thanks 'Davidt'.

9. Dan S Jan 18, 2020

I think we're all aware who is selling the one in the picture, and by any name, montre48/vividlily is to be avoided.

Impgreene likes this.
  10. Impgreene Jan 18, 2020

Noted, thank you Dan.

11. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 18, 2020

There are a few nice watch shops along the South Coast. I often browse 2 or 3 in the centre of Bournemouth. They seem have a few vintage Omegas from time to time.

Jump on a train at Waterloo and have a day out at the Seaside. :)

Impgreene likes this.
  12. Impgreene Jan 19, 2020

Good idea, always liked Bournemouth!

I actually live in Kent if you knew any good dealers towards the Kent / Sussex / Central London part of the world?

Thanks again for the help.