Forums Latest Members

Ebay for vintage - reputable sellers list?

1. Hussein01 Jun 12, 2016

Hi team

I've been looking at vintage watches. But I had some reservations about buying on eBay as I'm by no means an eBay veteran.

I've found eLady to have reasonable prices and seem OK. That's as far as I've got! Lol!

Just wondering if some of the guys in the know can can help me and everyone reading this to identify the reputable sellers on eBay with authentic watches and good service. It would be nice to know that these guys provide a good customer service also. But I guess not the end of the world if they don't.

On the flip side, are there any sellers that anyone has been burnt by?? Maybe list them here also...

Maybe we can create a list of reputable sellers and dishonourable ones. Would be good for everyone here and would stop those fraudsters who are potentially out there.

Thanks in advance team!

Best Regards

Hussein

PS if it's not a vintage seller still post them up! It's good to know regardless.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 12, 2016

3. Hussein01 Jun 12, 2016

Thanks. That does most of the work lol. Well if there are anymore the. Feel free to add.

I'm in the uk though it isn't necessary to buy fro uk retailers. Would be nice to see some.

Any experience with eLady?

Thanks again efauser! :)

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 12, 2016

No but if you search eLady, there was a thread about them, recently.

5. ulackfocus Jun 12, 2016

Don't buy anything from the Ukranian frankenmaster Wandolec.

I've also been burnt by f.q.watches and a few South American sellers whose eBay IDs escape me right now. One in particular had a screen name similar to delaplava - I discussed him with several members, including @alam a few times.

6. Hussein01 Jun 12, 2016

Thanks both

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2016

The best way to determine the "safety level" of a seller is review all feedback, items sold and items bought.
    Also check ID history, you get to recognise old IDs that rang a bell in the past.
    Look for weasel words in descriptions and study photographs over and over.

And then there are the unknowns.
    A very low feedback seller who has only bought shoes or CDs but is selling a vintage watch, usually accompanied by amateur photography and a generic description.
    These are sometimes children or nephews passing on something they have no appreciation for.
    These are worth further investigation and even communication with the seller. One benefit is that if the item is priced too high and it's passed in they may be open to offers and you have already established a rapport with them.

And finally, do your last minute check here (but not at the last minute).
    And don't be scared that you will expose your secret treasure, you'd be naive to imagine that hundreds of other collectors (here and elsewhere) don't have multiple auction house, eBay, Gumtree etc searches set up and may have passed on your target for various reasons that they would be willing to divulge.

And to quote one of the real professionals in this game:

Good Hunting!

dougiedude likes this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 12, 2016

You may already know this, but this Forum is a great source...

I've found most of my vintage watches right here, with about 95% of those from private owners.

The nicest thing is, you can be almost 100% certain of your seller to be honest, forthright, and accurate!

efauser and Tubber like this.
  9. LarryOz Jun 13, 2016

I'vew looked at her watches. I think she is reputable, but some of the older watches seem a little overpolished.

10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 13, 2016

I bought 2 watches from elady in 2014. No issues