Forums Latest Members

Help! Real or Not SMP 41mm Automatic

1. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

My son purchased this watch off of Poshmark (USA) which gets sent to Posh HQ for evaluation. It was naked so no papers, etc.. Posh does not open the caseback to look at the movement. They approve it as authentic based off of logo, material, etc.. My son received a card from them which said it was genuine. He accepted it due to that. The Seller was paid. Now that I have received it, I am seeing some things that are not looking right to me.

Can a watch maker on this forum look at the pictures and tell me if this is genuine or a replica? I can add a pic of the bracelet. I removed it because the clasp was a little bent and not very secure. He didn't spend a ton on it but it's his hard earned money he used to buy me a gift.

I can send this back to Posh for them to re-evaluate, and if they feel it's fake, they'll refund the money. I want to use, either an email from a Jeweler (PM me and i'll give you my email address), or some pointers to provide them to consider. I have to send it back tomorrow or lose the chance to get a refund so I can't take it somewhere... not enough time.

Thank you very much!

back.jpg IMG_7436.jpg IMG_7456.jpg IMG_7475.jpg IMG_7487.jpg IMG_7493 (1).jpg
  2. KeithS Sep 18, 2020

You'll need to post better pictures. From the ones you've posted, however, it looks like the helium escape valve is lined up with the 10 o'clock marker and the lume pip on the bezel looks wrong–so my guess is that it's a fake.

3. Meme-Dweller Sep 18, 2020

fakeroooonie

fakeroonie.jpg
    Wetworks likes this.
  4. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

That's what I saw. The PIP is raised and the escapement is above the 10.

5. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

That pic was one in the direct sunlight. The other pic is not as exaggerated of a wave reflection. I can see the difference without that sunlight beaming off of the dial though.

6. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

Be careful if buying from Posh. They said they sent it to a 3rd party to verify, but didn't say what they did. Posh makes 20% off the sell so they have a vested interest in approving.

7. Iceter Sep 18, 2020

Second hand is misshapen, bezel isn’t even close to lined up with the ridges around the perimeter and the case contours look wonky. I’m not even close to an expert but that watch would give me pause.

8. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

Would it be possible for a Jeweler or Watchmaker to email me stating it’s not genuine? I understand if you can’t and I’ll just mail it in with some specifics that don’t look right.

9. flw history nerd Sep 18, 2020

The hour hand is too short ... on the second generation model, which this one pretends to be, Omega used a longer one.

10. dstfno Sep 18, 2020

This watch seems off. Wrong seconds hand, and the minute and hour hands are the short ones from the first generation. I would not buy this

11. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

Thanks. Unfortunately my son bought it. posh authenticated it as genuine. He accepted. Gave it to me 2 days ago and I’ve been fighting them. They finally said I can send it back to them and they’ll review it again. I’m trying to make sure the seller can’t do this again and my son gets his money back. I have to mail it off to them tomorrow.

12. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

There’s so many variations of the Seamaster I can’t tell. I believe that is the 36mm caseback as well. Not the 41mm

13. Walrus Sep 18, 2020

Well it was very nice of your son to do. Sorry it turned out this way. Good to know to be wary of posh. Actually I didn’t know about them until you mentioned them but it’s good to know anyway. I hope you get this straightened out.

14. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

Thanks. He’s a good kid. Starting to get in to watches on his own. Luckily he didn’t spend much on it but still more than a very high end fake would cost. Lessons learned.

Walrus likes this.
  15. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

546DE2A8-B374-4E2E-973F-07B20392C8AA.jpeg 8E8B098D-545D-48E8-AF47-3CA716D0BE55.jpeg CFF83950-94BA-4EAA-B620-685722B6BD72.jpeg 540586D7-0B79-4E1A-80AC-C07FFFE50F5B.jpeg
  16. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

Also this bezel is not unidirectional.

17. Syzygy Sep 18, 2020

The side by side picture with a genuine one is a good start...print that out and send it with all the other comments noted so far. It's not genuine, and seeing it next to a real one makes every detail jump out and kick your eyeballs!

Bryan R likes this.
  18. Meme-Dweller Sep 18, 2020

When's the last time you've seen an applied Omega logo but printed OMEGA? It's either both applied or both printed. The 3 o'clock lume plot doesn't even have a border... and that's before we get to the fact that it doesn't have a serial number

Bryan R likes this.
  19. Donn Chambers Sep 18, 2020

No one has mentioned the most obvious tell that I noticed, so I’ll mention it — the real one has a raised metal OMEGA and the Seamaster is in red. The fake one has OMEGA printed and the Seamaster is in silver. Also note the thickness of the lower text.

this one doesn’t even attack to look correct, IMO. I’d pull the back off and show the seller the movement — no way it is even close to looking Close to correct.

Never heard of this Poshmark but I think I’ll pass.

Bryan R likes this.
  20. Bryan R Sep 18, 2020

They are a resell online store where people can sell their stuff though Poshmark’s platform. posh takes a fee for collecting the funds and providing shipping labels. Anything over $500 is supposedly authenticated. Good idea if they actually vet the products sold.